BCN Challenge 2018

RLWP

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

So it was YOU that lost the pin!  Sir! Sir! We know who broke it sir!

There was at least one boat that backed up after us, we scuppered the gate of lock 7 from opening.

The crew of Tawny and the young lad of the boat from Aylesbury Basin(one of the Tidy family?) managed to make this navigable for the rest of the challengers and Richard put a bin bag taped over the offending broken paddles to make sure nobody else fell victim to the bent arm.

It was reported at the time, just after the problem at the lock 2 down was fixed by Richard (battery blocking lock gate).

The pin was still connected at 6.30am Sunday morning!!

Richard is filling out the approved contractor paperwork as we speak....?

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The crew of Tawny and the young lad of the boat from Aylesbury Basin(one of the Tidy family?) managed to make this navigable for the rest of the challengers and Richard put a bin bag taped over the offending broken paddles to make sure nobody else fell victim to the bent arm.

It was reported at the time, just after the problem at the lock 2 down was fixed by Richard (battery blocking lock gate).

The pin was still connected at 6.30am Sunday morning!!

Richard is filling out the approved contractor paperwork as we speak....?

The lad was Andrew Haysom, you'll probably see his name on the winners trophy. We followed him and Barry up the 21, Andrew sent Barry off to clear the flight of the boats holding them up whilst he single handed without holding anyone up.

38 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The lad was Andrew Haysom, you'll probably see his name on the winners trophy. We followed him and Barry up the 21, Andrew sent Barry off to clear the flight of the boats holding them up whilst he single handed without holding anyone up.

For a young lad he boats like a 50 year old .:D

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

I have not seen twitter but think that the pin has been taken out by whoevever is fixing said paddle to show how much the rod is bent.??

Makes sense to me

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I have not seen twitter but think that the pin has been taken out by whoevever is fixing said paddle to show how much the rod is bent.??

The wording from Twitter acompanying the pictures is

#Walsall Lock 5 - Disconnected paddle rod & loose bracket causing the problem. @CanalRiverTrust  @CRTWestMidlands

Also since tweeted that it has been resolved and reopened.

4 hours ago, Rob-M said:

There was at least one boat that backed up after us, we scuppered the gate of lock 7 from opening.

It definitely worked fine when we reversed back up at midnight! 

Had a great challenge again despite the weather, and our crew are already trying to book babysitters for next year! Now moored back in central Birmingham after a relaxing couple of days. Here's some photos from the weekend: BCN Challenge 2018, not many of other boats as we hardly saw any until the finish. Not expecting to score very highly, although top half of the table would be good. 

Any hints on next year's finish?

On 28/05/2018 at 09:06, john6767 said:

Not sure, I think Laurie said he was at the finish by 11:30 on Saturday, and he was in Birmingham on Friday, so if you have all of Perry Bar to score you should not be last!

Clarrie finished at 11:10 am Saturday. 9 locks and 3 hours 10 mins cruising.

:)

Do we get a prize for being the second boat to reach the finish?

Rob and I arrived on Bimble Be somewhere around 11am on Sunday, having (I think) done 59 locks and about 20 hours cruising; 19 if you exclude our break in the Factory top lock to clear the prop. Barry told me that he and Andrew had done 95 locks, so as they were on a similar size boat also with a crew of two that's at least one boat that must have beaten us by a big margin. Knowing Andrew I imagine he was probably much more organised than us at clocking up the miscellaneous points; taking photos and answering questions etc.

It was nice doing the bit along to Titford Pools and back having it to ourselves; I can imagine that could have got quite congested later, although perhaps many boats got up the locks too late to do it before finishing.

1 hour ago, Graham and Jo said:

Drat, I can now only hope my entry is valid but as I didn't cruise a complete section I score no points at all.

Cheers Graham

That is fine you can do a part of a section, you just note the nearest lock or bridge that defines the part that you did, we have done that often.

Results are published. Indigo Dream was the winner and Clarrie wasn't last.

I think Northstar must have been docked some points as their score for the route they did with the crew should have been a lot more than it was. Maybe because they ran out of fuel and had to be towed.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Results are published. Indigo Dream was the winner and Clarrie wasn't last.

I think Northstar must have been docked some points as their score for the route they did with the crew should have scored a lot more than it did. Maybe because they ran out of fuel and had to be towed.

JP

Where are the results? Not that I'm desperate to know how Team Tawny did, or anything, you understand.

MP.