BCN Challenge 2018

RLWP

Featured Posts

I'm heading into Brum from Hockley Heath tomorrow, too. Stopping off for supplies at Wedges Bakery and Lyons Boatyard.

Meeting Peter X at about 6:00PM. Is there enough of us in town for a pre-challenge banter?

Rob

On 22/05/2018 at 18:25, Victor Vectis said:

Well the smart money for last place has to been Clarrie. 

But the all important last but one position is wide open!

Following the mutiny on Red Wharf last year we’re planning a ‘social’ cruise this time. 

Post Office Vaults Saturday evening anyone?

I'll try and put up some stiff competition for that coveted last place, our first day doesn't involve any locks at all?

Locks pre and post challenge is part of the enjoyment, last year we boated in to Birmingham at about 1am Friday morning, then boated to the Black Country museum Friday for tunnel gauging and then down the Delph but had to drop down the bottom lock Saturday to get to our starting point.

This year will be a full day Friday then post challenge I think we our doing Titford to Droitwich in two days.

1 hour ago, Graham and Jo said:

Dotterel is Infront of Tawny Owl, now we just need to stay there. Cheers Graham

IMG_20180524_132924461.jpg

Where?

At Hatton??

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Firefly is still on the North Stratford, I am going to load supplies shortly and we will be heading into Birmingham tomorrow morning. Will anyone be around the centre of Birmingham tomorrow evening?

As I mentioned before it is just the two of us as crew this year, and Sally is a bit broken as of last week, so mostly will just be making tea, leaving me to deal with the boat.  Consequently we are not going to be doing our planned competitive route, and will be just doing it for fun (not that it is not always fun!) this year.

But I thought it was your turn to win this year!

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Spotted and jotted and definitely not sabotaged...

5DD750DE-4370-4B90-A294-F4B9033D2C8E.jpeg.362c753ab93273fdb9828c2e623f7adc.jpeg

Hey you, you are in my spot and need to move tomorrow morning ?

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

But I thought it was your turn to win this year!

Will have to put that on hold until next year.

Well we finally set off about 3:15 this afternoon. Knowle locks done and aiming for the top of Camp Hill tonight. Will be in Birmingham Centre tomorrow evening so say hi if you see us, but unlikely to be able to go out as have crew arriving late evening and a toddler to look after!

Just now, Rob-M said:

Just watching the news, they are in Walsall discussing fly tipping and said they have pulled 50 shopping trolleys out of the canal today.

There will be another 50 in there by Saturday.

11 minutes ago, Peter X said:

I pulled one out at the bottom of Ryders Green locks two years ago, and was told a lot go in just there from a nearby Asda; were these 50 trolleys there or in Walsall town centre?

Why didn’t you pull the rest out? You would have had at least 50 to choose from! Yes Asda is adjacent and they seem to take no steps to prevent their trolleys ending in the cut, often from the footbridge.

10 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Off to pack my suncream waterproofs ready for an early start in the morning to meet up with Captain Pegg for the next positioning move towards our starting point.

Forecast is rain and 16 celsius tomorrow. First job when we find the boat might be lighting the stove.

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Forecast is rain and 16 celsius tomorrow. First job when we find the boat might be lighting the stove.

I was thinking that, I have two bags of coal on the boat and was deciding if I should off load then and put them in the garage for next year, but I think that could be premature.

Edited by john6767

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

I was thinking that, I have two bags of coal on the boat and was deciding if I should off load then and put them in the garage for next year, but I think that could be premature.

I have bags of coal in the front locker that have been there for over a year. They were ballast for legging through Dudley Tunnnel on last year's Challenge.

Forgive me, but I won't believe you aren't being competitive until I see your score. No ambiguity for team Vulpes though, we are going for it in a big way. That increases the chance that it could go spectacularly wrong though. He who dares Rodney, he who dares...

JP

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I have bags of coal in the front locker that have been there for over a year. They were ballast for legging through Dudley Tunnnel on last year's Challenge.

Forgive me, but I won't believe you aren't being competitive until I see your score. No ambiguity for team Vulpes though, we are going for it in a big way. That increases the chance that it could go spectacularly wrong though. He who dares Rodney, he who dares...

JP

Funny you should say that, Sally was saying she was a bit better today, so we do have a plan B, which was plan A before the Kingswood incident.  I think it will be the current plan A though, we shall see this time tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Depends where we need to get to......

MP.

It does indeed ?