90 members have voted

1. 1. Reactions - What do you think?

• I like it, I think it allows people to better express their reactions
    • I like it but it would be better to remove the negative options
    • I don't like the extra options. Please change it back to how it was
    • I have no opinion on the matter
    • I wish to abstain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/08/17 at 21:55

Featured Posts

Good evening,

As some have noticed, the recent software update introduced a change to the greenie or reactions system. For those who use Facebook, it's very similar to their current "Like" feature. While greenies still remain in place (and also the default option to award to a post) there's also some other options to choose from, which you may see below.

reactions2.png

Pardon the pun, but this seemed to have generated a mixed reaction although I must stress that none of the options award negative points. Points are awarded as follows: 

reactions.png

Please kindly vote in the poll to tell us what you think of this and your views will be considered. Please also feel free to provide constructive comments below.

Thank you

RichM

Could there be another option, which would be to keep the positive reactions but get rid of the negative (now neutral) reaction, aka the nasty reactions? Reacting "nastily" to a post should, IMO, not be facilitated by what is supposed to be a discussion forum. It's not much of a discussion if I just say "your post about xxx made me angry / unimpressed" etc without giving a reason or alternative viewpoint. Agreement is easy. Disagreement calls for an explanation.

• Greenie 3

On 29/07/2017 at 23:06, nicknorman said:

Could there be another option, which would be to keep the positive reactions but get rid of the negative (now neutral) reaction, aka the nasty reactions? Reacting "nastily" to a post should, IMO, not be facilitated by what is supposed to be a discussion forum. It's not much of a discussion if I just say "your post about xxx made me angry / unimpressed" etc without giving a reason or alternative viewpoint. Agreement is easy. Disagreement calls for an explanation.

I'd like to 'react' to your post but I'm torn. SOO MANY fekkin options it's ridiculous and indecision reigns....

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Done. 

On 29/07/2017 at 23:25, nicknorman said:

Ok thanks, well I'd vote for that one, but I don't think I can change my vote now?

You can cancel your vote by hovering over the greenie button then clicking the X which appears.

Or you could do earlierthis afternoon, nine versions ago :D 

• Horror 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The one you hover over to get the fly-out of other possibilities.

But there isn't one associated with the actual poll. Perhaps it's because I'm on an iPad touch screen. You can't hover with those. Not even me!

Once you have 'reacted' (I hate that term irrationally), the greeny button sprouts an X like on an iphone app 

On 29/07/2017 at 23:43, nicknorman said:

But there isn't one associated with the actual poll. Perhaps it's because I'm on an iPad touch screen. You can't hover with those. Not even me!

R I C.

I'm using my leading edge XP laptop.

I just tested by giving you a 'reaction', then withdrawing it. Worked fine!

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Once you have 'reacted' (I hate that term irrationally), the greeny button sprouts an X like on an iphone app 

R I C.

I'm using my leading edge XP laptop.

Yes that is how to delete a "reaction" but it doesn't seem to allow me to change my vote in the poll.

31 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

What greenie button? Oh, I gave you a "horror" but it doesn't seem to identify who it came from, unlike the positive ones.

Damn, I thought that one was for artistic appreciation, inspired by Edvard Munch

Richard

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RichM said:

Good evening,

As some have noticed, the recent software update introduced a change to the greenie or reactions system. For those who use Facebook, it's very similar to their current "Like" feature. While greenies still remain in place (and also the default option to award to a post) there's also some other options to choose from, which you may see below.

I suspect many of us are here because we don't use Facebook.  And have no intention of doing so.  So why try and emulate it? If that sort of interface is that popular, we might as well give up and just join in with Facebook.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, dor said:

I suspect many of us are here because we don't use Facebook.  And have no intention of doing so.  So why try and emulate it? If that sort of interface is that popular, we might as well give up and just join in with Facebook.

Perhaps Facebook wasn't a great example as it is not our intention to emulate Facebook. We did not design the feature and it was enabled by default following the Invision update. We can switch it off if the outcome of this poll suggests that the majority would be in favour of us doing so. Canal World uses Facebook's login system and has done for many years for those who wish to use it, so we're aware that many of our users do use Facebook. As such, I thought it was appropriate to mention the similarities as to provide some clarity on the change in question to those who have used similar features elsewhere. 

This is a wind up isn't it.

Sorry for being so dim and not getting the joke straight away. I take it the 'crew' will stop beggering about with everything once everyone has had a chance to laugh.

Sheesh!

Rog

• Love 1

11 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I've already voted for "remove the negative optiions".  Here's why:

I've participated a similar (hobby, non-boatiing) forum, though one that runs at a somewhat higher temperature, that implemented and then had to remove negative feedback. The problem was with highly polarized topics, where one "side" or both would attempt to "bully" individual opposition posters with large amounts of negative feedback, including from people "on their side" who were otherwise neutral regarding the particular topic of sub-topic.  The same happens sometimes e where there's tension between individuals (constrained to some extent because it's more obvious that someone is trying to "play the system").

As I said, CWDF runs at a "lower temperature", but there are a few topics (and a very few people) that run "hot enough" so I'd expect this to happen a bit too often here too.

A related suggestion: I've found the "one greenie per day" frustrating to the point that I hardly ever use them.  I suggest allowing more feedback opportunities per person (only one per post though).  I suppose a daily forum- or site-quota wouldn't hurt, but if so I think it should be a lot higher.

6 minutes ago, Gordias said:

I suppose a daily forum- or site-quota wouldn't hurt, but if so I think it should be a lot higher.

There already is one. Offhand I can't remember how many, five is in my mind

Richard

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I see no reason for there to be a limit on greenies at all. Can anyone explain why there is a limit?

Another forum I used to frequent had no limit. It worked very well.

Inflation,  at the moment I can exchange approximately 10 greenies for a bottle of fine malt, imagine what could happen with no limits, boaters pushing barrow full of greenies down the towpath trying to exchange them for a pump out, no Mike it would never work

• Greenie 1