Pump out removal

Featured Posts

Morning All, 

I know there is debate over various toilet systems and which is best / awful but after searching I cant seem to find the answer I am looking.  Long story short, I am in the process of moving onto a narrowboat, using it as a liveaboard. It currently has a dump through pump out toilet system (system has a few issues, potentially leaking tank sick.gif) I want to remove this system and replace with a composting toilet, something like the nature's head most likely. 

Does anyone here have any experience removing these systems. In my head I think I should be able to get the holding tank clean(ish), seal up the hole from the WC and then leave it vented and in situ. As the composting toilet requires no plumbing it can sit where the pump out toilet used to sit. 

Tank is steel construction, not sure if it is integrated into the hull or not. It would require a considerable about of deconstruction particularly of the bathroom and floor to remove the tank. 

Any thoughts? suggestions? or input? 

Many thanks

If you're leaving the tank in situ, after pumping out, flushing and pumping out again, I would get a wet vac tube through the hole where you've removed the bowl and get any remaining wet stuff out. Then chuck the wet vac away! Stick a fan over the hole and try to dry it out before sealing it up. I know you're leaving it vented but you still want the tank as dry as possible before sealing it up. Maybe chuck some cat litter or nappies down there before sealing it? Not sure if that's a good idea or not?

Edited by blackrose

Thinking aloud, but if the tank is completely sealed then once all the oxygen has been used up, rusting will stop, so may be better to seal it rather than venting it as condensation will encourage rusting etc.  I would not put nappies or cat litter in without removing it as  it will hold wetness against the steel.  If you are going to seal it, you could put a big dish of desiccant  in there to soak up any moisture so as to keep the steel dry, but as above, if sealed, once the oxygen is used up rusting will stop, but if there are any very tiny air leaks, the desiccant should last for years.  If you do seal it up, the tank may make the occasional noise as the air inside expands and contracts with temperature and the tank flexes.

Still thinking, but if you don't want it sealed, then I would consider using a desiccant breather, and change the desiccant from time to time, that way there will only be dry air in the tank.

Finished thinking now, and need a rest.