BCN Challenge 2018

RLWP

Featured Posts

I'd really like to take part in the challenge this year, and this can include help with moving a boat to and/or from the BCN before/after the weekend, if someone has room for me as crew. Regulars on the forum will be aware that I don't have my own boat but often crew for others, and am more than willing to put in the effort of a long day's work.

However there is a big snag, that I can't commit to anything for the time being. I had surgery last week; according to the surgeon it went well but the recovery takes months. In particular I'm told to slowly build up the amount of exercise I get but not to do heavy lifting for three months, which takes me to the middle of May. It's very likely I will be fully fit in time to do the Challenge, and realistically I'll get to a point some time in April where it becomes clear that my recovery is on schedule.

Anyone interested?

1 hour ago, larryjc said:

Good that'll give us something to aim for.

You won't beat Laurie to the wooden spoon starting from Fazeley

This is the man that managed one lock in one years challenge

Richard

• Happy 1

32 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

Getting to Titford is three days boating for Laurie with all those locks.

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

34 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Which pub did he manage to get the lock in?:)

Oh, I see ,the pub was called "The wooden spoon":giggles:

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Peter X said:

I'd really like to take part in the challenge this year, and this can include help with moving a boat to and/or from the BCN before/after the weekend, if someone has room for me as crew. Regulars on the forum will be aware that I don't have my own boat but often crew for others, and am more than willing to put in the effort of a long day's work.

However there is a big snag, that I can't commit to anything for the time being. I had surgery last week; according to the surgeon it went well but the recovery takes months. In particular I'm told to slowly build up the amount of exercise I get but not to do heavy lifting for three months, which takes me to the middle of May. It's very likely I will be fully fit in time to do the Challenge, and realistically I'll get to a point some time in April where it becomes clear that my recovery is on schedule.

Anyone interested?

I could be looking for a small crew. I'm not very competitive, so, as long as we participate and finish, I'm not bothered about scores.

My boat is going for overplating next month and had been planning a trip up to see my sister in Cheshire, with a detour across the Pontcyslltte aqueduct  once it's done but other things mean that trip is being postponed.

I'll also be part way through a refit, so it might mean sleeping on camp beds but, if that doesn't put you off, I will send off the paperwork.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, p6rob said:

I could be looking for a small crew. I'm not very competitive, so, as long as we participate and finish, I'm not bothered about scores.

Try the Hobbits,they always love a great adventure.:)

ETA.Especially if a ring is involved

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, p6rob said:

My boat is going for overplating next month and had been planning a trip up to see my sister in Cheshire, with a detour across the Pontcyslltte aqueduct  once it's done but other things mean that trip is being postponed.

I'll also be part way through a refit, so it might mean sleeping on camp beds but, if that doesn't put you off, I will send off the paperwork.

That sounds good. I'll be looking to make an effort, I don't want to go to Birmingham only to spend most of the weekend moored up, but equally I might not enjoy the pressure of being on a super-competitive boat where I get dragged away from my breakfast and end up eating my porridge cold. A nice solid top-half finish would be great.

I've been on a lot of very different narrow boats over the last few years, some of them very basic, and I'm sure a camp bed would be no problem because I've slept on those and worse before. When you get your boating as I do by crewing for others it's good to be flexible about everything.

As I've said, I can't guarantee to be fully fit by the end of May but the chances are I will be, I've noted the weekend in my diary and we can keep in touch about our plans; I'll PM you with my mobile number. If you enter and then I have to drop out, the chances are it'll be well before the event and you can find a substitute from CWDF.