Whether the weather....

Featured Posts

Hi all....

I have finally had a little time and battery power to do something on here...

Here near Chester the weather lately has been confusing a bit!

How is it that the sun is out, the sky is clear for miles (well, except for the vapour trails of aircraft!) and shade is very welcome for days on end, then the day you want to move the boat the heavens let go!

So....you look at the grey sky, and the Captain says "this is in for the day, we won't go out today...".

Then the rain stops, the sun breaks through, and the rest of the day is OK, with the evening even better....

But, the Captain has made up his mind! So no movement today!

All the best....

Wrexham Lass

Edited by wrexham lass

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Tis cos you be near Wales:)

Probably not far from the real reason.  There is a stretch of country along the Welsh boarder known as the Cheshire Gap which is very susceptible to prolonged showery activity especially with a northwesterly wind.   

16 minutes ago, JJPHG said:

Probably not far from the real reason.  There is a stretch of country along the Welsh boarder known as the Cheshire Gap which is very susceptible to prolonged showery activity especially with a northwesterly wind.   

Is it the British version of the Cumberland gap? 

57 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Is it the British version of the Cumberland gap? 

Do you mean the American Cumberland Gap - in which case shouldn't it be is the Cumberland Gap the American version of the Cheshire Gap?  Either way - I've no idea.  The Cheshire Gap is what it was called when I worked at Manchester Airport Met Office (in the days before the weather centre opened in Stockport).  I've no idea if that's what the locals call it or just what us meteorologists called it.

Hi,

Interesting weather information!

Wet Wales...well, a green and pleasant land don't get green without the precipitation!

One of my favourite phrases from the Weather Reports From Coastal Stations on the Shipping Forecast is, "Precipitation within sight"....or "we can see its raining over there!".

There was also, a while ago, on the South Coast, London Falmet Main (I think it was called). Weather reports from Airports on the radio. There were a couple of ststions I seem to remember, so the whole UK was covered.

You could hear what the weather was, and wind direction, North to South, and work out pretty well what weather was coming South!

What we could do with, I suppose, is a cover over the back deck, so the Captain can steer in the rain?

High barometric pressure usually means "good" weather, but just how high can it go?

If "normal" atmosperic presure is 15PSI (well it is actually 15 point something PSI...) which is, in new fangled Metric, 1 Bar....how high can it go?

Also, how low?

Anyhow, the boat has moved.....to Chester, and back to where we started from! Wednesday turned out nice....

But at least the water tank is now full again, and the food stores have been replenished.

The cabin has been cleaned out again....now we can have the doors all open, so the mopped floors can dry out.

Washing done, and drying well in the warm breeze.

Even the ship's dog is happier, lazing on the warm deck! (Woof!)

All is well with the world?

Well, it would be.....but the Captain is hatching a plan!

He likes bigger boats!

Photo0370.jpg.74e6638f1d9fccc3730b5a9a55b3472e.jpg

All the best,

Wrexham Lass....

Edited by wrexham lass

On 10/07/2017 at 19:35, wrexham lass said:

But, the Captain has made up his mind! So no movement today!

This type of behaviour has always intrigued me.

Politicians, the media etc seem to regard changing one's mind as demonstrating weakness. Flip-flopping.

I regard it as a open-mindedness. A willingness to change one's mind on a sixpence, especially when facts or circumstances change (e.g. the weather) seems like a Good Thing to me. 

I think your captain should be sent for re-training!

40 minutes ago, wrexham lass said:

What we could do with, I suppose, is a cover over the back deck, so the Captain can steer in the rain?

No, that's what HE could do with. You, on the other hand, can stay perfectly warm and dry, feet up, enjoying a G&T, whether he has a cover or not. Tea and (feigned) sympathy for the wet steerer at roughly one hour intervals will salve your conscience should you need it.

40 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This type of behaviour has always intrigued me.

Politicians, the media etc seem to regard changing one's mind as demonstrating weakness. Flip-flopping.

I regard it as a open-mindedness. A willingness to change one's mind on a sixpence, especially when facts or circumstances change (e.g. the weather) seems like a Good Thing to me. 

I think your captain should be sent for re-training!

I can only agree...

Some people look at the weather first thing in the morning, and say, "We won't go out today"....they never seem to think "what if it changes"!

Then within an hour, the weather changes.....perfectly good now to do whatever needed doing....but will they contact you and see if it is still OK to come out?

No!

The Captain is not keen on re-training.....he is just about House Trained now.....like the Ship's Dog!

WL...

38 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

No, that's what HE could do with. You, on the other hand, can stay perfectly warm and dry, feet up, enjoying a G&T, whether he has a cover or not. Tea and (feigned) sympathy for the wet steerer at roughly one hour intervals will salve your conscience should you need it.

Welll...I do get to steer sometimes.

Tea & Sympathy does work quite well....but normally we don't move in the wet, so the Captain stays dry most of the time! (Except if he has to take the Ship's Dog out for a walk....if I don't do it! ;)

A cover would also keep the rain out of the cabin when the doors are open.....which would help in Hot and Wet Weather!

But it seems that getting a cover made isn't that easy! ;)

All the Best,

Wrexham Lass

49 minutes ago, wrexham lass said:

High barometric pressure usually means "good" weather, but just how high can it go?

If "normal" atmosperic presure is 15PSI (well it is actually 15 point something PSI...) which is, in new fangled Metric, 1 Bar....how high can it go?

Also, how low?

Generally speaking in the UK it will range between about 940 and 1040HPa (or Mb when I started working).  It can go lower or higher but you won't see it very often.  Globally, without looking it up I would guess 1070 HPa is probably around the highest (I have seen 1058 over Siberia) but the lowest is a bit more complicated.  On a mesoscale hurricanes often go below 900 HPa but on a microscale tornado's can probably hit 850 HPa.

I didn't realise what proper rain was (even the Yorkshire variety) til we move to the tropics (and now sub-tropics).  Its not considered a wet day here unless we have between 50 and 100 mm in a day (2 to 4 inches in old money).  In the 11 years we have been on this side of the world I've experienced 300 mm (twice), 800 mm and just over 1000 mm in one day.  Even with a cover you would struggle to steer in that. 

G'day there...

Thanks for the information.

Yes, tropical rain even makes Welsh rain seem like a dry day in comparison!

The other problem with a cover....wind. The wetaher kind that is! ;)

The Captain is of the opinion that wind is the most destructive natiral force....

Hmm - difficult one.  We don't get much wind on the whole here (one thing I miss) except in tropical cyclones (hurricanes).  I was lucky enough to be in the path of Yasi a few years back and yes we lost quite a few trees, and there was widespread damage, but rain/flood can be pretty impressive (destructive wise) as well.  This is one of our local roads after Debbie went through this March.

Image result for springbrook road debbie

• 2 weeks later...