C&RT Boaters' Update 28 July 2017

Featured Posts

So here's the updated advise on saving water.

"Wait up to 30 mins for another boat"

For another boat to do what?

1. Work the lock for you?
  2. Turn the lock in your face?
  3. So you can turn the lock in their face?
  4. Share a cuppa and a plate of chocolate digestives?
  5. So you can steal their windlass?

C&RT.jpg

11 hours ago, zenataomm said:

So here's the updated advise on saving water.

"Wait up to 30 mins for another boat"

For another boat to do what?

1. Work the lock for you?
  2. Turn the lock in your face?
  3. So you can turn the lock in their face?
  4. Share a cuppa and a plate of chocolate digestives?
  5. So you can steal their windlass?

Presumably your beef is that you're on a narrow canal so it is pointless waiting for another boat before transiting the lock. I've certainly seen these signs on the southern Oxford in years gone by.

The one way this advice DOES save water is if you arrive at a narrow lock set against you. If you wait for a boat to come the other way, it will use that lockful of water. 

4 minutes ago, DaveP said:

These signs are currently on the K&A as well.

Well yes, sharing a lock with another boat on a wide canal means the lock gets cycled once not twice. IT rarely happens on the K&A though, as you generally have to wait several hours for the next boat to arrive. 

I have no beef, as I remember the 70s and 80s well when we had major problems with levels.

I was commenting on the optimistic approach that anyone would wait half an hour at a lock, especially when the idea doesn't sell itself or even explain why.

Imagine those hire boaters who overstretch themselves and need to get back.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Presumably your beef is that you're on a narrow canal so it is pointless waiting for another boat before transiting the lock. I've certainly seen these signs on the southern Oxford in years gone by.

It certainly worked when I first started boating and there were lots of cruisers and most narrowboats were no longer than 40-45 ft. It was common to share narrow locks then.

17 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Is about waiting for a boat to share wide locks with, there has been a sign at the top of Hatton to that effect for years.

Can also be about waiting for a boat to come down a lock on a narrow canal, if you are about to go up. 

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

Only for the second of the pair... :P

Except that when it happened to us, they refused to split, so the choice was letting them go first, or being a single boat in front of them. 

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Can also be about waiting for a boat to come down a lock on a narrow canal, if you are about to go up. 

That one is about sharing locks though, not seen that says to wait 30 mins for a boat coming the other way, not sure many people would do that in reality.