Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
magictime

Health crisis - tea and sympathy please!

Featured Posts

So, about ten days ago I had a couple of very severe but very short-lived headaches followed by feeling sick when I moved. Phoned the GP after a couple of days in bed thinking I had labyrinthitis. Sent to A&E... turns out I'd actually had a cerebellar (brain) haemorrage. Patched up by the radiologist & now back home recovering. Still very tired and very wobbly (on crutches) but hopeful of making a full recovery & very aware that I've been lucky compared to the large proportion of people suffering the same problem who just die more or less on the spot.

Feeling a bit shaken as you can imagine but just wanted to share.

• Greenie 2

Sheeesh, as you say a lucky escape.  I had a cousin who had exactly the same symptoms but he left it too late, eventually he raised the alarm got an ambulance and they rushed him to hospital but he died the same day.  He was only 40.   

Best wishes for a speedy recovery mate.   

They are scary things.  I responded to a patient only in his 30s once who had woken up with a lightning bolt headache and vomiting, it was a subarachnoid haemorrhage too.

Hope you start feeling better soon, and you don't have to take too many horse tablets!

Sending our love your way.

Thanks Neil. Sorry to hear about your cousin. Similar age to me too (42). I had a not-quite-contemporary at school who died of a similar thing at 38. I certainly feel lucky to have (touch wood!) got away with that 2/3-day delay. Guess the initial bleed(s) must have stopped themselves fairly quickly & then it was just a question of getting the problem area fixed before another, maybe bigger bleed.

2 minutes ago, Heffalump said:

They are scary things.  I responded to a patient only in his 30s once who had woken up with a lightning bolt headache and vomiting, it was a subarachnoid haemorrhage too.

Hope you start feeling better soon, and you don't have to take too many horse tablets!

Sending our love your way.

Thanks. No, not too many horse tablets! Bit of codeine but not been having the sort of headaches others seem to have as part of recovery.

1 hour ago, magictime said:

So, about ten days ago I had a couple of very severe but very short-lived headaches followed by feeling sick when I moved. Phoned the GP after a couple of days in bed thinking I had labyrinthitis. Sent to A&E... turns out I'd actually had a cerebellar (brain) haemorrage. Patched up by the radiologist & now back home recovering. Still very tired and very wobbly (on crutches) but hopeful of making a full recovery & very aware that I've been lucky compared to the large proportion of people suffering the same problem who just die more or less on the spot.

Feeling a bit shaken as you can imagine but just wanted to share.

All the very best for a speedy and safe recovery - how very scary it must have been for you.

I have no knowledge or experience on the subject at all, have they recommended that you change anything in you lifestyle or diet?  Or is it just one of those things that can happen to otherwise healthy people?

Do take care of yourself

27 minutes ago, Bettie Boo said:

All the very best for a speedy and safe recovery - how very scary it must have been for you.

I have no knowledge or experience on the subject at all, have they recommended that you change anything in you lifestyle or diet?  Or is it just one of those things that can happen to otherwise healthy people?

Do take care of yourself

Thanks. It seems like it really was just one of those things in my case. At some point my brain generated a new bit of wiring, a fistula, where the veins were just being asked to take blood under too much pressure, with result that eventually something gave out.

35 minutes ago, Athy said:

Wishing you a magical recovery, take care young man.

Thanks Athy, will do.

Hope you make a full and quick recovery.

In the meantime you should take it easy and spend more time on this forum :)

Wimp. Get over it. 

Seriously - jeez!  :)

Best wishes!

Thanks all!

On the plus side, it's,served to refocus my mind on my ambition of living aboard next year and not the year after or the year after that. I need to recover first though cos I'm damned if I could stand on deck and steer a boat right now!

2 hours ago, magictime said:

Thanks all!

On the plus side, it's,served to refocus my mind on my ambition of living aboard next year and not the year after or the year after that. I need to recover first though cos I'm damned if I could stand on deck and steer a boat right now!

Good news on your outcome indeed. It could be a blessing in disguise after all!! Please don't become one of the many " Gunna dos " that are gonna do this that and the other in a " few years time " and gunna be liveaboards etc etc, I have met too many who simply die dreaming about it. We have cruised and worked/owned businesses for the best part of 30 years now so have done it lots of times but keep talking about retiring and cruising full time again without going back to working but its always been talk. A couple of months ago after tests I was in front of a surgeon who told me I had a tumour on my left kidney and his experience it is nearly always cancer and I needed an op. I already have chronic kidney disease so in a six hour operation my kidney was dissected and two tumours removed the week after I was diagnosed basically, reason being removing the kidney which they would have prefeerd was not good in my condition as one poorly kidney left would have struggled. Anyway last week I was back at hospital being told the very lucky news that both tumours were benign and they were very surprised!! phew, close call and the tumours had to come out anyway. So after all this ramble what do you think I am going to be doing from next spring onwards.............

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

So after all this ramble what do you think I am going to be doing from next spring onwards.........

.....No ,you're not doing the BCN challenge are you?:)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Anyway last week I was back at hospital being told the very lucky news that both tumours were benign and they were very surprised!! phew, close call and the tumours had to come out anyway. So after all this ramble what do you think I am going to be doing from next spring onwards.............

Good news and good luck! It's a strange feeling to know you've come that close.

I've always tried to be conscious that you just never know how long you're going to be around to do this, that or the other, or in a suitable state of health. We bought our first boat from someone who'd no sooner bought it himself aged 60-ish to enjoy some retirement cruising with his wife, than she'd been diagnosed with terminal cancer. But it's still easy to start thinking, one more year... Not now! If I'm fit and well enough, and barring some big financial problem, we're off when our youngest moves out next summer.

• Greenie 1

Best wishes from me too.

Now, take it easy, do as you're told and get better soon.

That is an order, I can give you email addresses of those who have disobeyed my orders, they will confirm the dire consequences that they experienced. Those that can still type that is.......

Just back from doing a minor fix this morning. Tenant looked in a bad way and told me almost immediately she'd just heard that her fit and healthy brother had died today. He was crossing the road and was hit by a speeding motorcycle. Deep shock.

One's life can come to a unexpected finish at any minute...

Makes us all realize how fragile we are. Hope all of you who are not too well make speedy recoveries so you can get on with your lives.

As they say "There but for the Grace etc.

Cheers Tim

Sign in to follow this