Where can I get electrical plugs like these?

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I am trying to source some plugs like the ones in the picture below. I need them to fit in an Electronic Model Railway Controller I had built more than thirty years ago, when these plugs were commonplace. I have tried ebay and tried googling images without any success, I am not even sure what they are officially called, although I have aways known them as "split pin plugs"

I have already tried established suppliers like tried Maplins without any success, but any other suggestions would be most welcome, or maybe you have a few in an old tin that you would be willing to sell.

Plug.JPG.a77e7336e6bf56d98ae52bdaabf2c0fd.JPG

Edited by David Schweizer

I remember these!  We use to call them banana plugs, though what they had to do with banana I have no idea.

Anyway, googling banana plugs brings up plenty, although slightly different but I am sure they are compatible.

• Greenie 1

I beg to differ...

I don't think those are Banana plugs - Banana plugs are modern / common, are 4mm diameter and are solid with a longitudinal spring wire along the connector shaft.

My first thought was a "Wander Plug" which is a 3mm plug and split like your picture shows.  

What is the approx. diameter of your plugs when both halves are pressed together ?

This guy is selling the sockets 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulgin-3mm-Wander-Plug-Socket-Red-L1412-R-Vintage-Speaker-Connector-ER22-/142149060196?var=&hash=item2118be8664:m:mrCFzE8wP_4hRncC6G3d6AQ

I'll keep looking for plugs (I may well have some in the "junk" box !)

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Thanks for the replies. I have never heard them called banana plugs, were they really called that forty years ago.? I suspect that is an american computer s[eak term a bit like rasberry and balckberry, whixh bear no resemblence to thier original namesakes!!

Anyway. If that is all that is available. I may have to try some of tem, unfortunately none of those I have found for sale, indicate socket size, I think I have some somewhere in one of my cable boxes, but i ithink they are a bit too big. I am still hoping that someone can come up with a few that they will sell to me

17 minutes ago, Nickhlx said:

I beg to differ...

I don't think those are Banana plugs - Banana plugs are modern / common, are 4mm diameter and are solid with a longitudinal spring wire along the connector shaft.

My first thought was a "Wander Plug" which is a 3mm plug and split like your picture shows.  

What is the approx. diameter of your plugs when both halves are pressed together ?

Nick

Thanks for that, our posts crossed

Yes Wander Plug rings a bell, and a Google image search seems to confirm that name. The ones I have are 3mm dia when closed up, but do not seem to be available any more. I found some on a vintage radio site but thet are unfortunatelyalready sold out. There are none on ebay, although ironicly there are several female sockets advertised.

Yes, they're Wander Plugs and are 1/8" diameter (3.1mm). Banana plugs are 4.1mm. 

As far as I can tell, they're no longer available. You might get lucky with some old stock in an electronics shop (not Maplins, a real one) or else you'll have to change the sockets and use Banana plugs I think. 

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes, they're Wander Plugs and are 1/8" diameter (3.1mm). Banana plugs are 4.1mm. 

As far as I can tell, they're no longer available. You might get lucky with some old stock in an electronics shop (not Maplins, a real one) or else you'll have to change the sockets and use Banana plugs I think. 

Yes, and there used to be a brilliant one in Bath until a couple of years ago, but Mr Hanney who had run it for something like forty years, decided to retire, and couldnt find anyone interested in taking it on.

I have considered changing the sockets on the controller, together with all the plugs on connecting equipment, but I would rather not. I may resort to an idea I found on a vintage radio chatboard where someone soldered the wire to a standard 1/8" split pin (I have lots of them) and glued a (toothpaste) tube cap over the joint for insulation.

5 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I may resort to an idea I found on a vintage radio chatboard where someone soldered the wire to a standard 1/8" split pin (I have lots of them) and glued a (toothpaste) tube cap over the joint for insulation.

That'd work :)

Sorry, yes, banana plugs are different.  I just had an idea I had used them many years ago in place of the plugs you showed.  Perhaps there was enough give in the sockets for them still to fit.

Maybe use some 3mm/1/8" split pins with self-amalgamating tape round the top to hold/insulate it.

There are available some 3mm plugs which have an "expanding type of protrusion" - these would fit into a nominal 3mm hole

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pair-Nickel-Plated-Copper-3mm-Banana-Male-Plug-Test-DIY-Solder-Connector-R-B-UK-/282322402237?epid=924832687&hash=item41bbb9fbbd:g:utwAAOSwHMJYDyfL

which would save changing the sockets on the controller

Nick

2 minutes ago, Nickhlx said:

There are available some 3mm plugs which have an "expanding type of protrusion" - these would fit into a nominal 3mm hole

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pair-Nickel-Plated-Copper-3mm-Banana-Male-Plug-Test-DIY-Solder-Connector-R-B-UK-/282322402237?epid=924832687&hash=item41bbb9fbbd:g:utwAAOSwHMJYDyfL

which would save changing the sockets on the controller

Nick

If they truly are 3mm then they'd be perfect for David :)

Ooh, proper Wander Plugs, and those slightly lethal Bulgin power inlets, and 240v connectors you could undo without tools, and the smell of fried selenium rectifiers... Happy days!

Searching eBay for "3mm banana plug" brings up several options that would probably fit a Wander Socket, although to my mind proper bananas were always the 4mm ones with the lengthwise spring wire.

10 hours ago, AndrewIC said:

Searching eBay for "3mm banana plug"...

When I tried that search I found dozens of hits for 4mm banana plugs to take 3mm speaker cable, but no 3mm plugs. Maybe I was just unlucky. 

11 hours ago, AndrewIC said:

Ooh, proper Wander Plugs, and those slightly lethal Bulgin power inlets, and 240v connectors you could undo without tools, and the smell of fried selenium rectifiers... Happy days!

Searching eBay for "3mm banana plug" brings up several options that would probably fit a Wander Socket, although to my mind proper bananas were always the 4mm ones with the lengthwise spring wire.

I suppose some people might have used them for 240v AC, but from recollection they were normally used as extension speaker connectors, they were also popular with railway modellers using 12 DC

10 hours ago, adrianh said:

The  best you can probably use now are  1/8 short split pins with some sort of  insulated cover. I remeber this shop well. May have suitable pins. Pm me for phone number, live locally  to you.

Thanks for that, I have already found more than enough 1/8" short split pins in my spares cabinet, and will be able to use those, suitably insulated with some shrink sleeving, but thanks anyway.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

When I tried that search I found dozens of hits for 4mm banana plugs to take 3mm speaker cable, but no 3mm plugs. Maybe I was just unlucky. 

I have found some 3mm banana plugs on ebay, but at 99p for four (including postage) I dread to think what quality the might be. I may get some and try them anyway.

Edited to add:- I was going to post a link, but when reading the small print they are 4mm even though the title states 3mm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pcs-3mm-Audio-Speaker-Wire-Cable-Connector-Screw-Banana-Plug-Red-Blue-H4O4/122490251353?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Split pin and toothpaste cap as suggested. Small hole in cap then fit with open top facing up. Mix some araldite/plastic padding/similar and force into toothapste cap to "pot" the soldered joint. Jobs a goodun.