Both Aston and Ashted Locks now closed - North out of Birmingham

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Thought it might be worth pointing this out.  A new stoppage has been announced this morning for the Aston flight with no end specified, although implied it will be a quick fix, it may not be.  The Ashted flight is due to close on monday until 25th August for planned works.  This was seen as ok as boats could go an alternative way in and out of Birmingham, to the B&F and GU.  This now won't be possible after the weekend if they don't get the Aston flight open.

27 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Along with the Walsall, I'm sure this is a cunning Firefly plan to win next year's BCN challenge.....

Na, not me.  

Anyway even if both are closed, which I am sure they will not do,  there is still another way round.

25 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Na, not me.  

Anyway even if both are closed, which I am sure they will not do,  there is still another way round.

There's always another way.  But is it practicable?  A few years back I needed to get from Birmingham to Streethay (I had booked the slipway).  The 21 was closed due to vandalism.  Then, the day before i was leaving the B&F at Minworth was closed because the towpath had collapsed into the the canal (width restriction still in place after 4 years!).  I had 2 days to get to streethay and my only available route was --> windmill end -->Stewponey --> Great Haywood --> Fradley.  I considered it for about 5 seconds.

38 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

I had 2 days to get to streethay and my only available route was --> windmill end -->Stewponey --> Great Haywood --> Fradley

I would consider doing it in three days, (Day 1 to Stourton Junction, Day 2 to Penkridge and Day 3 to Streethay) but not two.

1 hour ago, Dave_P said:

There's always another way.  But is it practicable?  A few years back I needed to get from Birmingham to Streethay (I had booked the slipway).  The 21 was closed due to vandalism.  Then, the day before i was leaving the B&F at Minworth was closed because the towpath had collapsed into the the canal (width restriction still in place after 4 years!).  I had 2 days to get to streethay and my only available route was --> windmill end -->Stewponey --> Great Haywood --> Fradley.  I considered it for about 5 seconds.

It's not that bad, Ryders Green and Perry Bar, less locks as (they must be deeper!), but more miles

For Old Turn to Salford; going Farmer Bridge/Aston is 3.81 miles and 24 locks; going Ryders Green/Perry Bar is 16.29 miles and 21 locks.  Much of the additional miles are on the New Main Line and Tame Valley, so 4mph is possible, so probably an additional 3.5 hours or so.

18 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Aston lock now fixed.

Boring.......

55 minutes ago, john6767 said:

It's not that bad, Ryders Green and Perry Bar, less locks as (they must be deeper!), but more miles

For Old Turn to Salford; going Farmer Bridge/Aston is 3.81 miles and 24 locks; going Ryders Green/Perry Bar is 16.29 miles and 21 locks.  Much of the additional miles are on the New Main Line and Tame Valley, so 4mph is possible, so probably an additional 3.5 hours or so.

Boring.......

Until you are attacked by the demon mattress of Ocker Hill.

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Never been attacked by a mattress there but the Asda trolleys in Ryder Green - they always get me.

I think they may be in cahoots.  The mattress gets sent ahead as cannon fodder and while you're cutting it off your prop, a gang of trolley surround you and force you to hand over the family silver.