Mooring in Bath

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

As far as I know all the visitor moorings on the Avon in Bath are owned by Bath and North East Somerset Council, and I know they closed some of them in 2015. There may still be some moorings available, and I suggest you contact the Council for further information:- RiverAvon@bathnes.gov.uk.

Pulteney Bridge Moorings, by the Rugby Ground, are basically closed UFN, although as David says it may be possible to moor the odd boat there. 

I don't think you can moor readily by the bus station unless you are willing to use a step ladder to get off the roof of the boat. A little further along at Avon Street the moorings are being redeveloped but are still useable, 72 hours max

I reckon its 14 days, but its on the river so I would not leave the boat unattended for too long. Heading towards Bristol moorings are more difficult and often "squatted".

...............Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

I reckon its 14 days, but its on the river so I would not leave the boat unattended for too long. Heading towards Bristol moorings are more difficult and often "squatted".

...............Dave

Yes, I recently cycled along the old railway path which runs close to the Avon, and was surprised to see so many liveaboard boats moored, something which one never used to see. Ok in the summer (perhaps) but I would not even consider mooring on the Bristol Avon in the winter, the water level can rise by metres overnight.

Just a thought as we passed through a few days ago and noted that between bridges 200 and 204 just downstream of bath there is a very long streatch of chains attached to to the high walls with occasional vertical ladders for access. 

This is in a largely industrial area, but is within striking distance of the city, and was virtually bereft of boats.

Perhaps sufficient gap between the various bridges to find somewhere reasonably quiet if OK with the ladders and lack lustre industrial location?

There were also similar but occupied moorings just upstream of Widcombe Lock near the rail bridge and ideal for the city, but these would be noisy.

Perhaps someone with local knowledge can comment?

20 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Yes, I recently cycled along the old railway path which runs close to the Avon, and was surprised to see so many liveaboard boats moored, something which one never used to see. Ok in the summer (perhaps) but I would not even consider mooring on the Bristol Avon in the winter, the water level can rise by metres overnight.

We did our annual trip down to Bristol in May and there was a noticeable increase in liveaboard boats, but most looked to be on proper pontoon type residential moorings so I assume they are suitably flood proof. I still imagine its not a relaxing way of life when the river flows though.

...............Dave

24 minutes ago, gbclive said:

Just a thought as we passed through a few days ago and noted that between bridges 200 and 204 just downstream of bath there is a very long streatch of chains attached to to the high walls with occasional vertical ladders for access. 

This is in a largely industrial area, but is within striking distance of the city, and was virtually bereft of boats.

Perhaps sufficient gap between the various bridges to find somewhere reasonably quiet if OK with the ladders and lack lustre industrial location?

There were also similar but occupied moorings just upstream of Widcombe Lock near the rail bridge and ideal for the city, but these would be noisy.

Perhaps someone with local knowledge can comment?

If those chains and ladder were on the left as you go downstream, they are owned by the industrial properties on the bank, and are what I believe to be remnants of what used to be wharfage for those properties. Some are currently unoccupied, so mooring would not be prevented immediately by the owners, the only problem might be getting of the sites which are security locked from the road.

Edited by David Schweizer

17 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

If those chains and ladder were on the left as you go downstream, they are owned by the industrial properties on the bank, and are what I believe to be remnants of what used to be wharfage for those properties. Some are currently unoccupied, so mooring would not be prevented immediately by the owners, the only problem might be getting of the sites which are security locked from the road.

Good point David, but they were on both sides.

I do recall seeing a couple of no mooring signs, but that still seemed to leave the majority of the streatch with no signage.

We marked the area down as a last option to stop overnight tomorrow on our return from Bristol, if unable to find anywhere better.

1 hour ago, gbclive said:

Good point David, but they were on both sides.

I do recall seeing a couple of no mooring signs, but that still seemed to leave the majority of the streatch with no signage.

We marked the area down as a last option to stop overnight tomorrow on our return from Bristol, if unable to find anywhere better.

Do they also have bankside railings? in which case they are more likely to be part the recent safety additions, designed to try and reduce the number of (usually drunk) young men falling in and not being able to get out. I suspect if you attempted to moor against to those chains, you would be quickly moved on.

Edited by David Schweizer

15 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Do they also have bankside railings? in which case they are more likely to be part the recent safety additions, designed to try and reduce the number of (drunk) young men falling in and not being able to get out. I suspect if you attempted to moor against to those chains, you would be quickly moved on.

OK - thanks for that ☹️

The area with chains attached to the piling all abuts industrial land or land currently being developed so is not accessible. Mooring on the river sides (chains) close to the city is regulated by the council who do not want boats. Other locations are controlled by CRT who are under pressure to move the squatters from the visitor moorings so that all can use them.

No additional fencing has been erected to prevent drowning  - the fencing along the lower wharf area is due to the current development work which has also reduced visitor moorings by about 40%.

Having just visited Bristol we found that all the visitor moorings along the river were full of squatters and had difficulty mooring above Hanham lock prior to getting permission to enter the tidal section into Bristol.

14 hours ago, adrianh said:

- the fencing along the lower wharf area is due to the current development work which has also reduced visitor moorings by about 40%.

Slight improvement now - the temporary metal fencing has been moved back so as to restore access and use of this whole stretch of 48 hour visitor moorings. However most of the 3 or 4 available ones today are at the noisier end towards the bridge.

• 4 years later...

Best option probably north side of river by the Avon street car park. There were some downstream on the other side, but these were a bit further out from the centre. There are a few half way up the lock flight on the canal, but usually very busy and above the lock flight often nose to tail boats.

On 06/08/2021 at 21:30, Iceni_exporer said:

Thanks for the advice, Moored there right now. Ideal for central Bath. Seems strange that there are so few rings and folks are tied to the newly installed fence.

I noticed your boat name, is that the one from Gt Haywood