Just a warning burton on trent

mart166

Featured Posts

Ok thanks for the above, maybe we picked the wrong night, and not knowing a town the wrong places.

As for non english speakers that accounts for about %90 of my customers so no problems there, also must add I live in East London, so I either speak bengali or use a posh accent.

Proper cider will not go into a battery, the lumps of apple and god knows whatelse will not fit through the holes, we were at a cider farm in Dorset and the added ingrediant was a lump of pork during brewing, but the cider was good.

:)

Mart

Also thanks to everyone for the sensible awnsers, and the funny ones.

Do not feel like a victim of crime I never commited

Mart

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

I thought tradition said it should be a dead rat!

Could have been, but still tasted nice

:)

Mart

• 2 weeks later...

As for gastropubs, when we picked up our rental narrowboat we were too early, so asked where we could grab a bit of lunch, directed to a pub at end of lane, on arrival was obvious just been converted into a gastropub, two rolls and two glasses of wine cost £27, thats more than we pay in London. Cannot see that lasting long when there are still some lovely traditional pubs in the country. Also why should I pay for there conversion ??

Mart

Not sure from the thread where you collected your hire boat from but presume not Burton.........not many gastropubs in the town (thankfully).  Personally, I would check out prices before ordering and decide whether to stay or move on.........you mentioned your dislike of gastropubs earlier - in that case, it was best avoided?       Oh, and London prices are extemely variable, I am sure you will agree - £27 for a light lunch for two including a glass of wine each is hardly overkill for many London establishments.............

We are in Great Bedwyn at present. Only one pub. Sadly. Popped in there for a drink. A pint of ordinary ale and a G&T. £9.50!!!

The moorings here are about full. Lessen the prices and they would have a full pub. Looking at the menu,the food prices are in the same category.

On 9/8/2017 at 14:16, Sunflower16 said:

Not sure from the thread where you collected your hire boat from but presume not Burton.........not many gastropubs in the town (thankfully).  Personally, I would check out prices before ordering and decide whether to stay or move on.........you mentioned your dislike of gastropubs earlier - in that case, it was best avoided?       Oh, and London prices are extemely variable, I am sure you will agree - £27 for a light lunch for two including a glass of wine each is hardly overkill for many London establishments.............

We collected the boat from Napton, found out at end of holiday a lovely canal-side pub, such is life.

As for London, we can get pie and mash and a glass of squash for under a fiver, but that is very rare, our local so called cafe gives you a bill in excess of £20 just for breakfast and a wake up  drink. It's getting stupid here, I used to eat out regular, but the prices are getting ridiculous, and you find the quality of food goes downhill once they are open a while.

such is life :)

Mart

If anyone moors in Islington I can give you a recommendation, it's called the lucky chip and is in walking distance of canal, it's in a rather noisy pub which I have not been in, they started out in a van in a market close to my house, got voted as best burgers in UK and they deserved it.

They have expanded and now have 4 outlets, our nearest and there biggest nowhere near a canal. But the burgers are supreme none of this pile it high just good food and not silly on prices, as long as you don't mind polystyrene cartons for burgers and chips in plastic bowls, sounds gross but i love it there (and I would not touch a mc donalds with a barge pole)

Mart