Character assassination

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The problem as I see it is a version works for everyone just fine. Along comes a new security threat no-one imagined could exist and Invision release a new version with the security hole plugged. Fine so far.

BUT...

Invision have, at the same time, been writing a load of changes to the 'user experience'. These generally make a lot of sense to the coders who live and breathe forum software but are not well accepted by users who would frankly, far rather have a stable, consistent and intuitive interface they have spent weeks or months or years learning the ins and outs of. 

THEN...

Instead of implementing the security patches by themselves (the professional way to do it), they bundle massive unwanted user interface changes in at the same time with no explanation or documentation of what the changes are.

Very unprofessional. 

I agree, it is a shame that they do put so many feature changes in their minor releases, but it is their decision, and given it is what they do there is no choice but to take those changes.

2 minutes ago, b0atman said:

What green arrow ? Mine is grey and only becomes green when i hover over it .The negatives i thought where good for when posts get hi jacked to another subject .

Hover or press green arrow, becomes green, click to select.

30 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Invision have, at the same time, been writing a load of changes to the 'user experience'. These generally make a lot of sense to the coders who live and breathe forum software but are not well accepted by users who would frankly, far rather have a stable, consistent and intuitive interface they have spent weeks or months or years learning the ins and outs of. 

THEN...

Instead of implementing the security patches by themselves (the professional way to do it), they bundle massive unwanted user interface changes in at the same time with no explanation or documentation of what the changes are.

Very unprofessional. 

I understand where you're coming from and after reading on their own forums, there's a lot of gripes about the lack of documentation but when focusing on the issues we're talking about today is it really THAT necessary. I mean, I can write a how to guide on reactions but really??? Unless of course we're dwelling on past software updates which I sincerely hope this topic is not about... 

When talking about the features at hand here; many will have seen the new reactions feature on Facebook and on other social networking sites alike so I don't see how it would take long to get accustomed to this as most people will be familiar with it, at least in concept. Granted, this is a discussion forum, not a social networking site like Facebook. However, when considering social media sites have killed off many forums over the years I guess it's arguably understandable why they are including similar features. 

I think part of the reason for the feature changes is that from a business perspective, Invision need to be competitive in today's marketplace by providing features that people have become accustomed to elsewhere. Invision have to cater for everyone, not just us lot floating around the Canals of Great Britain. Some of the new features we see in Invision have been available in vBulletin for years and we're still short on the feature front overall by comparison, so I don't blame them for playing catch-up. They have a business to run and in the technology industry, they can't afford to stand still while the competition race ahead. 

RichM

3 hours ago, dogless said:

I'm sorry, but has a 15 year old taken over this place?

The rate of change is mind blowing, for no reason I can understand.

I suppose the next change will be constant 'selfies' with superimposed animal ears.

Was the format previously 'that bad'. I was unaware of anyone complaining.

It's becoming barely worth the effort of logging on.

Rog

I have a bit of sympathy for this post - for which Rog was firmly slapped around the head with a damp haddock. Perhaps he could have been more sensitive to the crew's feelings, but perhaps also he doesn't have the technical knowledge to be more constructive.  To me, the 15 year old comment (so long as it's a generalisation rather than targeted at individuals) is quite a good description of the way this development in particular feels, whilst his observation about the rate of change is surely entirely valid.

I'd love to be more constructive myself but, as I've said before, this is the only forum I've ever used where the average member even needs to give the workings a thought, let alone needs to spend time fiddling with lots of settings and trying to think of erudite ways to suggest how the forum software should operate. I made a similar point recently and Rich M did ask me for further info, particularly about types of software on other forums I use. I'm not sure I'd be much help because Vbulletin is the only name I know (a good thing on a vehicle which should be transparent to the user,  surely) but I've not been able to respond since I haven't seen that particular thread since. This is a common issue for me, and undoubtedly in part my own fault for not spending more time trying to work out the underlying issue of my 'once read - never seen again' black hole. It was not, however, an issue previously, and I'm no more a luddite now than I was when I first encountered this forum. 

I have nothing but admiration for the site crew who give their time and expertise to provide and service this forum. In no way do I intend to be critical of their efforts or to knock the results. Reading between the lines, however, I get the feeling they're as frustrated with this software as some of the users. 

Having made these comments, I suppose I'll now have to watch as something reminiscent of Pacman chomps it's way through my hard-earned stock of old fashioned 'Greenies'. My only consolation may be that the music and sound effects weren't included in this latest iteration of upgrade! :D

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

On 29/07/2017 at 19:37, Starcoaster said:

Can I get a response to my question about seeing the people viewing a post disappearing?

I too noticed the list of users viewing a thread is now missing from the bottom of the thread. It also vanished for a while after the previous upgrade. Maybe it need turning back ON by the tech admin (i.e. Rich!)

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I too noticed the list of users viewing a thread is now missing from the bottom of the thread. It also vanished for a while after the previous upgrade. Maybe it need turning back ON by the tech admin (i.e. Rich!)

I've noticed it too. Without it one can't prepare one self for an onslaught.     Ah!! Its come back.

Edited by bizzard

On 29/07/2017 at 19:32, RichM said:

I understand where you're coming from and after reading on their own forums, there's a lot of gripes about the lack of documentation but when focusing on the issues we're talking about today is it really THAT necessary. I mean, I can write a how to guide on reactions but really??? Unless of course we're dwelling on past software updates which I sincerely hope this topic is not about... 

It's the principle. Yes partly dwelling on the last update but are you saying the new 'reactions' are the only change to the user functionality? I bet there are others we have yet to notice and puzzle over. It would be nice to at least be given a list of changes in the new version. Not to consider telling the user what the hell is going on with each new update indicates a degree contempt for the end users on the part of Invision, in my opinion. 

On 29/07/2017 at 19:32, RichM said:

When talking about the features at hand here; many will have seen the new reactions feature on Facebook and on other social networking sites alike so I don't see how it would take long to get accustomed to this as most people will be familiar with it, at least in concept. Granted, this is a discussion forum, not a social networking site like Facebook. However, when considering social media sites have killed off many forums over the years I guess it's arguably understandable why they are including similar features. 

On the other hand I cannot believe the other forums I use are not having regular security updates applied, yet they feel no need to apply destabilising and undocumented changes to the user interface. Their interfaces work perfectly well and the occasional changes to the user interface I notice are always tiny and infrequent.

I'd like to make it clear that my comments are not a criticism of RichM or the techs here, they are criticisms of Invision and their flaky business policies. Rich has put in massive effort in keeping the forum running for which I am most grateful and so probably are a lot of other people here too.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

As one who doesn't use social media in any way shape or form I find the "thingies" which pop out when you hover over the green arrow distracting, a little confusing and to be honest a little childish.

However I can/will learn to live with them but the heavy black bar on quoted posts is driving me to distraction.

13 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I've noticed it too. Without it one can't prepare one self for an onslaught.     Ah!! Its come back.

I have fixed it.

8 minutes ago, Jerra said:

As one who doesn't use social media in any way shape or form I find the "thingies" which pop out when you hover over the green arrow distracting, a little confusing and to be honest a little childish.

However I can/will learn to live with them but the heavy black bar on quoted posts is driving me to distraction.

That is fair enough. As the site owner, (Daniel) has previously mentioned; Technically we can disable them. If you (or anyone else) feels that strongly about it I'd recommend creating a constructively worded opinion poll and the outcome will be considered. To be honest I didn't expect that much of a reaction. 

RichM

1 minute ago, RichM said:

I have fixed it.

That is fair enough. As the site owner, Daniel has mentioned; Technically we can disable them. If you (or anyone else) feels that strongly about it I'd recommend creating a constructively worded opinion poll and the outcome will be considered. 

RichM

Thanks Rich.

Just now, RichM said:

That is fair enough. Technically we can disable them. If you (or anyone else) feels that strongly about it I'd recommend creating a constructively worded opinion poll and the outcome will be considered. 

RichM

Can the bhlack bars not be changed to a lighter colour/shade?  Even grey would IMO be better.

I may be the only one who wants this but can people's total post count be turned back on? 

It used to say, for example, buzzard 9,057 posts. Next to the name 

I liked this feature because it shows who the experienced members are, also helps to tell who the newbies are that ask one question and never return again.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Canal321 said:

I may be the only one who wants this but can people's total post count be turned back on? 

It used to say, for example, buzzard 9,057 posts. Next to the name 

I liked this feature because it shows who the experienced members are, also helps to tell who the newbies are that ask one question and never return again.

Thanks

It still does! Well maybe below the name, rather than next to it. Does that matter?

I for one can't understand the lack of negative feedback. Surely there should be the option of a minus if you totally disagree with a post, otherwise, why bother with the system at all ? 

Most other sites, even the bbc , give you the option of disagreeing with a post ( not the poster )

I have given greenies when deserved, but would like the ability to show disapproval of a post when warrented

5 minutes ago, zigspider said:

I for one can't understand the lack of negative feedback. Surely there should be the option of a minus if you totally disagree with a post, otherwise, why bother with the system at all ? 

Most other sites, even the bbc , give you the option of disagreeing with a post ( not the poster )

I have given greenies when deserved, but would like the ability to show disapproval of a post when warrented

Because, as mentioned by the OP, it has in the past been shown to cause a lot of problems with bullying etc. If you disagree with a post, just reply to it offering your alternative view, pointing out your perception of the flaws in that person's view (always remembering that other people are entitled to have a different view from you). Just disagreeing with a post without explaining why or offering an alternative, is pointless (and rude!).

If you agree with it, there is nothing more to be said except that a "greenie" or whatever shows your agreement in one single act.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Jerra said:

Can the bhlack bars not be changed to a lighter colour/shade?  Even grey would IMO be better.

Will look into this.

I have created a poll in regards to the updated reactions (Greenie) feature. I encourage you all to have your vote in the topic linked here. As we now have a poll to determine the fate of the reactions system, I will close this topic but further comments in relation to the reaction system can also be posted in this topic.

As for discussion on other aspects of the recent update, I invite you to post in this existing topic. As a rule I don't like closing topics but hope you will agree that we don't need 3 topics on the matter.

Cheers

RichM