Our new adventure day 13

Debs

Featured Posts

We woke up to another calm and beautiful day on the canal. We had a leisurely breakfast on our directors chairs on the bank in the morning sunshine and a little bluebird came and sat on my finger! I then woke up to the sound of the wind thrashing the side of the boat! Yet again, it seems like another glorious summer day! NOT!  We struggled getting off the bank before making our way, the long 100m, to the lock! We set off in the hope to get to Cropredy in time for lunch. As we hit the flight of locks that is Claydon, the rain started falling as well. Not that it was forecast on the BBC whether app! It really is a shame as this part of the canal is absolutely beautiful when the weather is good! 

The going was slow again today because of the wind but eventually, we made our way down the flight with minor upheaval! As we approached Cropredy we were told that mooring was extremely tight as there was a music festival on at the moment! Apparently, Petula Clark was doing a stint there too! I just hope I'm going that strong when I'm her age! 

So, we get to Cropredy and we waved to the marina that we bought the boat from. We then navigated the very narrow route down to the next lock. There was absolutely nowhere to moor so we decided to just make our way to the service point, fill up with water, empty the toilet and get rid of the rubbish!  I also had a cheeky little visit to the village shop to get some bread and fish fingers. 

As we were just going into the service point, another boat was about to turn around so we held the boat back to give it some room. Unfortunately for the poor lady trying to navigate this manoeuvre, the wind decided that it didn't want her going in the opposite direction and did everything in its power to bugger her up! I suppose it wasn't helped that her husband was shouting directions to her and she was getting totally flustered! I did offer to take her ropes but she refused the offer and eventually managed to turn around! Having sorted our lives out, we made our way along the canal and I made fish finger sandwiches for a much needed lunch. When we arrived at the next lock, the lady from the other boat was opening our sluice for us. She asked if I was the person she had shouted at and apologised profusely. She said that she had got very stressed doing the manoeuvre but she shouldn't have shouted! She didn't have to apologise to me but she took time to do so. She was a really nice lady in the end which just goes to show, you shouldn't ever judge people on first expressions! 

We finally made our way into Banbury at about 5pm. This is where we are for the night! We have been to The Autioneer pub for THE most amazing steak you could ever have! (Again)! I will endeavour to win some more money from Mick at cards tonight before snuggling down with the sound of the skateboarders practicing in the car park and the wineos singing their little hearts out under the bridges! Bliss!

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2582.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2583.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

Yes, the festival starts next Thursday and Petula Clark is indeed on the bill.

If you go back through Cropredy later in your journey, by which time most of the festival traffic will have departed, do stop theer and have a look - it is a charming place with many old stone buildings and interesting little lanes, and you will get a good meal at the Brasenose Arms about 300 yards from the town bridge.

never underestimate the restorative powers of a good fish finger butty :D

if you are using an iPhone, I can recommend an app called Home and Dry by a developer called MetDesk, it uses radar images from the last two hours to then project weather movement for the next four if memory serves, its usually pretty accurate to within 10-15mins from my experience. Not sure if it initially costs anything though. I do also use BBC Weather & AccuWeather and i'm just trialling the Met Office Weather Forecast app.

keep up the posts, very enjoyable.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, the festival starts next Thursday and Petula Clark is indeed on the bill.

If you go back through Cropredy later in your journey, by which time most of the festival traffic will have departed, do stop theer and have a look - it is a charming place with many old stone buildings and interesting little lanes, and you will get a good meal at the Brasenose Arms about 300 yards from the town bridge.

I love Cropredy. It's where we bought the boat from as well. Last year we sat in the garden of the Red Lion listening to the bells from the church, beautiful!

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

never underestimate the restorative powers of a good fish finger butty :D

if you are using an iPhone, I can recommend an app called Home and Dry by a developer called MetDesk, it uses radar images from the last two hours to then project weather movement for the next four if memory serves, its usually pretty accurate to within 10-15mins from my experience. Not sure if it initially costs anything though. I do also use BBC Weather & AccuWeather and i'm just trialling the Met Office Weather Forecast app.

keep up the posts, very enjoyable.

BBC weather was rubbish yesterday however, it also said that there would be thunder and lightning today so let's hope it stays rubbish! 

Im glad you like the posts. X

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

Just downloading Home and Dry - not tried it yet. £2.99

Can you let me know if it's good please? X