Boat veering to starboard

Stedman II

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

(snip)

When I undertook my MCA Boatmasters licence practical test, the examiner required me to demonstrate steering the boat using prop walk only, not for any distance, only to get the boat into the bank.

That could be fun : I usually find prop walk has far less effect than the bank, shallow water, wind and everything else that tries to stop a boat going in a straight line !

:unsure::huh::unsure::cheers:

4 hours ago, zenataomm said:

An old boatman taught me to accelerate into bridge holes and as the engine 'ole bulkhead approaches throttle right back and disengage drive.

Your wash overtakes you and then being funnelled into the narrows it lifts the blades over any rubbish and you drift through,  should you still bottom out on dumped treasure then your butty gives you a smart shove up the proverbial and pushes you through.

I still do it now as my current boat draws nearly 3 feet at the rudder and 2 feet at the stem. No butty now but I often wobble through.

Yes, this seems to be the way that is least likely to end in tears, in my experience.

I try to only use reverse to make sure the blades are clear only at the places I'm not likely to foul the prop by trying.

• Greenie 1