Moving the Galley

Maverick

Featured Posts

Im in the process of moving the galley and need to extend my hot and cold water pipes from the calorifier to the taps by about 20 foot each.

Looking for the cheapest way of doing it I notice B&Q are selling some yellow garden hose. Would this be strong enough to take any pressure the hot water may create?

Im in the process of moving the galley and need to extend my hot and cold water pipes from the calorifier to the taps by about 20 foot each.

Looking for the cheapest way of doing it I notice B&Q are selling some yellow garden hose. Would this be strong enough to take any pressure the hot water may create?

I would say you would be better staying with whatever system is currently used on the boat. Personally I like the 'high pressure hose' method but that's just me.

Wouldn't have though the right stuff was that expensive: saw some 3m lengths in Wickes the other day.

What is the right stuff? Looked at the push fit piping in in B&Q and when you add up the joints to go with it it can get quite pricey

I would say you would be better staying with whatever system is currently used on the boat. Personally I like the 'high pressure hose' method but that's just me.

It currently has blue and red rubber hoses but I'm unsure wether they are the same stuff as garden hose is made from but in fancy colors, or wether they are made to withstand higher pressures.

I agree, if you're doing all that work, I think it would be sensible to replace the lot with nice, modern push fit plumbing rather than mess about with *&^%$ jubilee clips. My boat has had numerous and spectacular plumbing failures because the previous owner had failed to do the job properly in the first place. The finest example of his craftsmanship was fixing the basin taps on with masking tape. B)

You posted at the same time as me! Push fit is much better, and you'll only have to do it once.

What is the right stuff? Looked at the push fit piping in in B&Q and when you add up the joints to go with it it can get quite pricey

It currently has blue and red rubber hoses but I'm unsure wether they are the same stuff as garden hose is made from but in fancy colors, or wether they are made to withstand higher pressures.

Rubber hoses, that sounds like the stuff you would use to plumb your washing machine, if it is rated for water systems and you are happy to use jubilee clips and 'T' connectors (as I am) I am sure it would be OK. The red/blue will indicate the temperatures so that will be OK too.

Garden hose is different thing, pretty rubbish stuff really I wouldn't bother with that.

Avoid B&Q for the push fit stuff, its too expensive from there, have a look at screwfix or toolstation web sites - about 25% of the cost !

www.screwfix.co.uk

www.toolstation.co.uk

Avoid B&Q for the push fit stuff, its too expensive from there, have a look at screwfix or toolstation web sites - about 25% of the cost !

www.screwfix.co.uk

www.toolstation.co.uk

Thanks Stuart, visited the Toolstation website and can see what it is I need now. B)

That isn't the issue.

Use garden hose, which will NOT be food grade, and your water will taste of plastic for ever more.

www.screwfix.co.uk

www.toolstation.co.uk

Slightly off topic but interesting nonetheless.

I went to my local B&Q warehouse the other day and noticed a guy buying a plastic soil pipe fitting priced at £15, I pointed out to him I had bought the same thing for £7 from Screwfix (trade counter) a few days earlier. Given that said trade counter is only about half a mile away it would be worth him going there. He grinned, then suggested I read the sign at the (trade) entrance. This reads(or words to the effect) Trade customers, price match quarantee, find it cheaper locally, from a reputable source, and we will match the price He then said you just need to have a Screwfix book with you and be trade, they can't say its not a reputable source because they are both owned by the Kingfisher.

Look at the car park of B&Q and its full of big company vans, they are obviously not paying those high prices.

B)

Which is why I will never understand why so many of my neighbours use garden hoses to fill up.

"Your water will taste of plastic for ever more".

I don't think it does in practise, maybe the first time you use it but but they are OK after that. Food quality plastics as used in industry are more a question of whether any of the ingedients will poison anyone rather than giving a slight taste.