Water pump draw?

Sweeny Todd

Featured Posts

Looking at getting a new waterpump for freshwater soon and as we have been happy with the Whale Universal pump on the last boat, we were thinking of going the same route again. Having looked online at specs I am struggling to find out what the electric draw is on them when they are 'active'. Anyone know where I can find this info or suggestions for other pumps that are not too power hungry? 

6 minutes ago, Sweeny Todd said:

thanks Dor

...Alan, not sure the Mrs will go for that one. She's been waiting 18 months for running water on this boat  <_<

Its a 'hard-sell' for sure.

We have both an electric and the 'foot' pump (the foot pump T's off in the galley before the electric pump and runs to a separate tap) so when sailing we save as much electrickery as possible for instruments, when the engines are running you can have a 'power shower'.

26 minutes ago, mross said:

It's better to consider energy used, rather than power.  Amp-hours or, even better, watt-hours are what you pay for and what you have to put back into your battery.

But it is the maximum current you need to know in order to determine cable size.  Water pumps are often fed by undersized cables as people don't appreciate how much current they draw.

2 hours ago, Sweeny Todd said:

Looking at getting a new waterpump for freshwater soon and as we have been happy with the Whale Universal pump on the last boat, we were thinking of going the same route again. Having looked online at specs I am struggling to find out what the electric draw is on them when they are 'active'. Anyone know where I can find this info or suggestions for other pumps that are not too power hungry? 

can you give a model number?  Are you interested in energy conservation or cable size?  See above.

For a ParMax 2.9 pump the pump current will vary depending on the amount of back pressure, but typically it is about 5amps with the tap open.  The recommended fuse is 10A to allow for the start-up surge.  Cable size depends upon the cable length to manage the volt drop.

Here is the ParMax 2.9 tech stuff  -  http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/31X95_32600_43000-1810.pdf

2 hours ago, Sweeny Todd said:

Can you paste a link to the pump specs?