Questions, Advice and Discussio boating Adventure.

Calranthe

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I'm not sure that boat exists 

oh it does, we have seen a lot that fit the bill 90% but nothing that stands out, , http://sealine.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=505992 the back end is perfect for Paola to get on and off 

http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/motorboat/broom-30/153677 broom 30 really nice setup

We are in no rush at all and I have a few boats on the watch list more the brand and model that either works or have been modified, seen a really nice Broom I think it was with a fully enclosed deck and full size doors on the side with access ramp unfortunately it was petrol.

http://www.boatshed.com/birchwood_33-boat-206747.html A nice birchwood 33

A lot of them tick some of the boxes and we are flexible on some things lie fly bridge, if it had one it just would not get used.

Edited by Calranthe

18 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

Thank you for the suggestions.

It is really nice how much this community looks out for each other.

I guess it does no harm to put the budget out there.

General goal a river/coastal cruiser displacement hull, diesel twin engine, shaft drive, 6-10 knots cruising, economical, real bedroom, aft pilot (fly bridge not needed as Paola would never be able to get up on there)

GRP preferred 28-38ft, heating and insulation, clear outside access for Pilot (yes Paola wants to learn how to pilot but worst case scenario I need to be able to moor up solo kathleen was very good for that).

Good storage, shower and toilet facilities including both sea and river ability, good cooking facilities and fridge, a real bed, good quality large table.

Age does not matter as long as it is in good condition.

Ability for an infirm person to get on and off (Broom, Sealine and others have different ways of handling this, some have low back ends others doors in the Transom or in the case of the Broom 33 some of them have a side door with a hatch, Paola can walk hand holds and good quality railings help a lot)

Maximum allocated (and by that I mean absolute maximum) buying amount £40,000 with a £5,000 fund plus monthly budget for boat normal stuff £1,000. it should be obvious that if we pay even close to the maximum it will have to be really special, much more likely to spend 15-30 and the rest on modifications, service and turning it into a home away from home.

We are in no rush as time at the moment is taken up with hospital appointments and Doctors visits, even if it takes us a year or more to find the right one.

Did you see the PM I sent this morning ?

I have been to see it - looks promising.

90%+ to your spec and within lower price range - they are out there, but I still think for your requirements 28 foot is too small.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Did you see the PM I sent this morning ?

I have been to see it - looks promising.

90%+ to your spec and within lower price range - they are out there, but I still think for your requirements 28 foot is too small.

Looking in to it now :) and yes I think bigger is better.

Don't forget with boats that have a door in the transom that a lot of the time you will be moored side onto the bank so look how easy access is from the side to the bathing platform as well.

Some are not very easy to get on at all.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Don't forget with boats that have a door in the transom that a lot of the time you will be moored side onto the bank so look how easy access is from the side to the bathing platform as well.

Some are not very easy to get on at all.

True we discounted a few like that but some the bathing platform is big enough that walking on from the side is fine.

48 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

True we discounted a few like that but some the bathing platform is big enough that walking on from the side is fine.

Make sure the platform extends right to the side of the boat. A lot don't or have large comings that extend to the rear of the platform and make it difficult to access when moored side on.

Calranthe, as you are looking for a boat that you may be able / want to take to sea have you knowledge of coastal waters, tides, what the maximum wind / sea state your boat will be capable of? May I suggest you look at the RYA web site, minimum level Coastal Skipper to see what knowledge level you require. Sorry can't link to it the moment as I am on a tablet.

Taking a boat to sea is a "whole different ball game" to canal /  non tidal river cruising.

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Calranthe, as you are looking for a boat that you may be able / want to take to sea have you knowledge of coastal waters, tides, what the maximum wind / sea state your boat will be capable of? May I suggest you look at the RYA web site, minimum level Coastal Skipper to see what knowledge level you require. Sorry can't link to it the moment as I am on a tablet.

Taking a boat to sea is a "whole different ball game" to canal /  non tidal river cruising.

Already planned for that once we have the boat (we will be exploring all the none tidal rivers before doing anything more adventurous but thank you it is very good advice.

7 hours ago, Calranthe said:

Already planned for that once we have the boat (we will be exploring all the none tidal rivers before doing anything more adventurous but thank you it is very good advice.

To explore all if the non tidal rivets you will need to travel on tidal rivers and the coast also!

I think you need to do a bit more research first.

First off.  Where do you plan to keep the boat?

i get the impression that the OP intends using the boat on canals for a while and when he feels able will tackle rivers and tidal waters and perhaps the sea.  I have no doubt he will not move on till he feels suitably equipped to do so 

He can change where he moors in the future if and when he extends his range. 

Haggis 

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, haggis said:

i get the impression that the OP intends using the boat on canals for a while and when he feels able will tackle rivers and tidal waters and perhaps the sea.  I have no doubt he will not move on till he feels suitably equipped to do so 

He can change where he moors in the future if and when he extends his range. 

Haggis 

Yes but to find a boat that is suitable for the canals and the rivers, estuaries and coast is really going to be a challenge.

If we know where they plan to keep it then we can look at things like air draft restrictions, draft restrictions etc and narrow down their choices somewhat.

The lowest bridge that we have to contend with in our local cruising ground is 8ft air draft for example which would rule out all of the OP's boats in post 201 for example.

Ah, I see where you are coming from. It depends on whether the OP intends taking years to build up to sea trips (in which case a boat change can take place then) or whether he sees sea trips happening within the next couple of years 

Haggis 

Rivers not rivets and the practicality of the situation is this, the place we liked the most was the Trent river, we love canals still but given a choice between a GRP boat made for canal's or one for rivers and coastal we feel that more use would come from river and coastal, we will not rush it there is a lot of non tidal rivers to explore first, then tidal and then coastal and who knows maybe in 5 years time we will be traveling down the coast of France towards Spain.

In theory Kathleen could have done all three after all she was under propped I think the term is because she her cruising speed was too fast for canals  but it would take a crazier person than me to take a 20ft out on the coast.

So the plan is take our time find a boat that fits our needs with a little bit of flexibility and explore the Rivers first.

25 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

Rivers not rivets and the practicality of the situation is this, the place we liked the most was the Trent river, we love canals still but given a choice between a GRP boat made for canal's or one for rivers and coastal we feel that more use would come from river and coastal, we will not rush it there is a lot of non tidal rivers to explore first, then tidal and then coastal and who knows maybe in 5 years time we will be traveling down the coast of France towards Spain.

In theory Kathleen could have done all three after all she was under propped I think the term is because she her cruising speed was too fast for canals  but it would take a crazier person than me to take a 20ft out on the coast.

So the plan is take our time find a boat that fits our needs with a little bit of flexibility and explore the Rivers first.

Right so to make the most of the Trent and Soar you need a boat with an air draft of less than 7'4".

This rules out all of your choices so far. 

If you forego part of the soar you can increase that max air draft to 8ft.

ETA: Your draft wants to be max about 3ft as well. Anymore and you will struggle on the Nottingham canal. We knock the bottom at 3ft draft.

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

A good read is Arthur Ransomes ''We didn't mean to go to sea''. The North sea is where they rescued Sinbad the kitten from a bit of floating wreckage, which they revived with warm milk.

And "Secret Waters" 

Great spot the Walton Backwaters! 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

And "Secret Waters" 

Great spot the Walton Backwaters! 

Indeed, I know them quite well.  They took Sinbab there to guard the camp while they went off with the Mastadon.

If the OP bases their boat on the non tidal Trent between Nottingham and Cromwell and has no interest in the upper reaches of the Trent or the Soar then their air draft can increase to a max of 12'5".

This would limit their non tidal cruising to the stretch between Nottingham and Cromwell which personally I think they would get fed up of pretty quickly. 

From there however they have a wealth of waterways when they decide to venture onto tidal waters.

If they keep their air draft below 9ft they can go through the bridges at Lincoln and onto the Witham. 

Stick below 10ft and they have the Selby canal at their disposal. Most of the other large waterways in the area are fine up to an air draft of about 12ft.

20 hours ago, Calranthe said:

oh it does, we have seen a lot that fit the bill 90% but nothing that stands out, , http://sealine.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=505992 the back end is perfect for Paola to get on and off 

http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/motorboat/broom-30/153677 broom 30 really nice setup

We are in no rush at all and I have a few boats on the watch list more the brand and model that either works or have been modified, seen a really nice Broom I think it was with a fully enclosed deck and full size doors on the side with access ramp unfortunately it was petrol.

http://www.boatshed.com/birchwood_33-boat-206747.html A nice birchwood 33

A lot of them tick some of the boxes and we are flexible on some things lie fly bridge, if it had one it just would not get used.

Have you considered something like this:

http://www.norfolkboatsales.co.uk/used-boats/alphacraft-29-brink-of-joy-250.asp

It might not be a pretty boat and it won't have the coastal capabilities you want later on, but it is a nice safe and easy boat to learn on (I know this particular boat as we hired it several times many years ago).

The floor layout is all single level so will be easy to move around, plenty of storage space, easy to get on an off and most of all is very roomy for the 30ft length.

It will handle tidal waters, after all the Broads are tidal. And if/when you decide you want to do some coastal cruising it will be an easy boat to sell and will hold it's money well.

There are loads of the Broads type boats that will fall well within your budget and under. Just a few more examples below:

http://www.norfolkboatsales.co.uk/used-boats/sheerline-24-brink-of-peace-608.asp

http://www.nya.co.uk/alpha35centrecockpit-1.html

https://www.tbsboats.com/boats-for-sale/alpha-32/

https://www.tbsboats.com/boats-for-sale/alphacraft-34/

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, bizzard said:

And they brought dear little Sinbad back safe and sound all the way from Flushing.

You just woken up biz? Or are you sleep typing:)

Flushing you say, that should be on the toilet thread, some heavy shit going on there. 

Edited by rusty69