BCN Challenge 2018

RLWP

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Are the ante-post betting odds on the runners available yet?

Well the smart money for last place has to been Clarrie. 

But the all important last but one position is wide open!

Following the mutiny on Red Wharf last year we’re planning a ‘social’ cruise this time. 

Post Office Vaults Saturday evening anyone?

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

We let him on the boat this year instead of having to walk - what more does he want!

A nice bit a battenburg wiv the marzipan removed and a pot of tea! 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

A nice bit a battenburg wiv the marzipan removed and a pot of tea! 

He's a disaster with Battenburg because he won't eat regular polygons

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 22/05/2018 at 12:59, Laurie.Booth said:

Hope to move Clarrie tomorrow.

:)

Good to see Clarrie on her pre challenge shake down run, at Hockley Heath Wharf. 

Edited by p6rob

7 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

I have a horrible feeling that a plan to take 'Red Wharf' and "Melaluca' across the Wash next year was hatched in The Wellington last night.

That pub has a lot to answer for!

:unsure:  :boat:  :unsure:

You don't get any bonus points for that route.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I have no idea why Smelly finds that funny Rob, do you?

No, and not wanting to tempt fate but I don't find traveling round the BCN to be an issue with accumulating rubbish. On our boat the only blade full I've had recently was going through Fradley and it was black rope which I suspect at one time had been attached to a side fender. I must admit though I did end up going through our weedhatch to clear it as I couldn't unwind it off the propshaft using a short shaft.

In my experience so far, I'd say the BCN is the most likely place to get something round the prop, and the Thames the least, so mrsmelly has a point. Nuneaton has no weedhatch of course, but on the Saturday morning of the challenge two years ago, doing the W&E going east from Wolverhampton, we made frequent stops to get junk off the prop. There was a lot of exploratory work with the cabin shaft going on.

I'm looking forward to a fun weekend which hopefully won't involve too much use of the weedhatch (if Bimble Be has one). p6rob is on his way with his freshly overplated boat and I'll be on the train tomorrow, fully fit after recovering from my major operation in February. I coped fine with a five day trip down the GU with NBT last week including some fairly hard work. After a short trip on Friday evening to our secret starting location, we'll be all set. 

Saturday's weather forecast for Birmingham is good, but Sunday looks interesting.

Last minute route checking taking Place.

Also stocking up on supplies.

Ill be heading from Lady Lane into Birmingham on Friday then meeting the crew for me to take them all for a meal at SmokeHaus Brindley Place ( I had to bribe them to do it after all).

Hope to see you all around and hope all have a great time.

Out of curiosity do we have an idea of amount of boats entered this year?

As for start positions ill need to get all up early Saturday and head up 3 locks for our start position. :)

See you all over the weekend

5 minutes ago, Kustomcut said:

Last minute route checking taking Place.

Also stocking up on supplies.

Ill be heading from Lady Lane into Birmingham on Friday then meeting the crew for me to take them all for a meal at SmokeHaus Brindley Place ( I had to bribe them to do it after all).

Hope to see you all around and hope all have a great time.

Out of curiosity do we have an idea of amount of boats entered this year?

As for start positions ill need to get all up early Saturday and head up 3 locks for our start position. :)

See you all over the weekend

Starting at Spon Lane Junction then?

Of course I won't mind if we end up in the same place because Vulpes and Carpe Vinum can fit in a lock together.

JP

8 minutes ago, Peter X said:

I'm not sure that doing locks before the start is a good tactic. Surely you get to the start point on Friday, have a bit of a lie-in, then get up and go with breakfast on the move?

Not if you are planning to set off from a location where you wouldn't want to stop the night before. Starting from somewhere like Spon Lane, Oldbury or Bradeshall Junctions is logical because you can complete a loop on the way back to Titford without repeating your route in the same direction for which you won't score points. No one sane would moor at Spon Lane or Oldbury (for reasons that anyone familiar with them will know) and Bradeshall isn't exactly a 'destination'.

The Challenge is also a social event and having a meal out on Friday night with the crew is part of the event.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Firefly is still on the North Stratford, I am going to load supplies shortly and we will be heading into Birmingham tomorrow morning. Will anyone be around the centre of Birmingham tomorrow evening?

As I mentioned before it is just the two of us as crew this year, and Sally is a bit broken as of last week, so mostly will just be making tea, leaving me to deal with the boat.  Consequently we are not going to be doing our planned competitive route, and will be just doing it for fun (not that it is not always fun!) this year.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Firefly is still on the North Stratford, I am going to load supplies shortly and we will be heading into Birmingham tomorrow morning. Will anyone be around the centre of Birmingham tomorrow evening?

As I mentioned before it is just the two of us as crew this year, and Sally is a bit broken as of last week, so mostly will just be making tea, leaving me to deal with the boat.  Consequently we are not going to be doing our planned competitive route, and will be just doing it for fun (not that it is not always fun!) this year.

I'm heading in tomorrow day time too from Lady Lane hopefully you wont pass me whilst I'm still sorting things out.

Evening I'm out but I will hopefully moor by the NIA so I have use of showers/toilet.

If you see me come say hi, I will be taking on board

Prosecco on tap

Ginger Beer 5.1% on tap

Brewdog Jackhammer Clone 7.3% on tap

All home made so come have a little drink if about

15 minutes ago, Kustomcut said:

I'm heading in tomorrow day time too from Lady Lane hopefully you wont pass me whilst I'm still sorting things out.

Evening I'm out but I will hopefully moor by the NIA so I have use of showers/toilet.

If you see me come say hi, I will be taking on board

Prosecco on tap

Ginger Beer 5.1% on tap

Brewdog Jackhammer Clone 7.3% on tap

All home made so come have a little drink if about

Should pass Lady Lane first thing, aiming to be in Birmingham by 1’ish.