Name The Header Tank

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, gbclive said:

True about the volume, but unfortunately the sight tube is quite narrow and very slightly opaque, so I suspect the colour would need to be really dense in order to make much difference visually.

If the tube was a larger diameter similar to my engine coolant header tank, then there would be no problem seeing the level. See the pic - the level is easy to see at 25% even with the tube badly stained and no colour.

(Sorry about the glass lid tins - I got a job lot of magnetic ones and then had to find somewhere to stick them ;))

64DDF4C0-9CE6-477F-AFE7-E6E43A34C7F0.jpeg

At one level that really appeals :) but then again, isn’t simple usually best?

Can you really have too much antifreeze though? Maybe just adding a higher concentration sufficient to make it visible would work.

Magnets are really useful things, no doubt. We've had about 8 button batteries lying on the boat for about a year waiting for a use. All but one are tiny, about 7mm diameter, but extremely powerful, so much so that a considerable amount of force is needed to separate two from each other. A few days ago i found a great use for a couple of them. Now we've left the marina and the shoreline behind the two things that clobber our leisure batteries are the tv (too big a screen but we already had it lying about before buying the boat) and the fridge. We found a workaround for the latter: we simply use the ice box as a fridge (no thermostat, so you have to keep an eye on it, but it means running the fridge (and inverter) for 30 minutes several times a day rather than 24/7. Anyway, i digress! The fastening clip on the ice box door has been bodged since we've had the boat, to keep the clip in place after the plastic started cracking around the mounting screw. Last week the crack got bigger and the clip wouldn't stay in place, so i cut into the door sealing rubber and glued in two magnets, then screwed a couple of small screws into the ice box body, standing slightly proud, to connect with the magnets. A really neat solution, the door closes with a satisfying pull between the magnets and screws, and no worry now every time the door is opened that the spring might need fixing back in place yet again just as you're about to settle down with a cuppa or something. Two more of these magnets are going to be glued onto the windows in the front of the saloon so that our DAB aerial can be held in a choice of positions to maximise reception as we move around the cut. One bigger magnet has been used to hold a lock hasp onto the rear sliding hatch out of harms way when not in use. I'm sure it won't be long before the three or four remaining magnets are utilised for other applications that just make life that little bit easier, allowing one to mellow out a bit in between the seemingly incessant diy jobs!

13 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Can you really have too much antifreeze though? Maybe just adding a higher concentration sufficient to make it visible would work.

I’m definitely not an expert, but as I understand it, pure or highly concentrated anti-freeze does not transfer heat as effectively as water - something to do with specific heat?

In any case, the tube is so narrow, I think even neat coloured antifreeze would still be difficult to see.

I feel the crux of the matter is that the tube has been specified way too narrow and my gut feeling is that the floating bead or small float option are simple and have the best chance solving the problem.

But I’m usually wrong ;)

OK - might have this sorted :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100Pcs-Luminous-Fishing-Floating-Tackle/dp/B01KFTPFIW/ref=pd_sim_200_5?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=04QJF841MGHR9AAE17NQ&th=1&psc=1

100Pcs 4mm Green Glow in the Dark Round Luminous Beads Sea Fishing Float Floating Tackle

Anyone have a use for the other 99?

7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Float a plastic bead in the sight glass

Beads are not foolproof. They have a habit of sticking to the side of the tube when the water level has vanished, misleading you into thinking the missing water is still present.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, gbclive said:

OK - might have this sorted :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100Pcs-Luminous-Fishing-Floating-Tackle/dp/B01KFTPFIW/ref=pd_sim_200_5?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=04QJF841MGHR9AAE17NQ&th=1&psc=1

100Pcs 4mm Green Glow in the Dark Round Luminous Beads Sea Fishing Float Floating Tackle

Anyone have a use for the other 99?

I could use a couple in my heating oil tank at home. that only leaves you 97

30 minutes ago, adrianh said:

P m me the size you require and I will turn you a short cylinder of blue acetal rod . Looking at your tube probably 5 mm dia x 20 mm long will do.

That’s very kind of you :)

Give me a few days to measure the ID as it’s quite narrow.

I suppose we are talking about a hollow cylinder but closed at the top to trap air?

Or closed both ends - I guess that’s better?

On 31/07/2017 at 21:09, Froggy said:

Ok, no prizes offered folks, but would be grateful if you could identify this coolant header tank. It's cracked and dripping in two places. I'll try a bodge repair with some epoxy glue until I can source a replacement.

Hint: When we were replacing the coolant in the winter somebody passing by reckoned it was the same as those used on old Austin cars, possibly a Maestro or 1100. However, the boat was built in 1997 and it.looks original equipment.

Try Rimmer bros.   :-   https://rimmerbros.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1NartKOz2gIVy7_tCh2MUweTEAAYASAAEgJ_fPD_BwE

43 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If it were mine I'd probably call it Kevin.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits saidaid:

Ah, but did you ever name the expansion bottle?

I suggest calling it Ed Urtank.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Ah, but did you ever name the expansion bottle?

I suggest calling it Ed Urtank

Ah, it's pretty clear that you lot have very little to do atm so have wandered over from the Skippers Wanted thread.....  :clapping:

Edited by Froggy

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Ah, it's pretty clear that you lot have very little to do atm so have wandered over from the Skippers Wanted thread.....  :clapping:

Well, theres a party later in the "pass the parcel" thread to celebrate Dr Bobs 1 year anniversary today. All welcome. Don't tell him though, cos its a surprise party!

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Well, theres a party later in the "pass the parcel" thread to celebrate Dr Bobs 1 year anniversary today. All welcome. Don't tell him though, cos its a surprise party!

:lol:

I'll try to look in this evening, especially if there's some real ale going.