Changing fuel filter Isuzu 35

Featured Posts

My engine has 5,000 hrs. When it was new and I changed the fuel filter, it started first time, spluttered a little, then continued as normal. For the last of years it started first time, spluttered a little then died. On starting it again, back to normal. However yesterday after the fuel filter change, it started OK then died. It did this for several restarts to the stage that I got a bit worried. Eventually the fuel got through and all is well. 

Should Isuzu 35s be bled in any way after a fuel interruption, and if so how?

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

My engine has 5,000 hrs. When it was new and I changed the fuel filter, it started first time, spluttered a little, then continued as normal. For the last of years it started first time, spluttered a little then died. On starting it again, back to normal. However yesterday after the fuel filter change, it started OK then died. It did this for several restarts to the stage that I got a bit worried. Eventually the fuel got through and all is well. 

Should Isuzu 35s be bled in any way after a fuel interruption, and if so how?

Thanks.

That engine I think should have an electric fuel pump and be self bleeding. After fitting a new filter just turn on the ignition key for a minute or so before starting up, you should hear the pump whining if you listen carefully while its self bleeding the system.

• 2 years later...

Can I re-open this topic please.

Had recent fuel filter changes done in boat yards, until now..... Just done an oil and oil filter change and a fuel filter change. Exactly the same problem as I had before with the engine spluttering and then cutting out.

As advised, I left the ignition on for a minute before attempting to start it to allow the electric fuel pump to prime. Couldn’t hear any “ticking”, and struggled to get the engine to keep going.

OK after about the fifth or six attempt. Do I have a problem with the fuel pump, or am I missing a trick in bleeding it?

Thanks.

This may not apply but on some Seat (i.e. VW) diesel car engines the instructions are to switch the ignition on and off half a dozen times to bleed the fuel filter.  The logic is that the fuel pump only runs for a set period of time.  Might be worth a try next time.