Daventry Arm Progress

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

It comes off around here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2801949,-1.1406745,241m/data=!3m1!1e3

then goes round the reservoir

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2682953,-1.1474769,1200m/data=!3m1!1e3

through this bridge that has already been built for it

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2621517,-1.1574728,3a,75y,107.48h,81.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJx-qfEWN_11nFIya_ldVYA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

and ends in a basin in the playing fields

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2613505,-1.1617241,485m/data=!3m1!1e3

or something like that.  I am dubious that it will happen given there seems to be so much opposition to it.

It look easy, there are no road bridges except the one already built, but there is something like 6 locks, or 2 locks and a boat lift as one proposal has it.

Edited by john6767

The newspaper article was an interesting read. Usually I never agree with views of the local council, but for once I tend to agree with them.

We are not from that part of the country and indeed if we hadnt got our boat at Wigrams, we might never have visited Daventry. I certainly find it a bit of a 'dull' place with nothing that persuades me to go there (maybe just not found the right incentive!!!!). The councillor is right saying that Daventry needs to be different if it wants to attract visitors - if that is what they want to do!!!! A canal arm and a boat lift would be a good way to do it.

Falkirk pointed the way in the 'naughties' building the Falkirk wheel and more recently the Kelpies. We lived up north for 20 years - in a posh place - not that far from Falkirk and Falkirk was one of those places you avoided going to (except when you needed to buy something at lunch time!). The investment in the canal there has made a huge difference....lots of visitors...but its still a bit of a naff place.

3 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Thanks for that, so it should end up near Tesco, Homebase and McDonalds?

Well, if it's built it may draw other investors to open up something a little more captivating than those.

With luck, the new route will involve the demolition of McDonald's. The other two are useful.

map of the proposed route attached.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

that bridge was not built for the canal, it's the old underpass I used to walk through when at school (25+ years ago.... now I feel old)

Appendix 10 - Proposed Canal Layout Plan.pdf

Taking something of a contrary view, I think that I actually agree with the opponents of the scheme (even as a Continuous Liveaboard). A canal link via some sort of novel boat lift would be an enhancement to the area but is it really something that the local council should be paying for? Having seen how much has been lost in local services for local residents (throughout the country) should the people of Daventry be paying for something that will not be a massive benefit to them individually. If we as leisure boaters want something such as this we should put our money where our mouth is and finance it through an increase in our licence fee, then perhaps it doesn't sound such a good idea does it?:unsure: The objectors seem to have the view that if this proposal is to be constructed, it should be done so by private money not from the public purse, I can't see any real fault in that view. When the local council can fully finance local services (elderly care, children's services,social services, social housing etc.etc.) with money left over for vanity projects then all well and good (although if they were in that happy position then perhaps they should reduce council tax for local residents).  Until that time comes I'd oppose it.

I agree with the above.

Daventry needs lots of more important things FIRST, before this goes ahead.

Once the Flore/Weedon bypass is finished next year, there are another 5-7000 houses planned for Daventry. 

Maintenance will be down to CRT, they can't cope with what they have already, firefighting repairs to keep things open, not mended properly. 

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Taking something of a contrary view, I think that I actually agree with the opponents of the scheme (even as a Continuous Liveaboard). A canal link via some sort of novel boat lift would be an enhancement to the area but is it really something that the local council should be paying for? Having seen how much has been lost in local services for local residents (throughout the country) should the people of Daventry be paying for something that will not be a massive benefit to them individually. If we as leisure boaters want something such as this we should put our money where our mouth is and finance it through an increase in our licence fee, then perhaps it doesn't sound such a good idea does it?:unsure: The objectors seem to have the view that if this proposal is to be constructed, it should be done so by private money not from the public purse, I can't see any real fault in that view. When the local council can fully finance local services (elderly care, children's services,social services, social housing etc.etc.) with money left over for vanity projects then all well and good (although if they were in that happy position then perhaps they should reduce council tax for local residents).  Until that time comes I'd oppose it.

I fully understand your view and if this was my local council, would probably also be an 'objector'. In this instance the spokesman for the council seemst to be saying this is a long term strategy rather than short term and by doing the investment will bring in lots of visitors and investment in the future. Most council tax payers will likely be looking short term and at all the things the council are not doing (I know in our local council its cutting buses, picking up rubbish at longer intervals etc so I would vote against it if it was proposed in our council ). Falkirk was the example I used earlier and I think the 'Wheel' has brought in a lot of income to what was a very 'down' area - but havent a clue who funded that.

Interesting that the council is looking to support a long term strategy ....I guess someone must!

• 8 months later...

If this was to go ahead, however funded will certainly benefit both Daventry and local boaters. As a boaters point of view,where else is there to shop locally. We used to walk from Braunston to Daventry for shopping. I know you can get a bus, we got one back once loaded with goodies.

Daventry has a LOT going for it. For a start there is an excellent starter motor and alternator repair company on the trading estate. But even better, there is the second-best fish and chip shop I've ever patronised... the "Trawlers Fish Bar" in the Ashby Fields local shopping centre. Almost as good as the best F&C in the world from Black Country Living Museum.

Oh, and I had my first ever narrow boat built there way back in the 80s.

• Greenie 2

The article says they're now proposing spending £8m on a canal which isn't connected to the system. It sounds like the worst of both worlds to me, but maybe there's some economic reason I'm unaware of. A friend of mine who lives in the area once told me that Daventry is the largest town in England without a railway connection, perhaps that more modern idea should be a priority, bypassing the canal age?

24 minutes ago, Peter X said:

The article says they're now proposing spending £8m on a canal which isn't connected to the system. It sounds like the worst of both worlds to me, but maybe there's some economic reason I'm unaware of. A friend of mine who lives in the area once told me that Daventry is the largest town in England without a railway connection, perhaps that more modern idea should be a priority, bypassing the canal age?

A Suffolk friend of mine from Haverhill also  claimed that his town was the larges town in England not on the rail network, turns out that they are both wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_towns_in_England_without_a_railway_station

Why would anyone want to go to Daventry?

If Northamptonshire needed an enema it's where they would insert the pipe. 

I have lived in Northamptonshire for most of my life..... 

The canal is just a stupid vanity project and a complete waste of tax payers money

• Haha 1
  • Unimpressed 1

• 2 weeks later...