BCN Challenge 2018

RLWP

Featured Posts

We'll be there on Tatty Lucy - hopefully not looking quite so tatty now!

Not being competitive this year, only have 2 additional crew one of whom is pregnant and banned from working locks! Planning a lightly locked route, and just taking it easy and see how we feel on the day. 

14 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Its almost that time of year again

So how many forum boats are entering this year?

I've entered, with Peter X as crew. Though, my boat is still at Kedian's, Hull survey and BSS is today but so far haven't managed to get the new engine running. Seem to be struggling with bleeding the bleeding thing!

Back in the water on Tuesday.

• Greenie 1

On 27/04/2018 at 08:47, p6rob said:

I've entered, with Peter X as crew. Though, my boat is still at Kedian's, Hull survey and BSS is today but so far haven't managed to get the new engine running. Seem to be struggling with bleeding the bleeding thing!

Back in the water on Tuesday.

Like the boat I'm recovering from major surgery; we'll be a dark horse, the boating equivalent of Bob Champion and Aldaniti except that p6rob has been in good health as far as I'm aware and we'll stay a dark horse, we won't win. Or get a film made about us. And unlike Bob Champion I wasn't near death, although the ambulance crew in November were rather concerned because my symptoms were similar to those of a heart attack. So not very equivalent really.

I'm almost fully recovered and just back from a weekend of boating, sort of. It was a maintenance weekend during which the boats moved a grand total of 80 feet onto an adjacent mooring. And I did very little maintenance, I was in the galley making a lot of tea and coffee and keeping the workers fed. But my training program for the BCN does include some proper boating this month.

4 hours ago, Peter X said:

Like the boat I'm recovering from major surgery; we'll be a dark horse, the boating equivalent of Bob Champion and Aldaniti except that p6rob has been in good health as far as I'm aware and we'll stay a dark horse, we won't win. Or get a film made about us. And unlike Bob Champion I wasn't near death, although the ambulance crew in November were rather concerned because my symptoms were similar to those of a heart attack. So not very equivalent really.

I'm almost fully recovered and just back from a weekend of boating, sort of. It was a maintenance weekend during which the boats moved a grand total of 80 feet onto an adjacent mooring. And I did very little maintenance, I was in the galley making a lot of tea and coffee and keeping the workers fed. But my training program for the BCN does include some proper boating this month.

@p6rob, is a gent and a pleasure to spend time with, just watch him when it comes to making turns, he has a desire to create his own new canal routes

Just seen that the canal has been re-watered between Dudley Port and Tipton and the stoppage is lifted. It was originally scheduled until the Friday before the challenge. There is a lot of floating rubbish though.

JP

• 3 weeks later...

Just over a week to go but it seems very quiet here.

Are we all preped, route planned, provisions (ie beer, gin, whisky etc) stowed?

As far as team 'Red Wharf' is concerned..........well, 1 out of 3 (almost)

RW currently moored in Newark, heading Brumwards.

ETA But the burning question to ask is has the BCNS ordered adequate supplies of malt and hop based refreshment for Sunday a'noon?

:cheers:

Edited by Victor Vectis

Dotterel is no where near ready. I haven't finished the routine maintenance yet, or flushed the water tank after the repaint, or sorted out the alternator issue, or cleaned it yet ( no water you see). Whiskey supplies are good though. 

Cheers Graham

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

I too thought that and asked our leader what the plans were, he asked Sue what the plans were.

Our plans involve cheese and biscuits and bogs.?

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I've been ordered to leave my fleas at home, they are so disappointed

Jason never went on a voyage without his golden fleas. I would take them otherwise you will end up in loads of Argoments at locks. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

Vulpes is ready and the journey toward the BCN starts tomorrow. I shall load essential provisions this evening.

JP

That's good news, I'm looking forward to a long days boating next Friday for the final positioning move.

11 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Are we all preped, route planned, provisions (ie beer, gin, whisky etc) stowed?

As far as team 'Red Wharf' is concerned..........well, 1 out of 3 (almost)

RW currently moored in Newark, heading Brumwards.

ETA But the burning question to ask is has the BCNS ordered adequate supplies of malt and hop based refreshment for Sunday a'noon?

:cheers:

You need to get a move on, you have a busy week to get to Brum.  When you plan to arrive?  As of yesterday Firefly is on the Birmingham level.

I have just read the latest Boundary Post, and in that they claim they will have more beer, and as there are all the other boats as well there is entertainment on the Sunday evening, although I expect I will be sleeping by then.

On 18/05/2018 at 21:10, john6767 said:

I have just read the latest Boundary Post, and in that they claim they will have more beer, and as there are all the other boats as well there is entertainment on the Sunday evening, although I expect I will be sleeping by then.

Good grief, The Boundary Post has a reader!!

:)

Tatty Lucy all painted, serviced, and loaded with cider ready to go (and get all the fresh paint scratched?)

Just heard last night our friend Steve might be able to join us again this year after initially saying he couldn't, so that was a nice surprise. Still planning an easy lightly locked route. Giving ourselves a year off and just cruising the bits we enjoy the most as requested by crew, who have stated they are definitely not being to be competitive this year!

8 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Good grief, The Boundary Post has a reader!!

:)

Shame it can't be sent by email, I might get a chance to read it then whilst it's still relevant for future events instead of waiting til I next get a chance to pick up our post from Somerset!

Tom

• Greenie 1

I saw our first challenge boat heading down Calcutt locks. I think it was North Star. Steered by someone I last saw steering the pair that won the 2016 challenge. 

Cheers Graham.

Ps Dotterel still isn't ready but is more ready than she was.

Vulpes is now in a safe, secure and secret location after having a much needed shake down of the engine. Most of the essential provisions remain intact but a small re-stock is in order.

Next move to another secret location on Friday.

JP