Tidal Trent

jellybeano

Featured Posts

We are on our way up the River Trent from Keadby, came out this afternoon, overnight tonight at Torksey, then on to Cromwell and Newark etc early (0600!!!!) tomorrow, all very peaceful and lovely. Just wondered if anyone had any opinions re stopping on the pontoons at Gainsborough, they look inviting, but we have never stopped there. 

14 minutes ago, jellybeano said:

We are on our way up the River Trent from Keadby, came out this afternoon, overnight tonight at Torksey, then on to Cromwell and Newark etc early (0600!!!!) tomorrow, all very peaceful and lovely. Just wondered if anyone had any opinions re stopping on the pontoons at Gainsborough, they look inviting, but we have never stopped there. 

I think there has on occasion been a bit of trouble from the locals, but that can happen anywhere and may be historical. The main consideration would be the phase of the tide. With big springs you will get an aegir (bore) which might damage a boat, its contents, or its attachments to the bank. The aegir is of course at its worst in the shallow waters at the sides of the river.

Edited by nicknorman

4 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

There's a similar video of a narrowboat on that pontoon. The skipper was standing on the pontoon and only realised what was happening a few seconds beforehand. Not the most exciting town.

I've stopped to have a look around (and because I was a bit early for West Stockwith), and you're right.  I thought of Gainsborough, famous artist, but the town is the pits, except for the Old Hall, which is interesting.

• 4 years later...

We stopped overnight on the pontoon for first time travelling back home from Torksey as a stepping stone to catch the full effect of the next tide to get up to Trent falls. There is a good café called 'Reeds' just at the top of the pontoon walkway. We got a hot sandwich to take out there and they filled out drinking water container for us in the morning. The lock is missing at the moment and gate was left open with an array of peoples personal padlocks fastened to railings.

There were some kids chatting there at the gate till early hours but no problem, not even any rubbish left behind. 

• Greenie 1