Gloucester and Sharpness closed at Gloucester

Amber34

Featured Posts

Just reached the Partings and duly called the Gloucester lockie, only to be told the canal is closed due to a tree blocking the navigation. 

Very limited interwebz, so not been able to check with crt website. 

29 minutes ago, Amber34 said:

Just reached the Partings and duly called the Gloucester lockie, only to be told the canal is closed due to a tree blocking the navigation. 

Very limited interwebz, so not been able to check with crt website. 

Thanks, I was planning to head to Gloucester Docks tomorrow. Do you know whereabouts the obstruction is? Must be a rather large tree to block the G&S!

Edit: I just called them. The obstruction is blocking the lock to Gloucester Docks from the Severn. Passage along the G&S itself is clear. 

Cheers

RichM

I would have described that as blockage on the Severn rather than the G&S. Good call from the lockie though. I wouldn't want to spend any time tied to the chains upstream of Gloucester lock. Better to go back and moor at one of the Severn pubs.

I think the only thing that would close the G&S would be a swing bridge failure.

So would I, but the Severn and G&S does seems to be treated a bit as one.  Presumably it had just happened or else hopefully they would have told you at Upper Lode.  If guess you would have to go back to one of the 2 pubs.  Is the tide over-topping the weir at them moment, that is usually when you get most debris, if it is I would not want to be on the wall in Gloucester waiting.