Started so I'll finish

haza

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, b0atman said:

liquorice sticks can usually be found at the health food shops nowadays what i liked and never see any more was tiger nuts 

Well, tigers are an endangered species these days...

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

And there were ''Little Imps'' tiny, very strong licorice pills that came in a tiny red and black packet. Not to mention the bowel mover Xlax which we bought at the chemist, a very strong kind of dark chocolate for sufferers of constipation We loved Xlax, we would have to sit on the toilet to eat it. :mellow:.

As a school boy I once made a batch of chocolates and laced them with some sort of Xlax and handed them out the following day at school. 

No one ever realised :)

13 hours ago, bizzard said:

And there were ''Little Imps'' tiny, very strong licorice pills that came in a tiny red and black packet. Not to mention the bowel mover Xlax which we bought at the chemist, a very strong kind of dark chocolate for sufferers of constipation We loved Xlax, we would have to sit on the toilet to eat it. :mellow:.

13 hours ago, WotEver said:

There still are :)  They come in a tiny tin these days - bought some a couple of weeks ago. 

I haven't been able to find any "Imps", but I did find these in a local garden centre! 

Not as strong as Imps though. :mellow:

WotEver, where did you find your Imps?

20170725_083507.jpg

On 24/07/2017 at 19:05, WotEver said:

There still are :)  They come in a tiny tin these days - bought some a couple of weeks ago. 

Wow I loved those and haven't seen them for decades.

I bet they aren't as strong as when we were kids though. Like Marmite, I think the taste will have been diluted.

And before anyone starts, we KNOW Marmite has been diluted, or there would be no difference between modern Marmite and Marmite XO.

Digestive biscuits. They've changed beyond all recognition. Completely different these days. 

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

WotEver, where did you find your Imps?

In a small supermarket in Taurito, Gran Canaria :D

I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that they'd therefore be available here. Does Mr Google offer no assistance?

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Does Mr Google offer no assistance?

Apparently not.

https://www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk/gone-but-not-forgotten/imps-mighty-liquorice.html

https://www.oldestsweetshop.co.uk/mighty-imps

The two places that advertise them say they are out of stock.

The ones in the second link look like imposters to me.

14 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The two places that advertise them say they are out of stock.

The ones in the second link look like imposters to me.

Well, it does give an address, in Yorkshire, and a proper phone number, which suggests that it's an above-board business.

Just now, Athy said:

Well, it does give an address, in Yorkshire, and a proper phone number, which suggests that it's an above-board business.

I meant imposter from the point that the packaging is nothing like the original (a tin as shown in the first link) as it appears the imps are packed in a plastic flip top container. 

Just now, cuthound said:

I meant imposter from the point that the packaging is nothing like the original (a tin as shown in the first link) as it appears the imps are packed in a plastic flip top container. 

And it says "Sadly these are no longer made :-( the nearest product to the Imps are Nipits)". So imposters or not, you can't get them!

Ah, gotcha.

I have no memory of "Imps"; but as a boy in Sheffield, I used to buy a product called "Car-Tin". A little round flattish tin, with a picture of a car on the lid, was filled with liquorice pellets. There were different car designs to encourage kids to collect the whole set.

Just now, Athy said:

Ah, gotcha.

I have no memory of "Imps"; but as a boy in Sheffield, I used to buy a product called "Car-Tin". A little round flattish tin, with a picture of a car on the lid, was filled with liquorice pellets. There were different car designs to encourage kids to collect the whole set.

That sounds like an Imp imposter to me :P

• Greenie 1

When I was a lad in Sheffield sweets were still on ration but some sweet stuff wasn't, there was licorice root, tiger nuts and locus beans. You can still get tiger nuts at the nut stall in The Moor Market, I last saw licorice root in the sweet shop oposite The Castle pub in Skipton and the last time I saw locus bean bits was in the Guinea Pig food my kids were feeding to the herd they had grown.

I have not seen for a long time my favourite licorice . It is a little stick (2 inches long and slimmer than a pencil) of very hard and brittle licorice. You could lick it to a shart point and get a tongue blacker than a fire back. Imps, Nigroids and Nippits are all similar, you used to be able to buy Imps loose at Wicker Herbal Stores by the Peace Gardens, they were much cheaper there.

Incidentaly that sweet shop in Skipton has some salty licorice that is really nice.

As a parting observation, have you noticed that there is rarely a single real licorice piece in licorice allsorts anymore.

Ade

PS All places above are Sheffield unless it is Skipton.

PPS You get a very fine pint of Theakston's Old Peculiar in The Castle in Skipton

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Haven't seen a Caramac for years, in fact I would have thought it was a village in South-Western France until these posts reminded me of it.

I still see them in our corner shop.