Do Sterling Inverters eat toothbrushes?

john4647

Featured Posts

About 3 years ago we went on a an extended (7 week) cruise to London and back from Worsley. After the first two weeks my Braun electric toothbrush needed charging. Iy has a wireless charger system. However this did not work with my Sterling inverter. After returning home my Braun would not recharge from the mains. Not questioning the reason, I decided that it was just worn out and I bought a new one.

Recently we have been out for a 5 week trip and again I tried to charge my Braun toothbrush on the boat. It would not charge. Just returned home to find that the same scenario has been repeated, It will not charge from the mains.

I can only assume that the Inverter has destroyed the wireless charger or the toothbrush or both, or is it just a coincidence?

If it is a modified-sine-wave inverter, it's quite likely that the charger has been damaged.  The toothbrush itself might be ok.  Or the other way round! :)  Thanks for the post - I'll not charge my brush on the boat unless on shore power.

And I thought SWMBO was lazy - she has a CPAP machine at night to save her having to make any effort to breathe - electric toothbrush - whatever next.

But - yes there have been a number of reports of electric toothbrushes being damaged by the use of inverters. - why not save the electricity and get the additional exercise by using a good old 'manual' toothbrush.

Just remember to 'change hands at 99'.

After killing 2 electric toothbrushes through our Sterling 1800 msw inverter I bought the Philips Sonicare diamond, has a 12v & USB  charger, not cheap but neither is gum disease ! 

Eta

I found that despite my best efforts a manual toothbrush did not keep gum disease at bay & lost several teeth so after having an expensive bridge made now use electric- no more problems - so not just laziness...

Edited by Jamboat

2 hours ago, Troyboy said:

Get yourself down to Lidls they have 3 Professional Toothbrushes on sale this week for £1-25 . No batteries involved although the term 'Professional ' baffles me somewhat .

it does imply that there are people who make a living being paid to brush their teeth. I have seen a pogo stick with "professional" written on it!

51 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

I have seen a pogo stick with "professional" written on it!

You don't meet many professionals because that business is a bit up and down at the moment.

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Short answer to the thread title is "Yes, but not just Sterling; any MSW inverter will kill them."

Is it a coincidence that so many inverter issue threads start with "My Sterling..."? Just asking like. ;)

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Is it a coincidence that so many inverter issue threads start with "My Sterling..."? Just asking like.

My Braun toothbrush charges just fine from my Mastervolt PSW inverter, presumably it's the waveform rather than the manufacturer that does the damage?

39 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Is it a coincidence that so many inverter issue threads start with "My Sterling..."? Just asking like. ;)

It's because our Charles markets his stuff rather well - and it's comparatively cheap, so therefore ubiquitous. 

I reported on here some years ago about how my Braun toothbrush was destroyed by a Sterling MSW inverter.  I spoke to Mr Sterling about it and he said "well yes it would".

Since then I have put in a shaver socket run off my PSW inverter with no problems.

13 minutes ago, dor said:

I reported on here some years ago about how my Braun toothbrush was destroyed by a Sterling MSW inverter.  I spoke to Mr Sterling about it and he said "well yes it would".

Since then I have put in a shaver socket run off my PSW inverter with no problems.

Now I know you are fibbing - you now shave your teeth - C'mon - its not 1st April yet.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Now I know you are fibbing - you now shave your teeth - C'mon - its not 1st April yet.

Well I have to get them really clean - my son is a dentist...

9 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

My Braun toothbrush charges just fine from my Mastervolt PSW inverter, presumably it's the waveform rather than the manufacturer that does the damage?

So does mine

8 hours ago, dor said:

Did he hang up after those 4 words ?