Eating options Hillmorton

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Jeff may be on strike tonight re: eating on the boat! We should be Hillmorton are, hopefully above the locks. Does anyone know the current dining out options around the locks or at the wharf a bit further on towards Braunston please?

Eating options are pretty sparse around Hillmorton.

The Butlers Leap is passable if rather corporate at Clifton on Dunsmore. But at Hillmorton proper there si only the Cafe by the locks run by CanalChef here, and I'm not if he opens in the evenings any longer, or the Hungry Horse which looks closed whenever I've been past recently. 

Hungry Horse = Royal Oak

Otherwise keep going to Braunston!

(Or send a taxi out for fish and chips...)

36 minutes ago, Dharl said:

There is the Old Royal Oak round at Hilmorton Wharf, however we only stopped for a drink there and cant vouch for the food though!

We were in there about 6 weeks ago. The food was very average and the building was covered in scaffolding, but the area is not good for decent venues. I would second the idea of a taxi to Braunston.

Howard

Just now, howardang said:

We were in there about 6 weeks ago. The food was very average and the building was covered in scaffolding, but the area is not good for decent venues. I would second the idea of a taxi to Braunston.

Howard

More choice in Rugby, and closer too!

Thanks folks. I didn't mention that we have Jeff's mum on board and she has COPD so walking 13 mins (at normal walking speed) etc is out of the equation. Jeff's just gone to the shops - looks like we'll be eating on board after all!

The Exotica Bengal Restaurant in Hillmorton used to be very good but it's a 10 minute walk uphill from the first bridge after the locks (going up) and under the railway. But that's out because Jeff's Mum can't walk that far.

Edited by Paul Evans

28 minutes ago, Paul Evans said:

The Exotica Bengal Restaurant in Hillmorton used to be very good but it's a 10 minute walk uphill from the first bridge after the locks (going up) and under the railway. But that's out because Jeff's Mum can't walk that far.

Unless they do local deliveries! Most Indian Restaurants do.

The Old Royal Oak is basically McDonalds with beer. Desperation dining IMO. Once you get past there/the wharf, there is pretty much nada until Braunston.

In terms of a 15 min or so walk from either the locks or the wharf, if you moor at the locks you have Exotica (Indian) a 15 min or less reasonably slow walk, albeit with a couple of not too bad hills. This is on Lower Street. Head up the road called "The Locks," over the railway tracks, hang a left onto School Street and keep going for about another 1/3 of a mile. It's less than a mile walk all told.

There's an eat-in Chinese called Jasmine Court about twenty minutes walk the other way, but that may be too far?

At Hillmorton Wharf, you are looking at a short but all uphill walk to get to anywhere else-there are a couple of pubs about half a mile away if you go left out of the gates by the Old Royal Oak, neither of which I can guarantee will be serving food by the time you are likely to get there. The same distance and by the first pub is a small parade of shops with takeaway pizza, Chinese and chippy shops, also a Coop.

About a mile away all told (going in the same direction) is a small parade of shops with another good Indian, and a takeaway chippie. As mentioned, all uphill. 

If you don't want to go out at all, for the locks there are two places that I know will deliver to you if you go to the front of Badseys/the bridge, being Canton Chef (Chinese, obvs) on 01788 553388 and Exotica (as above) on 01788 551584. Give them the postcode CV21 4PP for Badseys and tell them to phone when they set off and meet you by the bridge. The Chinese is average to good, and the Indian good.

Canton Chef will also deliver to the wharf, not sure on the Indian.

**I should have read the whole thread properly, I see you are already sorted!

Edited by Starcoaster

The Hungry Horse hasn't got a very good reputation amongst those who live around the area.

Butler's Leap has just changed hands and is now a Pizza and Grill ..... whatever that means.

Sorry but the best eateries are in the centre of Ruggers. Personally I'd push onto Newbold the Barley Mow is excellent, dog friendly, good food, very friendly staff and canal side.

http://www.barleymow-newbold.co.uk/

Thanks all. In the end, we bought BBQ stuff at tescos, had a very pleasant BBQ on the VMs below the locks (surprised to get a space at 18:30) in the evening sun. Then thought "hmmmm, bottom of boat banging on the stone canal wall, trains clanking, combine harvester maybe doing an all-nighter in the next field. So..." we set off up the locks at 20:30. Very mellow except of course the upper pound was very very low (seems to have a massive leak from somewhere) so had to run water down. My plan was to chug on a bit until we left the railway behind at the wharf, but oops it was stone walls for a few miles until beyond the M40 etc. Never mind, a pleasant night cruise which the in-laws seemed to really enjoy. And nobody whinged at us! (Boats passed at tickover or neutral with the headlamp well dimmed (yes, we have a dimming headlamp). Tied up at 22:30. It's got to be better than watching the telly!

1 minute ago, zenataomm said:

Personally I'd push onto Newbold the Barley Mow is excellent, dog friendly, good food, very friendly staff and canal side.

http://www.barleymow-newbold.co.uk/

It's a long way to reverse!

44 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Thanks all. In the end, we bought BBQ stuff at tescos, had a very pleasant BBQ on the VMs below the locks (surprised to get a space at 18:30) in the evening sun. Then thought "hmmmm, bottom of boat banging on the stone canal wall, trains clanking, combine harvester maybe doing an all-nighter in the next field. So..." we set off up the locks at 20:30. Very mellow except of course the upper pound was very very low (seems to have a massive leak from somewhere) so had to run water down. My plan was to chug on a bit until we left the railway behind at the wharf, but oops it was stone walls for a few miles until beyond the M40 etc. Never mind, a pleasant night cruise which the in-laws seemed to really enjoy. And nobody whinged at us! (Boats passed at tickover or neutral with the headlamp well dimmed (yes, we have a dimming headlamp). Tied up at 22:30. It's got to be better than watching the telly!

It's a long way to reverse!

Excellent, another convert to night cruising!!