30 members have voted

1. 1. Which theme do you prefer?

• I prefer the default theme (Shift)
    • I prefer the "Ortem" theme
    • I prefer the legacy theme
    • I have no preference
    • Abstain

Featured Posts

You may or may not know that Canal World currently has three different themes to choose from depending on your taste. These comprise of:

- Shift (Default)
- Ortem
- Legacy 

While not identical, the legacy theme looks similar to the theme used on the previous version of Canal World.

You may easily try out the different themes by clicking the text link named "Theme" at the bottom of each page. While the themes are designed by third parties and not ourselves, I'm interested to hear your preferences/opinions on the current set of themes we have available along with your reasons why.

Cheers

RichM

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Legacy for me, does what I want to see with no fiddle faddle. I'm not interested in "chat" or other frills, just exchanging posts about waterways stuff.

Exactly. I've made my views clear in another thread, that there is no reason to have a choice in this matter or several other aspects of the site - it just complicates things.

KISS (although I hasten to add that in no way do I think you stupid!) :)

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Are the themes all the same functionally, i.e. are they just different colour schemes? I can hardly tell the difference between them all.

I blame Tony Blair for this insane obsession with providing ever more 'choice', when none was asked for.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

No I can't, because I refuse to even consider it :)

So you don't have to, I just played with it. It changes a lot of the colours, but not the ones surrounding the users text. Why you would want an orange scheme with blue banners to the posts is beyond me

The next challenge is switching back to something which looks right, which I think is 'Blueberry'

Richard

On 23/07/2017 at 23:18, RLWP said:

So you don't have to, I just played with it. It changes a lot of the colours, but not the ones surrounding the users text. Why you would want an orange scheme with blue banners to the posts is beyond me

The next challenge is switching back to something which looks right, which I think is 'Blueberry'

Richard

That's because the immature 22 year old developers have in desperation added this as a substitute for fixing the plethora of tiny reductions in user-friendliness they have arrogantly introduced in the new version they have written and foisted on the userbase. 

49 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Exactly. I've made my views clear in another thread, that there is no reason to have a choice in this matter or several other aspects of the site - it just complicates things.

KISS (although I hasten to add that in no way do I think you stupid!) :)

Well evidently from the poll results thus far, we can see people have different opinions as to which theme they prefer and as such I think allowing people to choose their preference is surely a good thing. It's not as though we're forcing people to make a choice. We provide a default option and if people wish to change it, they can. 

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's because the immature 22 year old developers have in desperation added this as a substitute for fixing the plethora of tiny reductions in user-friendliness they have arrogantly introduced in the new version they have written and foisted on the userbase. 

Some people users may have visual impairments or colour deficiencies and allowing them to change the colour scheme may help them in that regard. Also, the individual who developed the Shift theme had absolutely nothing to do with the development of IPBoard itself. 

9 hours ago, RichM said:

Some people users may have visual impairments or colour deficiencies and allowing them to change the colour scheme may help them in that regard. 

And if it changed the whole colour scheme, that would make sense. Only it doesn't, it only changes the stuff on the outside edges, not the text, page or banner on each post

The visual impairment argument is a bit specious. I've worked with someone who had such an impairment, the schemes don't offer the sort of changes they would need. For instance, you cannot use the paintbrush to offer green text on a purple background

Not that it makes any difference to me, I tried the other colours and themes, I'm back to using the default

Richard

1 hour ago, mross said:

I like the 'Shift' theme but the chat bubble on my phone is a little annoying.  Do we really need 'chat'?

We don't need anything.....

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

And if it changed the whole colour scheme, that would make sense. Only it doesn't, it only changes the stuff on the outside edges, not the text, page or banner on each post.

Not that it makes any difference to me, I tried the other colours and themes, I'm back to using the default

Richard

Have you seen that you can change the 'header' and 'content' colour.

Fairly pointless in many ways, but it's what it does, and you can simply not do it and leave it on the defaults we have chosen for your dedication.

Daniel

16 hours ago, WotEver said:

I wish to change my vote. I voted for 'no pref' but I do have a preference, I prefer Shift (once I told the chat bubble to bugger off). . 

What's this about a chat bubble? I don't have one, AFAICS. And I didn't tell it to do anything. Or is it the little speech bubble in each of the chain of bobbles on the left in VNC?  What are they anyway?  Nothing happens when I click on them.