Tidal Thames to Teddington?

Featured Posts

Since March we have moved our boat from Sawley marina (Long Eaton) down the GU and are rested up by Kings Cross at Battlebridge Basin.

Thinking of going back North to Sawley via Oxford, Birmingham and maybe spur off to Llangollen before laying her (boat) up for the winter.

Anyone done the Limehouse to Teddington river bit, we would welcome any advice or information.

Thanks

Ade

To start, you are required to have and be authorised to use a marine band VHF radio - or go with a group of boats who have such. That means a bit of organisation at least.

Other points are 

• it's best to go when the tides are 'right'
  • It's good to go when the high speed cat: boats aren't running
  • You need an anchor and lots of rope and chain
  • If you have air intakes at or near the waterline - you should block them temporarily - there have more than one accident recently

So it's not a turn up and go type trip. Magical if you get it right.

Martin

Thank you for that link, very interesting and raises more concerns about my ability. Our boat in its current form was sailed up the Humber from Hull docks to Thorne so I have no worries about the boat's capabilities. 

Is it possible to hire a pilot to guide me up the river? We wear lifejackets on the rivers and our boat has all the safety kit mentioned but no VHF.

Ade

It's a great trip.  The last time we did it was a Sunday afternoon, and the river was rather busy -- I'd try to avoid times like that!  Blogs on the two times we've done it on our own boat are here.  If you don't have VHF, a post on here letting people know when you want to go will often produce someone with a Radio and a licence who will accompany you.  Last time we did it there was a guy without VHF moored at Limehouse, so he came with us in convoy, as only one boat in a convoy needs the radio.

Adam

Your trip looked awsome and a little daunting for a river novice like me. Talking to other boaters down here we were given the name and contact details of a river pilot. I called Ben and we are now sorted.

We will be sailing with an experienced Thames river pilot on board from Limehouse up the river on Saturday 29th July on an early tide opportunity.

Thanks for all the help and advice we are very much more at ease now and looking forward to the trip.

Ade

1 hour ago, Big Ade said:

Adam

Your trip looked awsome and a little daunting for a river novice like me. Talking to other boaters down here we were given the name and contact details of a river pilot. I called Ben and we are now sorted.

We will be sailing with an experienced Thames river pilot on board from Limehouse up the river on Saturday 29th July on an early tide opportunity.

Thanks for all the help and advice we are very much more at ease now and looking forward to the trip.

Ade

You won't regret it. It can be a bit hairy up to Vauxhall  or perhaps Battersea bridges with bumpy wash and the views below those two bridges are unforgettable. After that it's very pleasant. Keep an eye out for the entrance to Brentford - if you ever need to go that way.

Being prepared is the key - which you seem to have done.

We have done it on Emily Anne, very sea worth hull if not over powered. Loved it, cracking trip.

This was just before the VHF rules, maybe 10years ago now (gosh I feel old) but cracking good.

Daniel

11 hours ago, Big Ade said:

Adam

Ade

Big Ben? You will pass him on the way, he's attached to the gasworks and has a big clock.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

Its well woth joining one of St Pancras CC's organised trips if you want to do this in company.

For benefit of others, we normally do one of these each year, in about May.

A  lot of narrowboat focussed advice on these two sites:

http://www.thamescruising.co.uk/wordpress/

https://www.boatingonthethames.co.uk/Narrow-Boating

PS the wash from the clippers is not that bad. You do need to keep a good lookout astern as below Tower Bridge you can get less than a minute's warning of them overtaking you at 25 kts.. There are other boats that generate a lot more wash.  Enjoy! Make sure your diesel is clean

On 23/07/2017 at 22:21, bizzard said:

Big Ben? You will pass him on the way, he's attached to the gasworks and has a big clock.

Is he Chinese?

:D

On 23/07/2017 at 21:59, David Mack said:

Its well woth joining one of St Pancras CC's organised trips if you want to do this in company.

Wot he said.

We did that in May.

Highly recommended.

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:17, Big Ade said:

Adam

Ade

Saw You :-)

https://timlewis.smugmug.com/Ghenoar-Wittlin-at-Westminster/

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Tim

Thanks for the photos we have ordered them all. I hoped we could get London as a background to the boat but could not organise a shore line photographer. You came to our rescue with these shots, thanks once again.

Ade

3 hours ago, Big Ade said:

Tim

Thanks for the photos we have ordered them all. I hoped we could get London as a background to the boat but could not organise a shore line photographer. You came to our rescue with these shots, thanks once again.

Ade

Sheer co-incidence, if we hadn't been sheltering from the rain under the trees in Victoria Tower Gardens we would have missed you!

Didn't realise that you could buy photo's off the site! If you want the original files let me know your e-mail address and I will send them.

We had been on a Rib trip in the morning, don't know if any passed you but they dont half knock up a bow wave! We were also fortunate to see Tower Bridge being listed for a sailing barge during the trip.

Tim

IMG_0251.JPG

Edited by Tim Lewis

Our river pilot was Ben McCann, he is six generation riverman operating via his uncle's company (Thames Link Marine Ltd.) to assure you that it is all bona. Ben works on the river buses as his regular job so he has all the knowledge and patter of interesting sights ans history on the passage. Our trip was exciting, challenging and informative. Ben kept us out of danger especially as the huge river busses were manoevering to the piers, he knew what they were attempting, he also knew the channels and currents I needed to take or avoid. Without him I would have been properly stuffed.

If anybody wants to use Ben's services send me a PM and I will send you his phone number.

Ade

5 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Sheer co-incidence, if we hadn't been sheltering from the rain under the trees in Victoria Tower Gardens we would have missed you!

Didn't realise that you could buy photo's off the site! If you want the original files let me know your e-mail address and I will send them.

We had been on a Rib trip in the morning, don't know if any passed you but they dont half knock up a bow wave! We were also fortunate to see Tower Bridge being listed for a sailing barge during the trip.

Tim

IMG_0251.JPG

Thats the Ardwina.

http://www.rolfe-judd.co.uk/interiors/about-interiors/ardwina/