Mooring recommendations (Calder and Hebble/Rochdale Canal)

Gimley

Featured Posts

Hi all

My other half and I have been constantly cruising for the last 7 months and have found this forum a wealth of information both before we bought our boat and whilst we've been moving around. We're at a point where we're brave enough to dip our toe in so here goes.

We are aiming to leave the Huddersfield Broad Canal and our winter destination is Chester. Up to now we've found moorings as we've explored.

In two weeks we need to stay in one location for a week, due to work commitments.  I need to let my employee know this location on Monday. We are looking for recommendations for moorings either on the Calder and Hebble or Rochdale (before the summit). 

It'd be nice to have a decent pub in walking distance and a good shop within a couple of miles but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please be gentle ;-)

Edited by Gimley

Having just completed the Rochdale ( managing to reach safety today) I concour with above. Todmorden, very limited mooring but you will find one. It has a great Weatherspoons, I recommend the Aberdeen Angus. and there is a Lidl just off the towpath, or a Morrisons in town just a 5 minute walk from the White Hart (locals only ! )

I must say that unless your life depends on it, try to avoid the Rochdale though. Coming down from the Summit was a little bit tricky with water the moorings are very few and far between. Also even the lock landings are virtually impossible to land your boat, also risking prop fouling at every reverse, 3 times just today !! From Littleborough all the way down to Manchester, if you have to go, best to avoid altogether Rochdale, Failsworth ( or Foulsworth as I will always remember it)

Hebden was nice but moorings were all taken by overstayers, those left were very shallow, no idea of shops, but my mate google may help you there. Brighouse on the C and H was very usefull with Sainsbury on the visitors mooring or Tesco just across the road.

Good luck.

Your best bet is Sowerby Bridge, below Lock 1 of the Rochdale, just opposite my mooring. Lots of pubs, with my favourite the Shepherd's Rest up the Hill, but several others nearer.  Lidl just above Tuel Lane Lock, Tesco a bit further and several other shops in Wharf Street.  Excellent transport links. And a very helpful boatyard in Shire Cruisers.  Why do you think I go back there every winter?

5 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Your best bet is Sowerby Bridge, below Lock 1 of the Rochdale, just opposite my mooring. Lots of pubs, with my favourite the Shepherd's Rest up the Hill, but several others nearer.  Lidl just above Tuel Lane Lock, Tesco a bit further and several other shops in Wharf Street.  Excellent transport links. And a very helpful boatyard in Shire Cruisers.  Why do you think I go back there every winter?

Yes, that was my first thought. On my current trip I had to pop home for the weekend and left my boat just around the corner on the 72 hrs visitor moorings opposite Shire Cruisers but immediately below lock 1 looked fine too. Shire Cruisers also offer short-term mooring @ £5 per night.

As above - Sowerby Bridge, Hebden Bridge, Littleborough,  Todmorden - We moored on the towpath opposite the sanitary station because it was full with no problems. The wharf with the pub is good, can't remember the name. We have moored overnight above Tuel Lock to do shopping with no problems.