Travelpower can someone explain?

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Bolt on kits for beta engines 42hp and above and Isuzu are available. Other makes I don't know but you would probably have to have bespoke brackets made up. I think its cheaper to have installed on  a new build and about 3.5 k to purchase the stuff and have retro fitted as it were. We arte talking BOATS so of course its a drop in the ocean and just one of the many reasons why it costs more to live on a boat than in a house.

We were given a 'guide' estimate of £3500-£4000 before they decided the engines were not big enough to 'support' the TP

Its almost getting into the price range of having a PROPER diesel marine generator fitted.

27 minutes ago, Robbo said:

If it’s around £3.5k to purchase then thats roughly the cost of a built in generator like a Panda 4000.

You are quite right but the is one HUMUNGOUS difference. With stand alone diesel gennies you have two lots of diesel to pay for when the engine and gennie are running whereas the beauty of the TP is the fact it runs off the main engine and barely adds to fuel useage and takes very little space up.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You are quite right but the is one HUMUNGOUS difference. With stand alone diesel gennies you have two lots of diesel to pay for when the engine and gennie are running whereas the beauty of the TP is the fact it runs off the main engine and barely adds to fuel useage and takes very little space up.

The one thing that the TP wins hands down on is it's integration with the boat.

It take very little space up.....and is dead easy to use....

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When we looked its round £4000+ for the generator, + around £1000 for the installation kit + labour + boat out of the water (lift out / in)

If you have the space, the extra £1.5k ish IMHO is worth it for having a separate genny, especially if you have a rather large main engine.  

I have a built in genny and for a liveaboard I wouldn’t want to do without.  However I have a large main engine so that prob why I prefer a separate dedicated device.

2 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

The one thing that the TP wins hands down on is it's integration with the boat.

It take very little space up.....and is dead easy to use....

" Integration with the boat " :) I like that..................sounds proper..................

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

When i’m moving the boat my alternator creates enough to charge the batteries so I wouldn’t need to run a genny as well.  With the genny it’s a lot quieter than the main engine (it’s hardly noticeable!).  We also go on about to new boaters to have two methods of major things like heating.  To me having power is the main major thing, and having two sources (in winter) is worth the extra.

• Greenie 1

On 16/07/2017 at 11:14, mrsmelly said:

That's only half true. You have to pay extra for the extra fuel used to generate the leccy regardless of which engine is burning it. There is a slight saving on friction overheads if you are cruising at the same time as you are needing the 240v and would otherwise be using the genny.

A big plus with the separate built in genny is when one engine busts itself the other remains available for use. With the TP you are stuffed when your engine develops a fault. But I can lend you my spare genny if it helps :D

Cost for fitting the cheapest Panda on the market was hard to get under £7k all-in when I investigated last year. 

Another good solution is a Whispergen but they are rare as rocking horse sh1t. 

7k......wow thats a chunk of change.......a standalone is alot cheaper but comes with fuel storage issues.......thinking its worth it to save 5k tho.......and if it breaks you can take it for repair with no additional costs........ 

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I made a DC Generator for the Sole purpose of Battery charging,the base Engine is a water Cooled Farymann Diesel which has a mighty 300 CC capacity,it uses a Mug full of Fuel every hour and has a 20-60 % load.

Smooth and Quiet, it uses less Fuel than the 2.5 Litre propulsion Engine,total cost £250 including Lucas A127 type Alternator

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's only half true. You have to pay extra for the extra fuel used to generate the leccy regardless of which engine is burning it. There is a slight saving on friction overheads if you are cruising at the same time as you are needing the 240v and would otherwise be using the genny.

A big plus with the separate built in genny is when one engine busts itself the other remains available for use. With the TP you are stuffed when your engine develops a fault. But I can lend you my spare genny if it helps :D

Cost for fitting the cheapest Panda on the market was hard to get under £7k all-in when I investigated last year. 

Yes its horses for courses. Its true that a TP is a much cheaper alternative than a separate gennie and probably produces less leccy and it takes much less space up and cost less to run and charges batteries without taking any power from alternators whilst running washing machine and moving at same time :) of course if peeps want a separate genie to service and burn fuel in and pay an extra several grand for then its their choice but being a Yorkshireman I aint paying all that out :D

Another option is to get a good little petrol genny like the Honda and convert it to work off gas. I think this works out a bit cheaper than petrol but not sure of that, but it does mean that you don't need to keep petrol on the boat. Various fuel boats will deliver gas right to your boat.

................Dave

4 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

I made a DC Generator for the Sole purpose of Battery charging,the base Engine is a water Cooled Farymann Diesel which has a mighty 300 CC capacity,it uses a Mug full of Fuel every hour and has a 20-60 % load.

Smooth and Quiet, it uses less Fuel than the 2.5 Litre propulsion Engine,total cost £250 including Lucas A127 type Alternator

That's cos you are even tighter than me :D

On 16/07/2017 at 11:36, cereal tiller said:

This is what I was planning do do when the Whispergen appeared on ebay!

(I wasn't expecting the Farymann to be quiet though.)

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It spins at 12-1500 RPM and is sound proofed,is built into the Engine Room and very easy to access,Water cooled Exhaust and Electric start.

Continuous 75 AMPS. when required.

CT

On 16/07/2017 at 12:06, cereal tiller said:

It spins at 12-1500 RPM and is sound proofed,is built into the Engine Room and very easy to access,Water cooled Exhaust and Electric start.

Continuous 75 AMPS. when required.

CT

Excellent.My Whispergen was far more expensive than your Farymann though. It was £500!

INSANELY heavy too. 100kg!

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Have you got that Whispergen up and running yet?

........Dave

On 16/07/2017 at 12:12, dmr said:

Have you got that Whispergen up and running yet?

........Dave

Nope. Well on the way now though. A remarkable amount of work necessary to connect it up. All the electrics are done now, as is the exhaust. Still need to arrange the condensate drain and the heating water circuit. I've had a header tank made and got the pump. Bought a 12v by mistake so had to install a separate power supply for it and a relay to switch it.

I'm just installing the fresh flushing water supply to in now. Fortunately I found a redundant cold water supply to (presumably) a basin in the back cabin, long removed. Skin fitting 3" above waterline for the waste found uncapped and hidden behind panelling, JEEZ!!!!

Clearly been shipping the odd splash of water too, looking at the marking on the wood batten under it.

Image5.jpg