BCN Challenge 2018

RLWP

Featured Posts

The BCN Challenge is tough:

34871982_617064058667976_290087064743968

34689417_617072178667164_138170766936611

Last one is Henry have a break at Norton Canes whilst I pulled bits of carpet off our prop, same pattern as the carpet we caught last year but this time got two pieces not one! Got to be three next time.  I am having slight difficulties in classifying Henry as a 42kg whippet . . .

There is an album of random photos here. Random as they are so far from three cameras and I have yet to get round to sorting them into date order, plus photos to add from Sue's phone

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Any news on the 2019 challenge?

Not had any emails on it yet, presuming the new organisers do have the email list.  However there was a post on facebook with some details, so perhaps that is how they are going to communicate.  I can’t find the post anymore, someone better at Facebook may be able to, but the singificant point was that the finish is Oozells St Loop!

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Not had any emails on it yet, presuming the new organisers do have the email list.  However there was a post on facebook with some details, so perhaps that is how they are going to communicate.  I can’t find the post anymore, someone better at Facebook may be able to, but the singificant point was that the finish is Oozells St Loop!

OK

got an email this morning, reproduced below. I must try and get back for it this year

The 2019 BCN Marathon Challenge will take place on the weekend of the 25th / 26th May 2019, starting at 8am on Saturday 25th May from anywhere on the BCN and ending at 2pm on the 26th May in the Oozells Street Loop, to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the BCN arriving in Birmingham.

The cruising log will be distributed shortly, highlights will include:

Starting point bonus:

Anglesey basin

Bordesley Junction

Cannock Extension canal

Delph bottom lock

Fazeley Junction

Parkhead top lock

Walsall Town Arm

Bonus points for navigating the Dudley Tunnel

Bonus points for best dressed boat, the theme being 250 years of the BCN

The Shopping Trolley trophy for the largest amount of rubbish collected

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Link did work when I tried it but not when I posted here. Will try again.

Edited by Rob-M

11 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

How daft am I for planning to enter in a fibreglass boat with an outdrive?  (Oh, also might end up single handing it as it looks like Daniel H is stealing my crew)

The 2018 fibreglass entry with an outboard sank

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

The 2018 fibreglass entry with an outboard sank

However , it had competed very well in the previous 3 and had lots of lovely pate and beer on board.

20 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

And getting proper food

:)

Where are we all going to moor?

You shouldn't have to worry about that...

I hope there is a plan for mooring. Could be fun with the trip boats. At least there is bound to be room for a little 'un.

Overall though a finish in central Birmingham is a good idea. Hope the BCNS use it for a bit of publicity.

JP

Have reported my own post to propose the recent posts on this thread are put into a new 'BCNS Challenge 2019' thread.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

• 2 months later...
On 22/09/2018 at 13:21, captain birdseye said:

got an email this morning, reproduced below. I must try and get back for it this year

The 2019 BCN Marathon Challenge will take place on the weekend of the 25th / 26th May 2019, starting at 8am on Saturday 25th May from anywhere on the BCN and ending at 2pm on the 26th May in the Oozells Street Loop, to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the BCN arriving in Birmingham.

The cruising log will be distributed shortly, highlights will include:

Starting point bonus:

Anglesey basin

Bordesley Junction

Cannock Extension canal

Delph bottom lock

Fazeley Junction

Parkhead top lock

Walsall Town Arm

Bonus points for navigating the Dudley Tunnel

Bonus points for best dressed boat, the theme being 250 years of the BCN

The Shopping Trolley trophy for the largest amount of rubbish collected

I am struggling to find any mention of the 2019 Challenge, rules, or how to enter - can anyone direct me to the right place please? 

2 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

I am struggling to find any mention of the 2019 Challenge, rules, or how to enter - can anyone direct me to the right place please? 

There was a link on the BCNS Facebook page but it seems to have gone very quiet at the moment.