BCN Challenge 2018

RLWP

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

As I mentioned Dotterel had to pull out of the challenge. We moored Friday night at Perry Barr top lock and were intending to set off at some point to head back to Calcutt via the Fazeley Junction route. 

Tawny Owl passed us and offered to help us down the locks. We weren't quite ready to go but appreciated the offer very much.

So we finally set off and went to Salford Junction. I informed the organisers of course. John has told me to submit my log showing that we did do a bit of the BCN during the challenge, with the comment 'you never know'

Do you think Laurie's wooden spoon is threatened for the second year running?

Cheers Graham

Not sure, I think Laurie said he was at the finish by 11:30 on Saturday, and he was in Birmingham on Friday, so if you have all of Perry Bar to score you should not be last!

47 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Not sure, I think Laurie said he was at the finish by 11:30 on Saturday, and he was in Birmingham on Friday, so if you have all of Perry Bar to score you should not be last!

And we get extra points per lock on length. Laurie will get the bonus for finishing early though. This may be an exciting dash to the bottom.

Cheers Graham

6 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

And we get extra points per lock on length. Laurie will get the bonus for finishing early though. This may be an exciting dash to the bottom.

Cheers Graham

Aggghhhhhh just did the maths and I think we may get 7 points more than Laurie.

Cheers Graham

19 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Went through the pools this morning along with Tawny Owl.

IMG_20180528_110303738.jpg.6bf8305c97df73cf6c20ec248b45a512.jpg

Easiest way to turn round anyway!   I got stuck right over that side last year, but I think the depth was better this year, not surprising with all the water running off the M5.

Thanks to p6rob for having me aboard, had a great weekend and never got more than a bit damp myself, always managed to be undercover when the serious rain came down. I think our 50 locks on the Saturday were enough to ensure a respectable mid table finish. We both felt rather tired on Sunday, Rob after his heroic effort getting the sofa cushion cover off the prop in the rain, and me because my left knee was hurting a bit, so our early finish (second, about a day after Clarrie) felt like a good idea.

It was good to meet a few forum members and put names to faces, and Barney too. He looked pleased to see us, but I think he smiles all the time to be polite actually. Sitting there on the roof going up Perry Barr locks in hot sunshine, he was probably really thinking "What's a dinosaur got to do to get a cup of tea on this boat?".

I think next year's rules should include a method of working out a score for Barney so he can be in the table too.

I have learned that the Tame Valley mattress is a real thing, I saw it.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

Thanks to p6rob for having me aboard, had a great weekend and never got more than a bit damp myself, always managed to be undercover when the serious rain came down. I think our 50 locks on the Saturday were enough to ensure a respectable mid table finish. We both felt rather tired on Sunday, Rob after his heroic effort getting the sofa cushion cover off the prop in the rain, and me because my left knee was hurting a bit, so our early finish (second, about a day after Clarrie) felt like a good idea.

It was good to meet a few forum members and put names to faces, and Barney too. He looked pleased to see us, but I think he smiles all the time to be polite actually. Sitting there on the roof going up Perry Barr locks in hot sunshine, he was probably really thinking "What's a dinosaur got to do to get a cup of tea on this boat?".

I think next year's rules should include a method of working out a score for Barney so he can be in the table too.

I have learned that the Tame Valley mattress is a real thing, I saw it.

It was an absolute pleasure, Peter. Thank you for being such a good sport.

Rob

1 minute ago, Theo said:

Just considering entering next year.  Do you get extra points for being decidedly on the old side?

Nick

You can't enter unless you are decidedly on the odd side

Oh - old! 

Richard

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Rumour has it that there was a big wooden boat full of animals in Brum at the weekend. 

Anyone see it?

Just got home and there has been flooding here, and the North Stratford overtopped the towpath.  I asked if it was the rain in the morning or the afternoon that caused the issue, they said it did not rain in the morning only in the night and the afternoon.  Apparently 4am on a Sunday counts as the night to some people!

43 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

50 locks done today with Captain Pegg to drop Vulpes back to its home mooring. Completed these much easier than some of them attempted on the weekend.

You found one of them extremely difficult today :P

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Just got home and there has been flooding here, and the North Stratford overtopped the towpath.  I asked if it was the rain in the morning or the afternoon that caused the issue, they said it did not rain in the morning only in the night and the afternoon.  Apparently 4am on a Sunday counts as the night to some people!

Lightweights,  4am thats early afternoon that is

We calculated that the lockage total for getting Tawny Owl to our start position, doing the challenge, and getting her home again was 139. The Moomins are back at Hockley Port and planning a day or two R&R, After that, we may go boating in Birmingham :)

The challenge was not to missed again this year. Thanks to all, and great to meet friends, old and new.

How was the pie?

MP.