HS2 canal crossing points

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

Cant see what the problem is. When Corben gets in power HS2 will go the same way as the TSR2.

I would rather the horrorendous thought of Corbyn getting in to power if it meant stopping the ridiculous HS2!!

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I would rather the horrorendous thought of Corbyn getting in to power if it meant stopping the ridiculous HS2!!

The thing they somehow fail to mention about HS2 is that it's not really as simple as being about a stupid vanity project to knock minutes off a journey to/from London, but rather there's a major capacity issue. Whist your building an extra railway line, it might as well be a modern, fast one.  Doesn't mean you have to like it though Tim! :)

• Greenie 3

40 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

The thing they somehow fail to mention about HS2 is that it's not really as simple as being about a stupid vanity project to knock minutes off a journey to/from London, but rather there's a major capacity issue. Whist your building an extra railway line, it might as well be a modern, fast one.  Doesn't mean you have to like it though Tim! :)

What annoys me is that the people who think they need to knock twenty minutes off a journey in this day and age can do their work online in a different country now for the most of it. We dont need another poxy railway line. We need more road capacity or how else are we going to reach the co2 emissions target to raise the worlds temperature by the required date ?

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What annoys me is that the people who think they need to knock twenty minutes off a journey in this day and age can do their work online in a different country now for the most of it. We dont need another poxy railway line. We need more road capacity or how else are we going to reach the co2 emissions target to raise the worlds temperature by the required date ?

Less use of transport generally would be a much easier, healthier and more beneficial solution.

On 19/07/2017 at 17:50, dor said:

HS2 is going to be 30 years or more before it gets to Manchester.  Do you really think that people will still be commuting to an office in a city to the same extent that they do now?  We do desperately need more freight on the railways, but that needs a government that is prepared to make it financially viable, rather than carry on with the huge subsidies that road haulage gets.  Yes there will still be a "rush hour", but outside of that the freight could easily be moved, either during the day or at night.   I quite often travel from Crewe to Euston to link up with Eurostar (from St Pancras - why do we have to we still have to drag our cases half a mile up Euston Road?) and the trains are generally half empty, or less.   OK so some improvements will be needed to some of our main lines, but that would be a fraction of the cost of HS2.

Didn't  Chris Grayling state a few weeks ago that HS2 won't go past Birmingham ? 

1 minute ago, Pluto said:

Less use of transport generally would be a much easier, healthier and more beneficial solution.

Crick/Rugby DIRFT (Daventry International Rail Freight Terminal) which is 9 miles from Daventry but 1 mile from Crick and 5 from Rugby) has approximately 500 outgoing HGV, 200 x 7.5 or 3.5t trucks and numerous courier style transits every day exiting its depots. Delivering are approx 2-300 trucks a day - in addition to the many containers delivered via rail.

Allied to this are the thousands of cars and buses to transport the workers to site for 2 or 3 shifts a day(24 hours) depending on how ruthless the agencies are.

There are many more(Gailey, Stafford and many more planned), one more enormous one to come is based South of Blisworth which will wreck the countryside).

The country is overpopulated, overmanaged and struggling to breathe. 

13 minutes ago, johnmoly said:

Didn't  Chris Grayling state a few weeks ago that HS2 won't go past Birmingham ? 

He doesn't know what he is saying most of the time.

• Greenie 2

When HS2 was first announced, the counter to cost objections was that we could afford it as the £2 billion being spent on Crossrail could then transfer to HS2 as Crossrail will be completed.

Putting aside the tens of billions being blown on B***** that the country is having to find, look at where we are with Crossrail!

3 hours ago, johnmoly said:

Phase 1 is already due to go north of Birmingham to connect to the West Coast main line hence the need for the two crossings of the Trent and Mersey near Fradley!

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I too thought it was a capacity issue. Only the opponents of it focus of getting there quicker. 

The twaddle about working on line instead of travelling is just that. Twaddle. How can one visit an exhibition to see, touch and feel new products in ones field for example, on line and £1m deals struck without meeting the other party? Answer? It doesn't. How can 10,000 tonnes of freight be moved to Brum on line? Or from Brum to London? How do you visit your sick mother in hospital in London when you live in Brum, on line? The examples of real life demad for travel are easy to imagine, if you have any imagination that is.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I too thought it was a capacity issue. Only the opponents of it focus of getting there quicker. 

The twaddle about working on line instead of travelling is just that. Twaddle. How can one visit an exhibition to see, touch and feel new products in ones field for example, on line and £1m deals struck without meeting the other party? Answer? It doesn't. How can 10,000 tonnes of freight be moved to Brum on line? Or from Brum to London? How do you visit your sick mother in hospital in London when you live in Brum, on line? The examples of real life demad for travel are easy to imagine, if you have any imagination that is.

It's not twaddle. I was doing it years ago before I retired. Yes there are some things that need face to face or direct contact, like fixing a leaky tap. But lots of stuff can be done over the internet or via. a group conference call.

3 minutes ago, MJG said:

It's not twaddle. I was doing it years ago before I retired. Yes there are some things that need face to face or direct contact, like fixing a leaky tap. But lots of stuff can be done over the internet or via. a group conference call.

Twaddle.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Twaddle.

Care to expand Michael? As I said I was actually doing it before 2011. Are you saying I am making it up or lying?

The facts are that the potential for remote working, conference calling and internet networking haven't yet been fully exploited and expanded. We should be doing that.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

Care to expand Michael? As I said I was actually doing it before 2011. Are you saying I am making it up or lying?

The facts are that the potential for remote working, conference calling and internet networking haven't yet been fully exploited and expanded. We should be doing that.

GFY.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

It's a complex and intellectually difficult issue requiring careful analysis.

But on balance..... it's twaddle.

• Haha 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

GFY.

Nice.....

1 minute ago, frahkn said:

It's a complex and intellectually difficult issue requiring careful analysis.

But on balance..... it's twaddle.

It's only twaddle if you have no idea about how it can work or if you have never actually done it I guess.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Just googled it. Oh I see what you mean.

Oh you utter SNOWFLAKE! Report me and get it taken down then. 

I can see why you couldn't hack it on Thunderbox. :giggles:

Micheal, I still post on thunderboat, but I note you dare not venture there.

More hypocrisy from you.

3 minutes ago, MJG said:

Micheal, I still post on thunderboat, but I note you dare not venture there.

More hypocrisy from you.

Jolly good, keep it up. Your personality is better suited to TB than here. 

I know I'm a hypocrite, you tell me most days! ? 

We all are in one way or another. 

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I know I'm a hypocrite, you tell me most days! ?

Well you frequently call others for doing exactly what you do yourself, so glad you finally agree.

Edited by MJG