Monitoring power Draw

DanB

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Took me about 5 minutes. 

Excellent. You'll be earning £120 an hour then. When can you get here?

(Edit to get my arithmetic right!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I had to laugh at this Tony :lol: I am not the only saddo that when he gets up for a wee in the dark looks at his battery montor then!!

Being "of a certain age" I also get up in the middle of the night for a wee. However I don't look at the battery metering, coz it's the opposite way to the loo, and I have to prioritise :lol:

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

From the moment of discharge sulphation starts to take place that reduces the capacity of the battery

Sulphation is what happens in a battery, the conversion of lead to lead sulphate, as it discharges. It's a necessary part of the chemical reaction. What wrecks batteries is the hardening of the lead sulphate crystals so that they cannot easily be turned back into lead if the battery (as you correctly say ) is left in a partially discharged state. Hence it needs recharging before this happens. It is our (myself and colleagues) conviction that an amount of solar keeps the batteries in a state of 'chemical flux' and helps to prevent the hardening of the crystals and thus extends battery life. I say 'conviction' because a real life A-B test is difficult to arrange so we have only observation and deduction. 

12 hours ago, hounddog said:

Sulphation is what happens in a battery, the conversion of lead to lead sulphate, as it discharges. It's a necessary part of the chemical reaction. What wrecks batteries is the hardening of the lead sulphate crystals so that they cannot easily be turned back into lead if the battery (as you correctly say ) is left in a partially discharged state. Hence it needs recharging before this happens. It is our (myself and colleagues) conviction that an amount of solar keeps the batteries in a state of 'chemical flux' and helps to prevent the hardening of the crystals and thus extends battery life. I say 'conviction' because a real life A-B test is difficult to arrange so we have only observation and deduction. 

Absolutely correct. I have seen batteries discharged so far that the polarity reverses, and when recharged gain full capacity (although their life will have been shortneed due to active material shedding because the plates have been stressed beyond design limits). 

As long as there is current flowing, either charging or discharging the lead sulphate does not seem to crystallise.