Mooring overnight on GU into Birmingham

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

We are doing the Warwickshire ring Clockwise this week with the family/Grandkids . We are heading up Hatton tomorrow and then past Knowle. What is the last safe stopping point for an overnight stop before the outskirts of Brum? The following night we want to get to Drayton manager. Is the Boat inn at Catherine De barnes any good? I will check canalplan for the timings to there. Currently by Tescos in Warwick.

Catherine de Barnes is usually mentioned as the last safe place to stop, we stopped there about four yeas ago, I tried to go into the pub but my instinct told me that a bottle of beer on the boat would be nicer, maybe that's unfair, depends on what sort of pub you like. The North Stratford and Edgbaston is a much nicer approach to Brum.

..............Dave

26 minutes ago, dmr said:

Catherine de Barnes is usually mentioned as the last safe place to stop, we stopped there about four yeas ago, I tried to go into the pub but my instinct told me that a bottle of beer on the boat would be nicer, maybe that's unfair, depends on what sort of pub you like. The North Stratford and Edgbaston is a much nicer approach to Brum.

..............Dave

Was it too middle class for you?

57 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

We are doing the Warwickshire ring Clockwise this week with the family/Grandkids . We are heading up Hatton tomorrow and then past Knowle. What is the last safe stopping point for an overnight stop before the outskirts of Brum? The following night we want to get to Drayton manager. Is the Boat inn at Catherine De barnes any good? I will check canalplan for the timings to there. Currently by Tescos in Warwick.

We've moored and used the Boat Inn, it gets very busy. Each time we've eaten there the meals have been fine and not too expensive so good if you there are a number of you.

20 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Was it too middle class for you?

That's an interesting notion, I have never really thought that class defined a good pub. It just looked like a family eating type place rather than a proper pub.

The old notion of the working class public bar is mostly out of date (Ma Pardoe excepted), many real drinking public bars are now full of University types and CAMRA men who tend to be rather middle class.

Just off for a pint in that rough old Baltic fleet where at least one of the bar staff has a degree and posh upbringing!

..............Dave

28 minutes ago, dmr said:

That's an interesting notion, I have never really thought that class defined a good pub. It just looked like a family eating type place rather than a proper pub.

The old notion of the working class public bar is mostly out of date (Ma Pardoe excepted), many real drinking public bars are now full of University types and CAMRA men who tend to be rather middle class.

Just off for a pint in that rough old Baltic fleet where at least one of the bar staff has a degree and posh upbringing!

..............Dave

I made that point because to the uninitiated your post might have read that Catherine-de-Barnes was still a borderline dodgy area.

It's a Chef & Brewer pub so you may well have been wise in your choice if you just wanted a drink. I find the best pubs are classless in the sense that they target folk who like good quality drink (and food if that's what they do) rather than any particular sort of clientele. I also prefer places that think beyond having a zillion cask ales on offer.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I made that point because to the uninitiated your post might have read that Catherine-de-Barnes was still a borderline dodgy area.

It's a Chef & Brewer pub so you may well have been wise in your choice if you just wanted a drink. I find the best pubs are classless in the sense that they target folk who like good quality drink (and food if that's what they do) rather than any particular sort of clientele. I also prefer places that think beyond having a zillion cask ales on offer.

JP

Ok  it was an interesting thing to say.  We are in Liverpool just now and drinking rather too much as there are some great pubs here. I was thinking about your post tonight and realise that Liverpool is perhaps the most classless of any place we go . Drinking at the Baltic fleet again tonight and always get involved in conversation with locals and its almost independent of class and politics, but there is perhaps an assumption here that everybody is left of centre.

I grew up in Brum and very very close to GU through Tyseley and Sparkhill but don't think I would moor there.

Chef and Brewer are really not for me, but its no problem, it keeps he crowds out of the pubs that I like. :D

.............Dave

9 hours ago, dmr said:

Ok  it was an interesting thing to say.  We are in Liverpool just now and drinking rather too much as there are some great pubs here. I was thinking about your post tonight and realise that Liverpool is perhaps the most classless of any place we go . Drinking at the Baltic fleet again tonight and always get involved in conversation with locals and its almost independent of class and politics, but there is perhaps an assumption here that everybody is left of centre.

I grew up in Brum and very very close to GU through Tyseley and Sparkhill but don't think I would moor there.

Chef and Brewer are really not for me, but its no problem, it keeps he crowds out of the pubs that I like. :D

.............Dave

I currently live very close to the GU through Acocks Green and Tyseley and walk the dog on that stretch most days when home.

I would be happy to moor here but less so if the boat had to be left alone. There is very little to leave the boat for in the immediate area so that's not really a problem. If it would simplify your plans, I wouldn't let mooring here put you off.

Frank.

17 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I currently live very close to the GU through Acocks Green and Tyseley and walk the dog on that stretch most days when home.

I would be happy to moor here but less so if the boat had to be left alone. There is very little to leave the boat for in the immediate area so that's not really a problem. If it would simplify your plans, I wouldn't let mooring here put you off.

Frank.

I deduce that you are not a train spotter :D

..............Dave

33 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Frank.

From memory, it isn't easy to put in mooring spikes on that stretch

Richard

The Knowle locks are very, very heavy, you really need two people on each gate. (That's 'cos they're quite deep). Then the canal runs through a long cutting that never seems to end...

After that it's quite pleasant up to C de B

4 hours ago, dmr said:

I deduce that you are not a train spotter :D

..............Dave

Ah, yes. Was thinking of pubs, restaurants and shops (well pubs mainly). Forgot the rail museum.

4 hours ago, RLWP said:

From memory, it isn't easy to put in mooring spikes on that stretch

Richard

It's not too bad, you do see an occasional moorer, even the odd hire boat.

There are also some rings on the tow path side near the remains of Tyseley wharf. Depth can be a problem.

12 minutes ago, frahkn said:

There are also some rings on the tow path side near the remains of Tyseley wharf. Depth can be a problem.

In remember mooring there in 1973 in an ex-working "camping boat", when it got too dark to continue.

We woke up the next morning to a row of factory workers, standing outside the factory having a smoke, and watching us get up and breakfast.

Hate to say this but .......

Catherine de Barnes to Drayton Manor is do-able in a fairly long day but did you know that Garrison Locks are closed by one of C&RTs Summer stoppages?

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/10486/garrison-flight-lock-1-lock-3-lock-4-and-lock-5

It means diverting via the Aston Flight giving a longer journey + 12 extra locks which would make it doubtful.

Suggest it could be done by carrying on to the Facilities block by Tyseley Top Lock and overnighting there.

Not the prettiest of spots but is behind a secure C&RT fence

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

4 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Catherine de Barnes to Drayton Manor is do-able in a fairly long day but did you know that Garrison Locks are closed by one of C&RTs Summer stoppages?

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/10486/garrison-flight-lock-1-lock-3-lock-4-and-lock-5

It means diverting via the Aston Flight giving a longer journey + 12 extra locks which would make it doubtful.

Suggest it could be done by carrying on to the Facilities block by Tyseley Top Lock and overnighting there.

Geoff

Well spotted, given you have to go via Aston, why not go the North Stratford route anyway, much nicer.

48 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Well spotted, given you have to go via Aston, why not go the North Stratford route anyway, much nicer.

The beer is better on the North Stratford route too.

18 nice locks, 2 lift bridges (the least said about the first one the better!) then about an hour or so to the Blue Bell.

Overnight there, the moorings beyond the bridge are nicer than the ones by the pub, less gloomy, then a 4 or 5 hour, lock free run into Brum.

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

The beer is better on the North Stratford route too.

18 nice locks, 2 lift bridges (the least said about the first one the better!) then about an hour or so to the Blue Bell.

Overnight there, the moorings beyond the bridge are nicer than the ones by the pub, less gloomy, then a 4 or 5 hour, lock free run into Brum.

Agreed it is a prettier route but to get to Drayton Manor it would add a lot of time even diverting via Aston when you add on the Farmers Briidge flight to the equation.

6 hours ago, Geoff said:

Geoff

Oh,that is a bit of a bummer. That's going to add a few hours then.

Just doing a search on Tyseley top lock and cant see any locks at Tyseley so not sure where teh C&RT place is.

We didnt quite make it to Catherine de Barnes today though - only getting to the black boy pub before Knowle. Didnt get the heads up re the closure until after the junction with the north stratford. We did check the C&RT site this morning but must have missed the Garrison locks  announcement. The volunteer locky at Hatton told us he thought the Aston flight was shut!!

So I will have a look on canalplan to see what the timings are but looks like we will be on the GU up to Bordsley junct then Ashton Junct then Salford junc then east on the B&F. Any other options other than Tyseley top lock (which I cant find) circa 8 hrs from the Black boy.

7 hours ago, Geoff said:

Geoff

He means Camp Hill Top Lock.  A little beyond Tyseley.

He means Camp Hill, i.e. The first narrow lock that you hit at the end of the summit pound above Knowle.  It is not the most attractive spot, but there is secure offside mooring.

if you are at the Black Boy then it would be a rather short day to the top of Camp Hill.  If you have time you could still turn round, winding hole at end of boat club moorings, and go North Stratford.

39 minutes ago, john6767 said:

He means Camp Hill, i.e. The first narrow lock that you hit at the end of the summit pound above Knowle.  It is not the most attractive spot, but there is secure offside mooring.

if you are at the Black Boy then it would be a rather short day to the top of Camp Hill.  If you have time you could still turn round, winding hole at end of boat club moorings, and go North Stratford.

That almost sounds like a plan.

Not researched the centre of Brum. Is it easy to find a berth there? Recommendations.