Off topic ............. so annoying !

wirren

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, RichM said:

"The Site Owner and moderators of the site determine whether the content posted by the members is appropriate for CWDF and act accordingly. The moderation team can be identified by the title 'Moderator' beneath their name. It is their responsibility to make sure, where possible, that discussion remains relevant, on-topic and within the rules and guidelines as stated in this document."

It's a tricky one. Often, a comment can be made which is relevant to the original topic, but which takes the conversation in a slightly different direction. Then someone else will post something which is relevant to the previous post, but again slightly different in content. Eventually, as suggested above, one can arrive at Mornington Crescent. Such threads can be interesting and entertaining and, as long as they are not rude, obscene or otherwise inappropriate, there is a case for letting the on-line conversation develop naturally.

In a way, it's rather like political topics: if we adhered to the letter of the law (or rather, rules) there would not be any, but there have been a few lately which have been conducted in a civil manner and in which contrasting but interesting views have been expressed, making them entertaining and thought-provoking for readers.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

It's a tricky one. Often, a comment can be made which is relevant to the original topic, but which takes the conversation in a slightly different direction. Then someone else will post something which is relevant to the previous post, but again slightly different in content. Eventually, as suggested above, one can arrive at Mornington Crescent. Such threads can be interesting and entertaining and, as long as they are not rude, obscene or otherwise inappropriate, there is a case for letting the on-line conversation develop naturally.

In a way, it's rather like political topics: if we adhered to the letter of the law (or rather, rules) there would not be any, but there have been a few lately which have been conducted in a civil manner and in which contrasting but interesting views have been expressed, making them entertaining and thought-provoking for readers.

As you said earlier, this is how discussions go. It's a natural progression. And this is a discussion forum, not a technical advice centre

There are a couple of other things. Like, this is how it is here on this forum, other forums are different. And, if threads are going to be managed to ensure they stay strictly on topic, we are going to need a lot more moderators

Richard

• Greenie 1

Ok if we are to treat this as a serious issue I've always taken the view that if I start a thread it's up to me to drag it back on topic if things are getting out of hand.  If the OP of a thread is not bothered about the discussion wandering OT why not just let nature take its course?  A lot of interesting information has come to light as a result of threads going off at a tangent, well I think so.  

I'm still not convinced this isn't deliberate wind up.

Edited by Neil2
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Ok if we are to treat this as a serious issue I've always taken the view that if I start a thread it's up to me to drag it back on topic if things are getting out of hand.  If the OP of a thread is not bothered about the discussion wandering OT why not just let nature take its course?  A lot of interesting information has come to light as a result of threads going off at a tangent, well I think so.  

I'm still not convinced this isn't deliberate wind up.

In seriousness, I agree with this.  I started a thread recently about leisure moorings and liveaboards.  I got the information I needed on the first and second page, but the thread continued for 7 more pages on a different topic.  Why stop a good conversation if there's no need?

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, bizzard said:

The French always seem to over complicate simple things. In my opinion the Citroen Saxo was the only simple, sensible French car.

But naming it after a brand of salt always seemed a bad choice.

On 30/07/2017 at 19:53, Jerra said:

I am probably put on a limb with this (nothing new there) but to me thread drift is half the fun of the forum.  Without it I would find myself reading far fewer threads.

Yes. And I was thinking adopting the OP's suggestion would get him nowhere. ALL the threads would be so marked.

4 hours ago, Heffalump said:

In seriousness, I agree with this.  I started a thread recently about leisure moorings and liveaboards.  I got the information I needed on the first and second page, but the thread continued for 7 more pages on a different topic.  Why stop a good conversation if there's no need?

I think as always there is a balance.

Conversations do tend to run on and I do really like the way the this site feels fairly natural and like a real conversation. A lot of the members know each other or the people they are talking in person which is less common with other forums. On the flipside I do often come in on a thread that's interesting to me, but already left the topic which makes it hard to join in, and if your the OP coming back 24h later to find the thread you started has already 'run its course' and then gone off topic that is a real pain.

The forum in general is quite against locking topics to prevent then drifting off, and unlike many forums we do not have a automatic lock on threads over x days/weeks old, both of which I support fully.

One thing we can do is split topics, so if an off topic conversation gets going within and existing thread the relevant posts can be split out into a new topic titled something like 'Split from: xyz' which we have done before and could do more often, certainly of the op or another member requested it using the report system.

Daniel

1 minute ago, DHutch said:

I think as always there is a balance.

Conversations do tend to run on and I do really like the way the this site feels fairly natural and like a real conversation. A lot of the members know each other or the people they are talking in person which is less common with other forums. On the flipside I do often come in on a thread that's interesting to me, but already left the topic which makes it hard to join in, and if your the OP coming back 24h later to find the thread you started has already 'run its course' and then gone off topic that is a real pain.

The forum in general is quite against locking topics to prevent then drifting off, and unlike many forums we do not have a automatic lock on threads over x days/weeks old, both of which I support fully.

One thing we can do is split topics, so if an off topic conversation gets going within and existing thread the relevant posts can be split out into a new topic titled something like 'Split from: xyz' which we have done before and could do more often, certainly of the op or another member requested it using the report system.

Daniel

Yes well said.

I like the split idea, especially if by the time OP has come back with the next question related to their cauliflower but the thread is up to 6 pages and talking about axiom vs crowther.

3 hours ago, Heffalump said:

Yes well said.

I like the split idea, especially if by the time OP has come back with the next question related to their cauliflower but the thread is up to 6 pages and talking about axiom vs crowther.

Yes.

Occasionally if I see a really obvious case I will effect a split, however members are always welcome to use the report button to request moderators to split a topic, or atleast consider splitting it.

Daniel

On 31/07/2017 at 00:48, DHutch said:

Yes.

Occasionally if I see a really obvious case I will effect a split, however members are always welcome to use the report button to request moderators to split a topic, or atleast consider splitting it.

Daniel

Dan,

Could you split this thread please? Into "on-topic" and "off-topic" posts?

Many thanks...

P.S. and while we are on the subject, what was the new price of a Sinclair C5 please? 

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Dan,

Could you split this thread please? Into "on-topic" and "off-topic" posts?

Many thanks..

I hear what you're saying.

If the OP would like the thread splitting I will do it, your call @wirren happy either way.

Daniel