Bow Thruster. (Girlie button)

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

I am fully competent and have no need for a cheat button of any kind, my skills know no bounds. 

Just to add 

My apologise to the boat I hit yesterday when I became distracted answering a query from another passing boat. Dab on a cheat button may of averted that. But as the great Nuneaton philosopher once said "hey Ho" 

Edited by reg
Speelchecka changed know no to no know

3 hours ago, mross said:

Yes, 'girly button' is male chauvenistic bombast and I will try not to use the term.  At work, I tried to stop my staff from using engineering terms such as 'pear shaped' and 'tits up' as they are similarly sexist.  

I wonder if wussy button would be acceptable.  It's pretty harmless to mock people who are not ashamed to demonstrate to the world that they have not mastered the tiller!

Any better suggestions for a new soubriquet?

mmmmm why make everything sexist. Tits up is because when a female drowns she floats err tits up, pear shaped is a simple female form some ladies have and calling something a girlie button just means a bit whimpish because like it or not Females ARE physicaly weaker than males generaly speaking of homo sapien if this were not and undisputed fact then men and women would compete together in such as the Olympic games and women would lose every time. Males are NOT superior to females but like it or not in 2017 we ARE different in many many ways. When the first bloke has a baby without medical interference I want to be his manager on ten percent of whatever he makes.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

"button - incompetent, for the use of"

Any reason why a competent person can't exercise their personal preference and use them if they so desire? :-)

Certainly, the use of a bow thrust does not necessarily demonstrate incompetency.

Howard

On 7/7/2017 at 08:17, mross said:

Girly button = bow thruster

Come to think of it  (still in naive mode) - aren't there two girly buttons - L&R or P&S - thus introducing some complexity into the decision.

27 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Come to think of it  (still in naive mode) - aren't there two girly buttons - L&R or P&S - thus introducing some complexity into the decision.

And dose the little arrow indicate which way the thrust goes or which way the bows go?

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Ideally wired randomly, so you have no idea the first time you press the button as to which way it will go..................

Better still, a little circuit which randomly swaps them so that every operation is a little adventure. 

I was stood on the bank at Boot Wharf a while ago with boats breasted up against the Wharf and other boats moored on the towpath side. It made the passage past a little narrow but nothing too challenging. Then we all looked up when we heard a not-very-long narrowboat whining its way up the cut. The only break from pressing the button was when he changed sides to correct his over-enthusiastic usage. He must have taken around 2 or 3 minutes to zig-zag past all the moored boats and the girlie buttons had no respite in all that time. I don't know whether he thought he was being clever and showing off but the only impression he left onlookers with was that he was a total and complete Richard Cranium. 

2 hours ago, Horace42 said:

The Vetus ones simply have red & green arrow shaped buttons, no text. Can be confusing when mounted on the side of the boat rather than across it.

On 06/07/2017 at 13:16, pete.i said:

I agree wholeheartedly. It is so nice to be on a forum where there are so many "fantastic experts" in the art of driving a boat. I do hope you all realise the sarcasm in this post.

We have been complimented today by two paid of foreign yachters.  One pair from Sweden the others from Belgium. 

Both pairs said they wouldn'tattempt Neptunes without a now thruster. 

We made it down unscathed. 

They made it down with far more fuss and thruster abuse!

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ok - Maybe it is just boats that I have owned that it works on. 

It has worked on every boat we have ever been on . Including ditch crawlers!

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

And dose the little arrow indicate which way the thrust goes or which way the bows go?

Depends what boat You are on!

On a ship, the IEEE rules state that the ship should move in the direction that the lever moves.  The bow and stern thrusters tend to have variable pitch propellers so a lever is more appropriate than buttons.  This seems eminently sensible.  A lever can be operated by feel, without having to look down.  

The girlie button discussions always makes me think why so called "traditional" boaters shun them yet they have an engine instead of a horse, a toilet instead of a bucket, they usually have heating throughout the boat, a TV or two, inverters, fridges & freezers, not to mention ovens, hobs and microwave ovens and mobile phones and internet.

Yet a girlie button is a complete no no.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Now now I don't believe you  have a Rosie & Jim :giggles:

I have a Rose and Gin, as seen last year on a boat on the Lancaster.

Cheers

David

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes  it could - thus introducing another decision - it is becoming a difficult job.

1 hour ago, Glynn said:

The girlie button discussions always makes me think why so called "traditional" boaters shun them yet they have an engine instead of a horse, a toilet instead of a bucket, they usually have heating throughout the boat, a TV or two, inverters, fridges & freezers, not to mention ovens, hobs and microwave ovens and mobile phones and internet.

I agree with you. People are sometimes very strange! I think it is a form of macho inverted snobbery. :-)

Howard

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or, once the stern is secured, engage gear and 'drive' the bow back into position.

I guess that works better if the dolly is near the side of the boat, if it's fairly central you probably don't get enough leverage for it to happen.

12 hours ago, Glynn said:

my (late) best friend would have described such folk as 'bloody tarts'.