Boat depreciation allowance

Mick in Bangkok

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

I speak not of ex-colonial English. You'll note that they're American. They haven't even learned the word "tap" yet" so "scuttle" is surely beyond them.

Perhaps Extended Mouth is a colonial...

They struggle with counting syllables too. 

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I speak not of ex-colonial English. You'll note that they're American. They haven't even learned the word "tap" yet" so "scuttle" is surely beyond them.

Oh, and one is Australian. I rest my case.

thank you Mr Athy, just spat my tea out.    Have a virtual greenie as unable to give one to you with your new extended high status as Staff! :) 

Not read all the replies but the cost of boats over the last 15 years has risen beyond what they used to be 

in 2004 I bought my first boat for 23 k, a 55 ft narrow boat , granted it needed a tad of inside work but that was for our taste. 

Anyhow if you look now they boat would be 30k as it was and would probably sell quickly

I have been looking at boats for the last few weeks and what used to be 35k is now 45k for a nice 50 ft plus 

I wouldn't worry about depreciation at all unless the canals dry up 

23 hours ago, bramley said:

Not read all the replies but the cost of boats over the last 15 years has risen beyond what they used to be 

in 2004 I bought my first boat for 23 k, a 55 ft narrow boat , granted it needed a tad of inside work but that was for our taste. 

Anyhow if you look now they boat would be 30k as it was and would probably sell quickly

I have been looking at boats for the last few weeks and what used to be 35k is now 45k for a nice 50 ft plus 

I wouldn't worry about depreciation at all unless the canals dry up 

I think the bigger risk is of the canals filling up.

My estimate is about 10 boats (narrowboats and widebeams) are being launched each week. A narrowboat or widebeam being removed and scrapped is virtually unheard of. 

The rate at which new canals and marinas are being built/brought back into use is far lower. Therefore eventually there will be no space left for cruising. 

In the meantime CRT sit on their hands and keep taking the extra money.