Diesels to be banned

dor

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Nah, we are all [voters] too used to air travel now and the aero industry has lots of political power.

I can easily solve overpopulation:

Make tight underpants obligatory for all males over the age of twelve.

or make heterosexuality an offence and require that all adults should only be allowed to practice LGBTQ sex except on February 29.

2 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I've had this fantastic idea - why don't we have smaller schools close to where the pupils live, and send the pupils to the school nearest their homes, so that they can walk there? (Walking - its a sort of synchronised swinging of those lower bits of your body. Even politicians can do it, with a bit of effort.)

nah ..........  that'll never catch on.  yumanrites won't permit it.

1 hour ago, Peter Thornton said:

It's going to happen, and faster than we might think. The first impact on boating will be a ban on running engines in residential areas when stationary - I predict. Which will lead to visitor moorings having power hook ups and making a charge.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing!

However given the number of narrowboats to cars, even putting aside being an owner of a steam narrowboat who's freinds mainly have vintage diesels 50+ years old, I also predict narrowboats will be relatively late adopters.

5 hours ago, Loddon said:

What planet were you on not the same one as me. I had a cd player from 1984, mobile phone in 1992,  and my first email address in 1983 (Telecom Gold). Admitedly I worked in an industry that was a very early adopter of technolgy.

34 years ago and I might have agreed

Yeah, but on the flipside I'm 30 and remember clearly my parents getting their first home computer, circa 1995, their first mobile phone, and videos being on vhs.

Daniel

10 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I've had this fantastic idea - why don't we have smaller schools close to where the pupils live, and send the pupils to the school nearest their homes, so that they can walk there? (Walking - its a sort of synchronised swinging of those lower bits of your body. Even politicians can do it, with a bit of effort.)

It could also be useful for getting to and from work. Perhaps 100 years ago, most people lived within walking, or at least cycling, distance of their place of work, often in housing built specifically for workers in that job: I'm thinking, for example, of Bournville in Birmingham, Fleetville in St. Albans, the estate of railway houses by Derby station, Saltaire, the hundreds of pit villages where miners and their families lived.

Now the main road between our two nearest towns of Wisbech and March is crowded morning and evening, as Wisbech residents going to and from work in March pass March residents on their way to and from their jobs in Wisbech. In what way is this sensible? For eight years of my career I lived in a tied cottage or flat, and arrived at work fresh and bright after my four-minute "commute". That seemed sensible to me.

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

It could also be useful for getting to and from work. Perhaps 100 years ago, most people lived within walking, or at least cycling, distance of their place of work, often in housing built specifically for workers in that job: I'm thinking, for example, of Bournville in Birmingham, Fleetville in St. Albans, the estate of railway houses by Derby station, Saltaire, the hundreds of pit villages where miners and their families lived.

Now the main road between our two nearest towns of Wisbech and March is crowded morning and evening, as Wisbech residents going to and from work in March pass March residents on their way to and from their jobs in Wisbech. In what way is this sensible? For eight years of my career I lived in a tied cottage or flat, and arrived at work fresh and bright after my four-minute "commute". That seemed sensible to me.

Basically I would agree, however the modern trend for everyone expecting to own their home leads to people buying where they can afford rather than where is convenient for work.

Just now, Robbo said:

In around 20 years I see car ownership declining.  Youngsters these days are not that bothered about driving and the self driving hire car will be just a app a away.

Heven't heard much about self driving cars since there was a fatal accident, not sure if it was ever a go-er

21 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Basically I would agree, however the modern trend for everyone expecting to own their home leads to people buying where they can afford rather than where is convenient for work.

But trends, by their very nature, change over the years. Who could have predicted in the 1980s that 30 years later there would be a trend for people to carry a personal telephone about in their pockets? Or that electric cars, seen as old-fashioned and impracticable 50 years before that, would be the transport of the future?

I look forward to the reappearance of the Stanley Steamer.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

But trends, by their very nature, change over the years. Who could have predicted in the 1980s that 30 years later there would be a trend for people to carry a personal telephone about in their pockets? Or that electric cars, seen as old-fashioned and impracticable 50 years before that, would be the transport of the future?

Well the in the 60’s tv shows had predicted we would have a “communications” device in our pocket.   I don’t think I’ve seen a show where it was predicted we would have a personal computer in our pocket tho.

7 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Well the in the 60’s tv shows had predicted we would have a “communications” device in our pocket.   I don’t think I’ve seen a show where it was predicted we would have a personal computer in our pocket tho.

In the '60s, many people would have asked, "A personal what?"

The communication device was probably a pen.

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

There's an old Asimov story about someone travelling to the future to bring back knowledge of the technological advances in use then.  Turned out to be the bow and arrow.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

In the '60s, many people would have asked, "A personal what?"

The communication device was probably a pen.

It was the Star Trek flip communicator thingy I as thinking of.

Edited by Robbo

IThey would have said you were mad if you had said, say twenty years ago, that not only would you have a communication device in your pocket, but you could also have one hour high definition video call to someone in Australia.............  for free!

2 minutes ago, dor said:

IThey would have said you were mad if you had said, say twenty years ago, that not only would you have a communication device in your pocket, but you could also have one hour high definition video call to someone in Australia.............  for free!

20 years ago we had personal/communication computers in our pocket already.

BBC news this morning - an 'expert' stated that hybrid cars will still be sold, so the proposals are not that revolutionary; in fact, that being the case, why don't they bring in the rules within 10 years?  -  as everyone says, the car industry is ready and hybrids don't present an infrastructure problem.

Edited by Murflynn

4 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

BBC news this morning - an 'expert' stated that hybrid cars will still be sold, so the proposals are not that revolutionary; in fact, that being the case, why don't they bring in the rules within 10 years?  -  as everyone says, the car industry is ready and hybrids don't present an infrastructure problem.

You make your point very forcefully. Could it be that personal communication devices have still not quite been perfected?

4 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

They must have been trying hard to get the message over if they said it 3 times!   :D

please check my post - I only said it once :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

You make your point very forcefully. Could it be that personal communication devices have still not quite been perfected?

oddly enough I am on a good old fashioned desktop PC - it was CWDF that didn't close the new post window after I hit the button 'submit reply' so I hit it again.  :apple:

19 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Has anyone seen the actual government proposals?  All I can find is press reports, but there was mention of the careful inserting of the word "conventional" when referring to petrol/diesel vehicles.  It's the usual government spin to make us think they are doing something totally radical when in fact this is the way the industry is heading anyway. 

1 minute ago, Neil2 said:

All I can find is press reports, but there was mention of the careful inserting of the word "conventional" when referring to petrol/diesel vehicles. 

Yes, there is to be an exemption for cars driven by nuns.

Not sure if it's been said already but regarding moving goods, in 30 years time we probably won't move very much by road/rail other than food and clothing.  3D printers will be commonplace and pretty much all media will be digitally transmitted.

43 minutes ago, Robbo said:

20 years ago we had personal/communication computers in our pocket already.

Yes of course, I had one over twenty years ago.  The point I was making was that the phone now can be used for Skype calls; i.e. HD video calls.  That certainly wasn't the norm 20 years ago.

13 minutes ago, dor said:

Yes of course, I had one over twenty years ago.  The point I was making was that the phone now can be used for Skype calls; i.e. HD video calls.  That certainly wasn't the norm 20 years ago.

Although you could see that coming,  Skype n all that is around 15 years ago.

Most of the stuff we have around now you could say we saw coming from the 60’s with programs like Star Trek n the like.   Although I think transporters may be a while off, if ever. :)

Edited by Robbo