Theme update 05/08/2017

RichM

Featured Posts

Evening all,

Just a quick one to let you know that I have applied a theme update to the Shift theme. All we know is that the update includes a number of bug fixes but does not include any design/feature changes.

It is probably worth notiing that the Shift theme is not optimised for use in IE. This is because it uses features which IE does not cope with very well. The Shift theme is designed for and optimised with:

- Chrome
- Firefox
- Safari
- Microsoft Edge

If you have problems using the Shift theme in IE then I recommend either switching to one of the browsers listed above or if you wish to continue using IE, you may switch to the "Legacy" theme which should work fine. In all honesty, IE is not a particularly great browser and hasn't been for quite some time so to be frank I'm not going to get into an argument with the developer over it.

Other than that, if you have any problems, please reply in this topic.

Cheers

RichM

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Help - my screen has gone to 'infinite width' again.

Rich M fixed it last time - any chance you can do it again ?

Due to the significance of this and contrary to what I mentioned in my original post, I have reported it to IPSFocus though I would strongly encourage you to use one of the following browsers: 

- Chrome
- Firefox
- Microsoft Edge

Not just because IE is somewhat lacking, but also because you will likely stumble across many wonky looking websites in time to come if you continue using it. The sooner you jump ship the better imho. Even MtB uses Chrome!

Personally I use Chrome. If you wish and if you need help installing & moving over to it, I will be more than happy to help you with the short voyage. - drop me a PM.

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I haven't used Internet Explorer since the 1990's

You are a wise-man and also a very lucky one. Sadly I am forced to use it (even if only briefly) due to the number of issues people report when using it. 

Just now, RichM said:

You are a wise-man and also a very lucky one. Sadly I am forced to use it (even if only briefly) due to the number of issues people report when using it. 

Is it not called edge or something similar these days? Or is that something different 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've only just stopped using Mosaic...

Was that on your zx80? 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Is it not called edge or something similar these days? Or is that something different 

Edge is a separate browser but developed by Microsoft. It is not IE and likely has a different name due to the reputation IE has but that is just my theory. Unfortunately though, Microsoft Edge is only available for Windows 10...

1 minute ago, RichM said:

Edge is a separate browser but developed by Microsoft. It is not IE and likely has a different name due to the reputation IE has but that is just my theory. Unfortunately though, Microsoft Edge is only available for Windows 10...

I see, thanks. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Heffalump said:

Edge is just as crap as IE.

I've given up making my web application work in IE. HTML5 doesn't like it, CSS3 doesn't like it, Rails doesn't like it, and I don't like it!

Thank you. It is always good to hear from developers with a technical insight into the matter. 

7 minutes ago, RichM said:

Thank you. It is always good to hear from developers with a technical insight into the matter. 

It's got to the stage where I'm about to check users browsers and if they're on IE pop a banner up pointing out IE's crapness and the fact that other browsers are faster and better.

• Greenie 1

Ok, so I have the infinite width prob in IE as well. It only appears when I try to read a topic. The home page and pages under sub headings are fine, its just the topics that are effected. I am using Chrome to reply here as I cannot locate the 'Submit Reply' button in IE. 

How does one change the theme in IE?

5 minutes ago, Heffalump said:

It's got to the stage where I'm about to check users browsers and if they're on IE pop a banner up pointing out IE's crapness and the fact that other browsers are faster and better.

What would you recommend. I currently use chromium, but have in the past liked Firefox and Opera. 

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

What would you recommend. I currently use chromium, but have in the past liked Firefox and Opera. 

I use Chrome on Windows and Chromium on Linux, but it's personal preference really, Firefox is good but lacks some compatibility, Opera is dead now.

Here's a snapshot from the analytics on my website/web application based on the last 173 sessions:

image.png.d2a9979439e76f366e8f61ef3d1d8567.png

The demographic is a bit different to here, the average user is aged 12-18, but it shows that generally it's being accessed by mobile devices using safari and chrome, so these are the browsers I focus on.

2 minutes ago, Heffalump said:

I use Chrome on Windows and Chromium on Linux, but it's personal preference really, Firefox is good but lacks some compatibility, Opera is dead now.

Here's a snapshot from the analytics on my website/web application based on the last 173 sessions:

The demographic is a bit different to here, the average user is aged 12-18, but it shows that generally it's being accessed by mobile devices using safari and chrome, so these are the browsers I focus on.

Interesting stats. I take it safari is apple only. Opera still exists on Android, or did you mean no one uses it anymore. 

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Interesting stats. I take it safari is apple only. Opera still exists on Android, or did you mean no one uses it anymore. 

Yes, both for Mac & almost exclusively in my example iPhone / iPad devices.

Opera is still about just not used by many and I'm sure in those cases where it is used it is not through choice!

Just now, Heffalump said:

Yes, both for Mac & almost exclusively in my example iPhone / iPad devices.

Opera is still about just not used by many and I'm sure in those cases where it is used it is not through choice!

It seems lots of youngsters prefer

i-thingies. 

52 minutes ago, Heffalump said:

I think we might have to do something similar though it would be presented in the same way that cookie notifications are. (though we don't currently do that either.)

49 minutes ago, AllanC said:

Ok, so I have the infinite width prob in IE as well. It only appears when I try to read a topic. The home page and pages under sub headings are fine, its just the topics that are effected. I am using Chrome to reply here as I cannot locate the 'Submit Reply' button in IE. 

How does one change the theme in IE?

You can click "Theme" at the bottom and choose "Legacy".`

38 minutes ago, Heffalump said:

That's interesting. I have included our stats below for those who are interested. IE usage is higher than I'd like to see so will have to do something regards to this width issue. Sighhhhhhh.

browserusage.png

19 minutes ago, RichM said:

I think we might have to do something similar though it would be presented in the same way that cookie notifications are. (though we don't currently do that either.)

You can click "Theme" at the bottom and choose "Legacy".`

That's interesting. I have included our stats below for those who are interested. IE usage is higher than I'd like to see so will have to do something regards to this width issue. Sighhhhhhh.

browserusage.png

So, the old farts use Chrome, the young bucks use Safari, and the dinosaurs use I. E