Our ne adventure day 6

Debs

Featured Posts

Our night in Tring passed without incident and we woke up to the Barometer telling us that, yet again, rain was forecast! After some useful suggestions about why our bilge was filling up with water, we decided to put a bucket in the engine compartment and stick the random pipe in it that we had found. We checked this morning to see if there was water in the bucket and, yes! We may have cracked it. Then, however, Mick found, what looked like, the other end of the pipe so he has now stuck that in the bucket too. We will see what that has done tomorrow morning. 

So, after the obligatory 3 cups of coffee to wake up with, Mick went to start the engine! Nothing! Apparently we have a sticking starter motor that we knew about before this trip so we were well equipped with a bit of wire to get the engine started! At last, we set off on the next leg of our journey.

the first lock we came to was number 46 Marmsworth Top Lock! It was the first lock going down and boy! did I have to work that one. Unfortunately it had a gap of about 4ft between the lower gates (ok, a very slight exaggeration) so, with all the paddles open it took all my strength and then some to get the gates to open to get the boat in the lock. Just as we were exiting the lock we noticed a day hire boat behind us so we waited for them in the next lock so I has help on the flight down. The journey down the flight was wet then dry then wet then dry, but it was fun with a really nice bunch of people. At the bottom of the flight we decided to moor up and walk to the Anglers Retreat pub for some lunch. We both opted for cod and chips (what could possibly go wrong?). I have to say, if they had left the head on the fish it would have been swimming, it was that undercooked! Mick had a pint of slops that was meant to be a bitter and I had a glass of toilet water that they mistakenly called Pinot Grigio and soda. It was awful! No wonder the Angler retreated! 

Just as we approached the next lock down we could see that there was another boat waiting to enter. We shared the next few locks with them so my work was halved! Again, the people on Off The Rails were really nice and, although we got drenched, we had a laugh. 

We have now moored up at Grove Lock for the night. We have had a really nice meal and we met a really nice couple who cruise the canals for about 6 months at a time. He told us that we need to make sure we know how to do an oil change and change the oil filters as this needs to be done every 250 hrs of cruising to keep the engine sweet! We may have to look into that! Although, we do realise that each boat is different!

Tomorrow, our first stop will possibly be Leighton Buzzard. We may even pop into the Wetherspoons for a breakfast, who knows! But now we are settled down with a couple of Scotch and Cokes and getting ready to fall into bed. 

Sorry for the lateness of this story. It was due to lack of signal.

IMG_2416.JPG

IMG_2418.JPG

IMG_2421.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2427.JPG

IMG_2436.PNG

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_8522.JPG

IMG_8523.JPG

IMG_8525.JPG

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2431.JPG