Aylesbury and wendover arms

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Tawny75 said:

You are a couple of miles across town from me.  I hope you enjoy our town :)  Consider yourself waved at :)

Thanks.

58 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Heard you come in a Geoff dropped the bridge.  Consider yourself waved at from 2 stagings across towards the flats!

N

Thank you too..

56 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Are you in our mooring ? (Outside the wet dock)

Tim

Moored on end of pontoon centre of Marina, opposite entrance. It's a very friendly place. Spoken to several people and had a lovely chat and a cuppa with a lovely chap  on his boat. 

1 hour ago, ianali said:

Moored on end of pontoon centre of Marina, opposite entrance. It's a very friendly place. Spoken to several people and had a lovely chat and a cuppa with a lovely chap  on his boat. 

Aerial View

Tim

107 Circus Fileds Marina 26th Nov 2016.JPG

• 6 months later...

I'm considering going on the Aylesbury and Wendover arms in June and came across this thread in my research. I see there can be issues with water depth especially on the Wendover. My boat only draws 2 ft so hopefully it won't be too bad, but my question is are there a reasonable amount of places on both canals where we could get the boat within 6 inches of the bank for overnight mooring?

The reason I ask is because we have a 30 kg dog who is old and can no longer walk the gangplank. 

Visited both of these last summer. Wendover arm was gorgeous. Plenty of good mooring at the bottom. We didn't fling it shallow. We draw 22 inches.Nothing down there but really worth a visit for a night or two of peace. The Aylesbury was rather shallow in places, one of the pounds in particular. We just battled on and were glad we did. Moored in the Aylesbury society marina. Was free last summer and just left a donation. The people there were just brilliant. Had a few drinks with them, think bar was only a Friday night thing? Spent a couple of hours with a chap on his boat drinking tea and had a very interesting chat. Very worth the challenge of getting down there. Walked into the town which has some nice parts. If your passing these arms then I go down them.

Ian.

18 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Silly question I know but how do the boats on the pontoons where there is a boat in the middle get out?

Those boats are only short term moored boats, most of the time there is an 8ft gap between the boats......still a reversing challenge if it's windy !☺

On 2/11/2018 at 16:31, Grassman said:

I'm considering going on the Aylesbury and Wendover arms in June and came across this thread in my research. I see there can be issues with water depth especially on the Wendover. My boat only draws 2 ft so hopefully it won't be too bad, but my question is are there a reasonable amount of places on both canals where we could get the boat within 6 inches of the bank for overnight mooring?

The reason I ask is because we have a 30 kg dog who is old and can no longer walk the gangplank. 

Have taken Fulbourne and Belfast to Aylesbury, both 70 footers drawing 3 ft, so at 22" you should be fine. You won't be able to get into the bank everywhere, but there are deep enough moorings with a decent edge at Wilstone and Aylesbury Basin, as well as the ACS moorings at Circus Field (a mile up from the town basin).

The Wendover arm is passable at 3 ft draft, but a bit sticky in places. We just turned round at the end, so I can't say how good the moorings are, but I have seen other boats moored to the bank OK.

The view is superb almost all the way down to Aylesbury, and it is free of major roads and railways. The depth at Wilstone is reasonable, and apart from the half moon pub there is a farm shop nearby and a post office.

I found the town a little disappointing, mainly because of bad decisions on behalf of the town planners. There are a couple of lovely old pubs that have all but disappeared behind hideous modern construction, the lantern being one and the kings head another. 

Good places to get into the bank on the Aylesbury Arm are:

Below Lock 4

Wilstone-  pub, shop?

Above Lock 12 or 13   Pubs in Aston Clinton but a 20-30 min walk.

Between bridges 12 and 13 (on the plastic piling where it is is visible).

Above Lock 14- pub not too far across the tail bridge

Circus Field basin- see the Welcome Boat on arrival

Above Lock 15,

Above Lock 16 at Tesco's

In the town basin.

We have had 2'6" alongside at all these places so at normal water levels 22" should be fine.

N

And no one has mentioned that there is a great swimming pool and Tesco within a stone's throw of the canal.  At the terminus  there is a Waitrose.  St Mary's Church, in the Old Town is lovely.  The theatre, also at the terminus, has good shows, with a lovely statue of Ronnie Barker.  Opposite the theatre is a very handy Weatherspoons.  Yes the Planners have had some dreadful ideas in the past, but they are trying to improve things now.   Overall the town is well worth a visit, and it is a change to work narrow locks when you have been on the wide locks.  The only thing which stands out as incongruous in the landscape is the Arla dairy, oh and the Council offices in the town itself.  Good train connections.   

7 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

And no one has mentioned that there is a great swimming pool and Tesco within a stone's throw of the canal.  At the terminus  there is a Waitrose.  St Mary's Church, in the Old Town is lovely.  The theatre, also at the terminus, has good shows, with a lovely statue of Ronnie Barker.  Opposite the theatre is a very handy Weatherspoons.  Yes the Planners have had some dreadful ideas in the past, but they are trying to improve things now.   Overall the town is well worth a visit, and it is a change to work narrow locks when you have been on the wide locks.  The only thing which stands out as incongruous in the landscape is the Arla dairy, oh and the Council offices in the town itself.  Good train connections.   

The Wetherspoons in the Market Square (The Bell) is nicer :-)

Tim