Jump to content

HS2 canal crossing points


Peter-Bullfinch
 Share

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

Looks fantastic in the mock-ups, but like all concrete structures in the damp UK, it will soon be green, stained and damp looking. Pale concrete surfaces work great in southern California, but it rains too much in Britain.

 

MP.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, rasputin said:

The trains that run past my house are from the 1960s, I recon they are about 50 years old 

Unless you live on the Isle of Wight, where local conditions dictate the use of old London Underground coaches, the oldest trains in regular use in the UK date from 1976.

George

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Unless you live on the Isle of Wight, where local conditions dictate the use of old London Underground coaches, the oldest trains in regular use in the UK date from 1976.

George

I believe they are class 37s running from Lancaster to Carlisle up through barrow, vv noisy and churn out lots of black smoke, should be in a museum 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, rasputin said:

I believe they are class 37s running from Lancaster to Carlisle up through barrow, vv noisy and churn out lots of black smoke, should be in a museum 

Fair enough!  I was thinking of the passengers rather than the loco pulling them.

You will be pleased to know that even now, the drivers are being trained on virtually brand new class 68 locos to replace the 37s.

Maryport to Carlisle does have a problem, like the Isle of Wight, in that the restricted loading gauge means many newer types of trains can't physically fit.

George

Edited by furnessvale
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Fair enough!  I was thinking of the passengers rather than the loco pulling them.

You will be pleased to know that even now, the drivers are being trained on virtually brand new class 68 locos to replace the 37s.

Maryport to Carlisle does have a problem, like the Isle of Wight, in that the restricted loading gauge means many newer types of trains can't physically fit.

George

I'm reasonably sure that the carriages come from the same era .

No not happy at all the 68s are already pulling the nuclear fuel trains, but the 37s will be pulling the passengers for a couple of years yet, sadly

Edited by rasputin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, rasputin said:

I'm reasonably sure that the carriages come from the same era .

No not happy at all the 68s are already pulling the nuclear fuel trains, but the 37s will be pulling the passengers for a couple of years yet, sadly

The coaches date from 1969-75, but being Mk 2s they belie their age and are at least as good as many more modern units.

I believe the move to 68s for passenger jobs is imminent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2018 at 12:49, rasputin said:

I'm reasonably sure that the carriages come from the same era .

No not happy at all the 68s are already pulling the nuclear fuel trains, but the 37s will be pulling the passengers for a couple of years yet, sadly

Just to confirm, first passenger trains hauled by 68s start 5th Feb.  One diagram initially, so you will still see 37s on other diagrams until full changeover in a few weeks.

George

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/01/2018 at 13:25, furnessvale said:

The coaches date from 1969-75, but being Mk 2s they belie their age and are at least as good as many more modern units.

I believe the move to 68s for passenger jobs is imminent.

I had an excellent run around the coast last November - Northern had an offer of an all day ticket on their trains for £10 - and we decided to stay on the loco hauled stock because of the comfort, rather than stop for an hour at Whitehaven.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Just to confirm, first passenger trains hauled by 68s start 5th Feb.  One diagram initially, so you will still see 37s on other diagrams until full changeover in a few weeks.

George

I really hope your information is correct and they start with the early morning train

5 hours ago, Pluto said:

I had an excellent run around the coast last November - Northern had an offer of an all day ticket on their trains for £10 - and we decided to stay on the loco hauled stock because of the comfort, rather than stop for an hour at Whitehaven.

sounds like a great offer, where did you hear about it?  Whitehavens not that bad...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2018 at 11:24, rasputin said:

I believe they are class 37s running from Lancaster to Carlisle up through barrow, vv noisy and churn out lots of black smoke, should be in a museum 

These "Tractors" (running Preston – Barrow in Furness) really do make a beautiful sound though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, rasputin said:

not at 06.45 150 yards from your bed...

On the contrary!

We get them going by on the West Highland Line heading engineer's trains from time to time. About 50yds from my mooring and enough to get me up to enjoy the aural excellence whatever the time of day or night!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/01/2018 at 17:11, Up-Side-Down said:

On the contrary!

We get them going by on the West Highland Line heading engineer's trains from time to time. About 50yds from my mooring and enough to get me up to enjoy the aural excellence whatever the time of day or night!!

Every day except Sunday 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, MJG said:

Interesting Panorama program last night exposing the woefully inadequate HS2 costing process and shabby treatment of affected businesses. 

It was indeed. Many people swept aside from the route of the Great White Elephant have just cause to be angry. For once the Beeb could be accused of bias, but as that bias was against HS Bloomin' 2 I'll let them off.

Edited by Athy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.