Slimline Cable Trunking

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I need to route a couple of speaker cables, and would like to use some mini slimline trunking which I recently saw in the house we rented in France. The trunking is not much more than a half centimetre wide and less than 0.5mm deep, it uses a slightly domed soft pliable plastic insert cover to seal it, which is very easy to fit and remove. It has some visually similarity to D Line trunking but is much smaller in profile.

The visual impact is far more attractive than the horrible ugly stuff used in the UK, but I do not seem to find any over here. Unfortunately i cannot find any photos to illustrate what I am looking for, and wondered whether any of our electrical boffins know of a UK supplier?

Edited by David Schweizer

26 minutes ago, philjw said:

That's three times the width and twice the height of what David's after. I've seen the tiny trunking he's talking about in Leroy Merlin over on Gran Canaria but I've never seen it over here. 

This is close but still twice the width you're after David:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/d-line-micro-decorative-trunking-accessories-white-16mm-x-8mm-x-2m-34-piece-set/93462

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

As an alternative have you considered this ultra thin flat cable? 

Apparently it can be wallpapered over or even painted. No idea what the sound quality is like though. 

http://gizmodo.com/256691/paper-thin-flatwire-disappears-under-paint

It's an interesting suggestion, although I am not sure it's wattage rating is high enough for a long speaker cable run. The other "problem" is that the wall it would need to be attached to is textured, so it would actually be quite visible.

I've used some "D" profile trunking for some wire, similar to that shown in comtech link above, but it is only 15mm wide and 5mm high (I presume you mean 5mm not 0.5mm in the original post David).  I think I bought it in B&Q, although about 9 years ago.

I am very grateful for all the responses, and suspect that I will end up using the smallest D profile available in the UK, but it will still not be as good as the trunking we saw in France. The French trunking was far less obtrusive in appearance, and had the practical advantage of a soft flexible capping, which was very easy to fit and remove, unlike the UK stuff, which is almost impossible to remove without serious effort, which in my experienc can pull the trunking off the wall before the capping comes off!

Edited to add:- I have just remembered that I have a friend who spends quite a lot of time in France helping his son, who is a builder. He may well be able to get me some of the trunking I am looking for.

Edited by David Schweizer

11 hours ago, ianali said:

I found some small trunking last year in Wickes. Can't remember size but is small, cover clips on/off easily and has a self adhesive strip.

Thanks for that, I have found some 12mm x 8mm in their catalogue, but they do not have any in our local store. Neverthaless, it is still much bigger than the stuff I saw in France, and is still the pattern which is difficult to open once fitted.

To be honest, if you have seen the trunking I saw in France, it is difficult to understand why we dont use the same type, and persist in using the big ugly and difficult stuff we have in the UK. It probably has something to do with over zealaous H & S rules, which won't bother the French very much, and anyway I want to use it for speaker able, not power cable.