Boat appears to have been broken into.

Nunovyrbizz

Featured Posts

I've just taken the dog for a walk and been past a boat that has been moored here (Yiewsley, GU) for around a week. 

In the bow well deck, the front security gate has been wrenched off and the door window broken above the Yale lock. I'm pretty certain it wasn't like that yesterday when I walked past. I gave a shout but it appears no one is on board.

The boat's name is written in either Greek or Cyrillic letters which I am not able to reproduce here but it has Zhodino written in brackets in small letters underneath. It is about a 50ft blue trad with a large No3 painted towards the stern.

If you are the owner or anyone knows them, could you let them know and that it is in an unsecured state.I'll keep an eye on it while I am still here but I'm moving on tomorrow. I've reported it to the police via 101 and they said they are going to send a unit down shortly.

I would phone it in to CRT, or whoever the licencing organisation is in the area, as they should be able to contact the owner.

Proberbly best not to post the details of the boats location on here.

Daniel

54 minutes ago, DHutch said:

I would phone it in to CRT, or whoever the licencing organisation is in the area, as they should be able to contact the owner.

Proberbly best not to post the details of the boats location on here.

Daniel

Cheers, just tried and got an answerphone. Will try again tomorrow. Should I go back and edit out the location? How do I remove the tags?

5 minutes ago, mark99 said:

That area is getting a reputation on the bank too. Postings in here in last month that it's not be trusted as a mooring spot.

I've been on the stretch directly outside Tesco for the past 10 days or so while I did some work on the boat and have had no problems but there are 8 CCTV cameras focusing on that 200 yard stretch and I've been on board apart from when walking the dog or popping to the shops. Unfortunately the other boater was moored further along out of view of the cameras.

There are definitely plenty of undesirables around here, I would not be happy to leave my boat unoccupied without a doubt.

23 minutes ago, Nunovyrbizz said:

Cheers, just tried and got an answerphone. Will try again tomorrow. Should I go back and edit out the location? How do I remove the tags? 

Ask one of the moderators to do it by reporting your own post? 

16 hours ago, cuthound said:

Ask one of the moderators to do it by reporting your own post? 

It's quite possible to edit one's own post; I just wonder at the wisdom or use of doing so. Stable door...bolted...horse...after all, "Boat broken into somewhere in England" is not a great deal of help to anybody.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's quite possible to edit one's own post; I just wonder at the wisdom or use of doing so. Stable door...bolted...horse...after all, "Boat broken into somewhere in England" is not much help to anybody.

Didn't realise you could edit the title or attached tags, thought you could only edit a post for a short while after posting. Certainly I can only edit mine for about an hour after posting.

The criminal fraternity are certainly picking up on the increasing amount of boats being left unattended and this will get more common as the criminal grapevine spreads news of easy pickings .You might think that a sign in the window saying nothing of value left on board will be a deterrent NO their is always something tin food coffee etc. Brass tiller arm etc. Batteries although heavy are good for scrap value .

15 hours ago, cuthound said:

Didn't realise you could edit the title or attached tags, thought you could only edit a post for a short while after posting. Certainly I can only edit mine for about an hour after posting.

I have just, as an experiment, edited my last post, 15 hours after I posted it, so yes, it's feasible.

Not sure what the "tags" to which you refer are, so I can't comment on those.

When you create a new thread, you can add tags.  Tags are supposed to be things related to the topic and should help others in the future as they can be used in searches.  So the recent topic/thread about the RM5130 fridge could have been tagged with 'gas' 'fridge' 'flame failure' thermostat etc.

But most posters don't seem to use them or quite understand how to make them useful! 

• Greenie 1

On 23/07/2017 at 17:03, Nunovyrbizz said:

There are definitely plenty of undesirables around here, I would not be happy to leave my boat unoccupied without a doubt.

My mum and dad used to say exactly the same about that area, fifty years ago.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I have just, as an experiment, edited my last post, 15 hours after I posted it, so yes, it's feasible.

Not sure what the "tags" to which you refer are, so I can't comment on those.

Thanks Athy, I definately can't edit my posts for long after I've written them.

I'll keep a check on this post and keep editing it, until the edit link disappears.

Strange the time available for editing changes with users.

Still editable after 40 minutes.

Edited by cuthound

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Thanks Athy, I definately can't edit my posts for long after I've written them.

I'll keep a check on this post and keep editing it, until the edit link disappears.

Strange the time available for editing changes with users.

Still editable after 40 minutes.

No longer editable after 70 minutes. :mellow:

Noted - I am far from being one of CWDF's boffins, but I hope that someone more boffinesque than myself will address the problem. Hence I have "reported" you post so that it may be seen by appropriate staff members.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Noted - I am far from being one of CWDF's boffins, but I hope that someone more boffinesque than myself will address the problem.

Thanks Athy, I suspect it is a switchable setting somewhere in the inner machinations of the graphical user interface :detective:

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

Thanks Athy, I suspect it is a switchable setting somewhere in the inner machinations of the graphical user interface :detective:

I believe us lowly members who don't have Admin privileges can only edit posts up to about an hour after they're posted. 

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I believe us lowly members who don't have Admin privileges can only edit posts up to about an hour after they're posted. 

Just checked and a post I made 7 hours ago is still editable and IIRC the edit button is there for nearly 24 hours

8 hours ago, mross said:

When you create a new thread, you can add tags.  Tags are supposed to be things related to the topic and should help others in the future as they can be used in searches.  So the recent topic/thread about the RM5130 fridge could have been tagged with 'gas' 'fridge' 'flame failure' thermostat etc.

But most posters don't seem to use them or quite understand how to make them useful! 

Users on the mobile skin (i.e. those viewing the forum on a smartphone) don't see tags.

29 minutes ago, WotEver said:

20 minutes ago, croftie said:

Just checked and a post I made 7 hours ago is still editable and IIRC the edit button is there for nearly 24 hours

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I have just been back to one I posted on 22nd and it is editable.

Looks like WotEver and I have been singled out for extra short editing times then. :mellow:

3 hours ago, croftie said:

Edit facility not showing for above post now - after only 3 hours............... either its random or forum settings have been changed