Repair advice

kawaton

Featured Posts

Hi all

Hoping to get some advice on the damage in these pictures.

What is the likely cause?

How serious is the damage?

Whats the likely cost to fix?

Regarding the damage around the windows. I know most boats of a certain age (20 years in this case) you would expect to see water damage of this nature, but this looks worse than I have seen on many other boats.....but people on here have seen many more than me.  So is it that bad? 

The water damage near the roof I doubt can be from windows, so I am thinking maybe a pipe runs behind and has leaked at some point. It does look quite bad what are others views? 

The bubbling/rusting by the chimney...could that be heat damage?  Is it much to worry about?

what is the big blue thing in the engine bay?

what is the big white box in the engine bay?

not seen either of these before

What is the white mould caused from ( near weed hatch area in semi trad)

Still learning so please be patient with me :)

Thanks

IMG_2331.JPG

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2337.JPG

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2336.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

Edited by kawaton

Big blue thing is the calorifier. Big white thing looks like a step to me?

The damp could well be condensation damage or indeed maybe a leak. Only investigation will tell you I would think. 

2 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

White box a sound insulation box ??

Looks like the remains of an acoustic cover - the white pipe at the back going vertically looks like the vent / intake for the fan that may have existed.

11 hours ago, CV32 said:

- the white pipe at the back going vertically looks like the vent / intake for the fan that may have existed.

Looks like for exiting hot or feeding cold air to the alternators   

Looks like substantial wood rot around the windows and damp areas. Age and rot seems to have caused the wood to wither and shrink. It would probably need the windows removing and the woodwork treated and replaced as necessary.  Cost...????? and time.

Other more educated opinions may vary.

16 hours ago, kawaton said:

Hoping to get some advice on the damage in these pictures.

If this is a boat you are looking to buy, just walk quickly away - the damage behind the woodwork will be much worse than you can see on the 'face' of the woodwork.

Boats are generally 'sloping' from front to back, and often from side to side meaning that a leak can run 'miles' from its origin before it hits an 'obstacle' and start to seep thru and rotting the wood.

No matter how much you rub down and even try and use bleach on the wood, you can very rarely get rid of the 'watermarks' - it will be a case of cutting out all of the effected wood and rebuilding (relining).

If you have already purchased the boat - (remember BOAT = Bring Out Another Thousand) then you will need a few 'BOATS' to sort it out.

Edit : Walk away unless the seller is giving it away.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

7 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Looks like for exiting hot or feeding cold air to the alternators   

It looks to me as if it branches and feeds to both the FRONT (wrong end) of the alternator and the air cleaner. I feel the trunking may not have enough cross sectional area and if it does work for the alternator its because the engine will spend a lot of time drawing air away from it.

I went looking to buy, but I won't be.

Wasnt sure if I was being too cautious but Alan's comments (Thankyou!!) suggest I am not. £45k isn't giving it away either!!

Many thanks also for clarification on other questions....I am learning.

Would anyone mind giving feedback on the roof / chimney pictures. Is that a concern? Or normal on an older boat! ( in case I see similar on future viewings!)

Edited by kawaton
Typo

Colecraft, 62ft. 20 years.

The pictures / details made me think the boat was worthy of a visit and potential low offer.....had it been in good condition.

The search goes on!

Edited by kawaton

1 hour ago, kawaton said:

I went looking to buy, but I won't be.

Wasnt sure if I was being too cautious but Alan's comments (Thankyou!!) suggest I am not. £45k isn't giving it away either!!

Many thanks also for clarification on other questions....I am learning.

Would anyone mind giving feedback on the roof / chimney pictures. Is that a concern? Or normal on an older boat! ( in case I see similar on future viewings!)

It looks like rust under the paint to me but I bet its under the chimney collar so whatever you do to the visible part like grinding/sanding/treating it is very likely to creep back over a very few years or even months.