Our new adventure day 12

Debs

Featured Posts

As we had cracked on last night, we only had three locks to do before we were on a very long stretch with nothing but open countryside. Unfortunately, it was a Winnie The Poo day (blustery!). Still, at least it wasn't raining, who am I kidding, it was raining cats and dogs! Not just any old rain, this was wet rain! That, coupled with the now, force 10 gale made the journey a tad slow! 

However, as I said there were no locks or swing bridges to do so I found it quite relaxing. Mick on the other hand was fighting all the way! Apart from when we went to come out at Marston Doles lock and we couldn't get round the corner as the wind wouldn't let us. We decided to pull the boat round the bend by hand but there was a very pretty, very dumb duck who wanted to be friends and didn't realise the danger of being between a 15.5 ton boat and the canal bank. After much shooing, stomping of feet and flapping of hands it finally decided that it would move out of the way. No ducks have been harmed in the making of this memory (yet!).

There were a lot of different hire boats out today. You can't help feeling sorry for the people that hire a boat for the week at a considerable cost and possibly as a one off to then have the weather that we've had this week! Anyway, as I said, we cracked on regardless! We decided that we would stop at Fenny Compton for something to eat before setting off again and finding somewhere to moor before it was too late again tonight. I would like to say the scenery was stunning but because of the greyness of the day the best of the British countryside was kept under wraps for another day. 

As we approached Fenny Compton Wharf we noticed a policeman on the towpath. He gave us a smile and a wave. They're a friendly bunch up here! We moored up with no problem today. We have been to this pub before and found it really hard to get moored but today there were loads of spaces. Not so many when we came out after lunch though. Lunch was lovely and when the waitress came to collect our plates, she asked how our food was. Mick, being Mick said: "food was lovely, company was rubbish." To which she replied: "maybe you should buy someone else then!" I have never seen Mick as speechless as he was today! It made my day! 

So, yet again, we set off into the wetness. We went through a tunnel that isn't and under a lift bridge that was already lifted and eventually came to a mooring spot just up from the next set of locks. They can wait until tomorrow! We are now sat in the boat cuccooned from the wind and the rain. We have wine in our glasses and the world is a beautiful place. 

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_8689.PNG

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2564.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_2568.JPG