Oops! - Twice!

nicknorman

Featured Posts

The boat has grounded on the south side of the estuary, well off the marked channel, so it looks as if he could have either lost power and been swept to that position or not followed the correct route to the north of the Astland Lamp. Great recovery work by RNLI.

Edited by rgreg

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Or they'd have seen this loon crashing the boat into the bank.

(Different disaster, same boat.)

He pulled in St Mary's on the Rufford branch yesterday for diesel, seemed 'all a little too much' mooring at the diesel point. He tried backing in at hi revs and resulted it another crash into the bank! 

Dont think he had an overly successful trip overall!

Edited by andyberg
Spelling

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No-one seems to have clicked on your link Nick!

Or they'd have seen this loon crashing the boat into the bank.

(Different disaster, same boat.)

Hmm, looking at this video of him going down Savick Brook (the first section of the Ribble Link where he grounded) I think there's a good chance that "helmsman error" could be the reason for him going off course on the estuary; especially if he relied on his bow thruster for steering as he did on the video, which would have been useless against that tide. It looks as if he's gone straight over the shallows south of the approach to the River Douglas entrance and not round the Astland Lamp as required.

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

It must have been a very high tide to get up there. ...he could be stuck for weeks if it's the top one of the month.

I think the Ribble Link is only operated around spring tides, to the Lancaster canal if high tide is in the morning, and back when high tide is in the afternoon.

3 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

I think the Ribble Link is only operated around spring tides, to the Lancaster canal if high tide is in the morning, and back when high tide is in the afternoon.

At the point where he grounded it would have been around high tide time, and the picture taken on the ebb.

of course he could have done it on purpose to touch up his anti-fouling / blacking....

Don't ask me how I know this

was taught long ago never to run aground unless you had your anchor out....and a paint brush to hand!

yacht aground.png